Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Edmunds to Eisenhower or crawford to Pierce? (with kids) 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Edmunds to Eisenhower or crawford to Pierce? (with kids)
I'm trying to decide which hike to do next with my kids. They are 5 and 7 and have been hiking with me for a couple years so this won't be their first time, they are pretty good little hikers and have a couple 4000' done. I did some searching and found that Eisenhower and Pierce look like a good fit for our next hike but am having trouble deciding which to do? Is one trail nicer than the other? Has anyone done both and have a preference?

Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:44 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I've done both...both are relatively moderate and shouldn't be too much trouble for kids. The section on Mt. Eisenhower trail near the top is a little steeper, but again shouldn't be overwhelming for kids that age (I have a 6 year old that I'm thinking of as I write this).

My recommendation would be Crawford to Pierce. Its a family friendly trail, they might like the side path to Gibbs Brook, Pierce is more sheltered from the elements most of the way (its starting to get cold up there), and you have the option of stopping at Mizpah Hut which they might enjoy.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:02 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

As far as just the hikes themselves Ike is much more spectacular. Actually rises well above treeline instead of just poking out. I find CP to be quite boring without any views until the very tip top and then only partially open but then as Eric mentioned there are a few possible side attractions along the way there. With the nice weather forecast at the moment I'd do Ike if they're really into the hiking itself, but if there's a chance they'll get bored and need a change of scenery so to speak I'd do Pierce.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:21 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Pierce. Hands down

Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:41 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Crawford Path to Pierce has a better chance of finding a gray jay. My kids enjoy the gray jay encounters :) They also really enjoyed the loop to the hut for hot cocoa and a brownie, plus they liked looking down from the loft.

I can't imagine doing them singly at this point, so I will put in a plug for up Edmands (named for J. Rayner Edmands) and down Crawford or Mizpah.

Tim

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:44 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. We ended up trying the Edmunds Path up to the Eisenhower summit. I wish I had been able to do the loop because the kids really loved the hike and wanted to hike more! Hoping to try the Crawford path up to Pierce and the Hut before winter.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:50 am
Sovereign Woodsman

mmh2713 wrote:
Thank you for the replies and suggestions. We ended up trying the Edmunds Path up to the Eisenhower summit. I wish I had been able to do the loop because the kids really loved the hike and wanted to hike more! Hoping to try the Crawford path up to Pierce and the Hut before winter.

Don't feel bad, it's good to leave them wanting a bit more :)

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]