[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - Flume Slide Trail vs. Tripyramids North Slide

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Flume Slide Trail vs. Tripyramids North Slide 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Flume Slide Trail vs. Tripyramids North Slide

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:23 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:13 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:20 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Angela,

Can you expand on what specifically made you scared on the North Tri slide? If it was fear of falling / rolling 100s of feet, then the Flume Slide is definitely not as scary. Note that you are climbing the Flume Slide Trail, which is an overgrown eroded former slide. You are not climbing an open slide full of boulders / scree (which does exist... should you wish to climb it.)

NB: I haven't been on either since 2006...

Tim

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:37 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Yes, Tim, exactly! I was afraid of slipping and falling 100's of feet! So you have put my mind to ease! Thank you so very much!

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:58 am
Sovereign Woodsman

OK, glad to help. Now, onto adding 2013 to your username!

A representative stretch of the Flume Slide Trail

Tim

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Ill add that while you won't fall 100s of feet you can fall 50 feet or more and the traction and handholds are worse. Even with the exposure I've never heard of a fall on TriP's. I've heard of quite a few falls on FS including one when we were there on FOT48 last month where the girl had to be carried out after falling 50 feet or so and was saved from a worse fate by crashing into people below like a bowling ball. So less exposure but plenty of chances to fall. If you're uncomfortable with that stuff I'd take Osseo. Its a relatively mild trail with some unique ladders/steps and gets the same views on the final section at the top as well as a couple bonus viewpoints along the way. Beautiful woods and streams along the way too.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:12 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Tim, I am hoping to add that 2013! That's for sure... Thank you for all your help.

Thank you Granite Guy for your response as well.

I had no problems with the Chimney on Oseola... so I think that as long as I am aware, and climb slow and steady then I should be okay.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:27 am

Here's a couple more of Flume Slide.

I was nervous on it my first time because it was a week after this happened.
http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /109050029

Some nice hiker informed me of that as I was heading out. Jeez, thanks. :roll:

Second time. a month or so ago it was nothing. But it does have "No Fall Zones".

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:34 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thanks Joe! Everyone has been very helpful and i appreciate it very much!

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:53 am

Here's the most recent report from last month complete with more pics of the trail/rescue

I find the last one of them sitting in a restaurant having a beer a little odd to include but maybe that's just me.

And as I stated I've never heard of anyone falling on the Tri's and I've followed that stuff fairly closely for 20+ years. Has anyone else? Just curious.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:07 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I've done them both and would do the Tris again in a heartbeat but have no desire to do the Flume Slide again. As BHSF pointed out, the traction is a completely different animal from one to the other. Combine the Flume Slide's slippery rocks with the fact that there are wet spots almost all of the time and it just made for a much more stressful climb for me. But there are trees to grab on to if needed and some herd paths along side of the trail that I utilized. They're pretty dense (as least they were in 2009), but I had had it with slick slabs so a few branches to the face weren't so bad.

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:41 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

My Trip Reports:

Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:45 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:02 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next