Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mt Pierce Mizpah Loop -- which direction? 
Sovereign Woodsman

madmattd wrote:
I did Edmands for the first time Saturday myself. Personally, I did not find it that great of a trail, but I seem to be in the minority

Glad it's not just me. Totally NOT impressed. Don't really understand what all the hub-bub is about.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:35 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I think Edmands Path gets a lot of praise because the footing and grades are really good by White Mountain standards. The only real steep rocky pitch is right above where the waterfall crosses the trail and a little bit on the summit push on Eisenhower Loop Trail.

The bottom mile is almost a pleasant walk in the woods.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:02 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

hwc1954 wrote:
I think Edmands Path gets a lot of praise because the footing and grades are really good by White Mountain standards. The only real steep rocky pitch is right above where the waterfall crosses the trail and a little bit on the summit push on Eisenhower Loop Trail.

The bottom mile is almost a pleasant walk in the woods.

Yes, and aside from that bottom mile (which is indeed a nice easy walk), I disagree with that assessment. IMO, it was fairly typical by White Mountain standards. The grade was fine, but I found the footing rather rough (and progressively worse) as soon as the trail started climbing, not just the section near the summit cone. I'd hike the trail again, I just didn't find it as nice as others have. But that's just me, one person's opinion. Ike's summit more than makes up for any shortcomings I see in the trail :)

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:59 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

As it turns out, I am lucky enough to be able to take vacation on short notice, so based on the stellar weather forecast I decided to come up for my annual trek (leaving today :( ).

Anyway I also hiked this trail for the first time on Sunday, based on the WMG guide description of "graded and moderate" and a good choice for a first 4K. However my experience was similar to madmattd: while the bottom part is indeed nice and gentle, I found the footing progressively worse as I got higher and ultimately did not even make it to Crawford Path. Out of my 4 hikes in 5 days, this one was my big disappointment. I actually felt Crawford Path up Mt Pierce was a better trail and would recommend that for a 1st 4K (which I did a few years back).

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:57 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Just to be clear. I did not find Edmands Path to be an easy hike. Quite the contrary, as my third 4000 footer, I found it right at my limit of endurance. Took me 7 hours up and back, so I was definitely not flying along! it's a tough grind up the middle section, more relentlessly steep than the overall distance/elevation would suggest.

But, I found the footing to be pretty good. I guess I have low standards! There weren't any places where I had to stop and think about how I was going to scramble up or down. Nothing like red rocks on Old Bridle Path where there just isn't any decent footing. No ledges that require hands and knees. Nothing that requires a butt slide on the way down. Not a lot on the way down that requires a bigger step down than is comfortable....

From a scrambling standpoint, it was easier than, say, Welch Dickey.

I actually found the boulder traverse at the very top of the trail to be the most challenging. Trekking poles were useless. It was a bit like a very long stream crossing.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2