Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Most difficult 4K? 
Sovereign Woodsman

Most difficult 4K?
I always read a lot on the Web about the easiest 4,000 footers, but after reading an old VFTT thread, I wondered what you good folks on here might think the most difficult 4K would be? This is a somewhat difficult question to answer, but you may consider distance, steepness, and terrain. Or you may consider other factors or personal experiences.

For me, out of the fifteen I've hiked, the Tripyramids were the toughest. Steep grades all throughout (except for Livermore Rd. and the section of the Mt. Tripyramid Trail below South Slide), rocky and rough footing on the Pine Bend Broook Trail and the south slide, and a long distance made it so.

Once I've hiked all of them, I'll come back with another answer.

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:33 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

As always, the answer is "It depends". If you consider the criteria of using the shortest / easiest route, and a single peak trip, then Adams probably wins (the greatest minimum elevation at 4400 feet). Other candidates are Owl's Head and any of the Bonds (long, but not particularly steep nor great elevation gains.) Exposure-wise, Jefferson, Washington and Adams are all pretty exposed.

That said, none of them are particularly difficult, IMO.

Tim

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:23 pm
Master Mountaineer

There are hard trails and easy trails on nearly every mountain. So my criteria for the "hardest" 4k would be the one that doesn't present any "easy" options.

For that, I'd go with Adams simply because every way up is either steep or long... but its entirely doable.

Like Tim, I haven't found any of the mountains "hard" in and of themselves. However, throw in some rain on the Tripyramids, or some extreme heat for Owl's Head, and you'll quickly encounter a challenge made more difficult simply by the weather.

In WMNF, I'd say the weather is the biggest challenge with hiking, not the terrain.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:52 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I agree with the others. It all depends on the person and route choice. Jefferson for example is pretty tough via Six Husbands but fairly easy up Caps Ridge IMO. If you have strong legs the steepness might not bother you on Adams, Madison etc but maybe 18 miles to Bondcliff or Owls Head gives you trouble on the endurance end, or the other way around.

My pick for "hardest" in NH would be Adams for the combo of 10 mile rugged routes for the most part, except Valley Way, and 5000+ feet of elevation. Maybe Washington up Huntington Ravine, if you don't like steep stuff that trails would be mentally tough on someone.

Katahdin via Knife Edge would be my NE pick. http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=5319&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=katahdin The loop of that and out to NW peaks and then down Hamlin Ridge is the only day hike I ever remember really really being beat after and it wasn't all that long but it was fairly tough.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:59 pm
Master Mountaineer

Adding our two cent. We would agree that none of them could be considered 'HARD'. We had no choice, but to make all the NH48 hikes as day trips, so for us the 'Hardest' would really have been the longest and most enduring hikes.
Owl's head was a long but enjoyable hike and we are looking forward to doing it again.
The Tripyramids were a mental challenge going up the North Slide after Irene changed everything.
Isolation via the Glen Boulder Trail, out and back. Very long day going up to 5000' of elevation only to bag a peak a little over 4000' of elevation.
Monroe, Washington and for the heck of it taking out Jefferson too as a last minute decision made for a long day.
Zealand and all the Bonds, 14 and 1/2 hours, 21+ miles, an extremely long, hot and tiring trip.
For us, those are the most memorable as far as long and enduring goes.

Completed Belknap 12 in June 2014
NH 92 Fire Tower List 92/92
Our Videos: www.youtube.com/WeRmudfun

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:07 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

I agree that Adams via airline is likely the toughest. One thought though, the Tripyramids might have been, but it was 2 4Ks, not one. That might change your thinking a bit. :wink:

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:13 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

You can take any mountain to the extreme and call it the hardest. Mohamed's site has a nice ranking by the standard/easier "peakbagging" routes.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/difficulty.html

I mean you can always go to the nth degree, if you wish:

www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?3636 ... e-to-a-NH4

Tim

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:27 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Cracky wrote:
One thought though, the Tripyramids might have been, but it was 2 4Ks, not one. That might change your thinking a bit. :wink:

Ah, I see my error. OK, so if you count them as individual peaks, I would have to choose Jefferson based on what I've already done. It was short, but there was some steep climbing/scrambling and frightening drop-offs. It didn't help that it was my first one.

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:56 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Great point. The first 4K is almost always the hardest. I suppose that's why we all went back for a second one. :D

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:57 pm
Master Mountaineer

Cracky wrote:
Great point. The first 4K is almost always the hardest. I suppose that's why we all went back for a second one. :D

Obviously I misunderstood the title for this thread, must be the heat! We do agree the 1st was the hardest. Almost wasn't a second for us, purely due to inexperience. :D
We took Valley Way both times to do Madison and the second times for Adams and did not find them that hard using that trail up.
To us Isolation was still the hardest then, hardest due to the long hike in and back out via Glen Boulder. Next time we are taking the wet way in for the pup or going during the winter.

Completed Belknap 12 in June 2014
NH 92 Fire Tower List 92/92
Our Videos: www.youtube.com/WeRmudfun

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:20 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Personally, Lincoln & Lafayette was tough at the time as my first two, as I was jumping into the 4Ks cold (pretty much). I was toast for a week after that.

I found Owl's Head tough due to the distance, but not particularly difficult terrain-wise.

More recently, the Wildcats kicked my ass with a combo of steep climbing, and hot / humid weather conditions.

I'm not particularly looking forward to Isolation. :)

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:44 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Dingo wrote : More recently, the Wildcats kicked my ass with a combo of steep climbing, and hot / humid weather conditions.

And they were steep and grueling in winter as well. Mostly b/c we decided to descend the Wildcat Ridge Trail with full packs and the trail was steep and icy. If you hike the Wildcats, do yourself a favor and use the ski slope one way.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:02 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Dingo wrote:
I'm not particularly looking forward to Isolation. :)

Look forward to it! It's a long walk and tougher terrain-wise than Owl's Head, but on the whole I don't think I found it any more difficult than the Wildcats, and while there are fewer views, the summit's excellent. Don't dread it bro, you'll have a great time!

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:43 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

4000 footers happen in bunches...
...and if you look at them that way, then everything changes.

The Bonds, for example, which you always want to combine with others. Or the Tripyramids, especially if you throw in Whiteface and/or Passaconaway. Or the southern Presidentials; come on, who climbs just one?!? Cabot and Waumbec make for a beautiful but really, really long day. Franconia Ridge?

One that's always kicked my butt is the Kinsmans and Cannon... The Cannonballs look so darn cute on the map and from the summit of either Cannon or North Kinsman. They're not.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:55 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Prema just asked me if I had one.... I said, "I DO NOW!" For some unknown reason I got really burnt out today doing North Twin (even though I thought the first few miles were relatively easy)... But that's a story for tomorrow, I'm too tired!

Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next