Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 A thought on finishing my 4Ks 
Sovereign Woodsman

A thought on finishing my 4Ks
I had originally envisioned a huge, grand finish on the Bonds on a glorious day. Now that I think about it more, I'm looking at Jackson as the final peak. It's easily accessible, an moderately mellow hike, and fairly short. I'd like it to be a place where people can get to for a party. While the Bonds would be spectacular, they aren't as practical.

For these who have finished, where did you end up on and why? Did it just happen or did you have a final peak in mind?

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:44 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Seems like a lot of people nowadays plan it out and have a gathering of people come with them.

When I did mine I did not plan it that way and was more trying to burn thru it as quickly as possible, since it took me 9 yrs to do them! Ending up on Owl's head due to putting off the 18 miles. I completed mine in 2004 and I always say it was completely anticlimatic, and I should mention isolation was the one before that and probably cabot before that. I have never looked at a list the same way again.

Having just finished the ossippee 10 was something that was not planned, since those peaks were no on my radar for this year, but they ended up being done out of being a shorter drive and snow lingering in the mtns. By the time I realized I was so close to finishing (I saw I only needed a few) we just banged them out and again it was kind of anti-climatic, despite it not being on the plan.

I saw I only have 3 52 WAV left and was going to try and get those done, but since the feeling of "finishing" doesn't seem too exciting, I think I'll leave them for a time.

Ahh the curse of the list! Both sound good Dingo whatever u choose, since they are both good peaks! Good luck!

Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:50 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Thank you! Ah, the Owl's Head conundrum. I made sure to get that out of the way early at #17. I didn't want to leave it for last. :)

Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:31 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I was plugging along when I found myself with 10 left giving not thought to a finish at that point. This is what I had left at the point when I realized I needed to pick a finishing peak.

Zealand
Galehead
Wildcat D
The Trip's
Owls Head
Iso
M. Carter
Madison
Adams

Obvious choice to me was Adams. The finish on just Adams, did Madison by itself, was less than glorious and a story for another day. After almost full year, by choice, sitting on #47.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:02 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I finished on Jackson. In January of that year, my kids decided they would like to come with me, so I changed my plan from a Carrigain finish with friends to a family finish on Jackson, the only kid-friendly one I had left. The kids went on "training hikes" to prove their mettle. My mother-in-law and her husband (coincidentally, he got me started) and their two golden retrievers came along as well.

Tim

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:13 am
Sovereign Woodsman

That's a great photo, I love it. That's what I'm talking about... :)

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:22 am
Master Mountaineer

If you're doing Cabot or OH this year, lemme know when you go... and perhaps you can be on the top with me on #48.

The idea is to do Cabot as a finish with the wife... but I REALLY want to put off OH til Winter. It'll be my last one... if I ever get around to doing it. I read yesterday that there was a blazed trail on the NW corner of OH back in 1949 - wonder if its still there.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:56 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Love the "#1" signs Tim!

What do you have left Dingo?

A friend and I had been working our way slowly through the list off and on for about 8 years before I finished. We had always planned to do them all together since we were the only two people we knew who did much hiking (strangely it seems to have been nowhere near as popular a hobby back just 10 - 15 years ago as it is now) so we went together whenever our schedules allowed. The plan was always to finish on Adams or Bond but one nice fall day we decided to go up the Great Gully trail so Bond it was. He however went through a phase where he didn't go often so I did many of them without him and got my foot well in the door of my post list career but saved Bond for last. When he really got back into it I rehiked all the others with him and finally on a glorious September day like you are envisioning we went an did the Bonds with an overnight stay at Guyot's overflow with another friend who is still chipping away at his list. Just us three and a bottle of Champagne on Bond early one beautiful morning.

Great way to finish for me. I'm not big on crowds and as I had no kids and my wife wasn't doing an overnight to guyot, being pregnant with our first kid, so that was perfect. A crowd on Bond would ruin that experience anyhow and 10 is the limit in addition to that, so if its a party you want its not the Bonds you want to end up on. I wanted the two people i'd done it with there and the mountains in sight and that was it. I know people who've finished on Cannon and Wildcat so even non hikers could ride up and celebrate with them but mine was more of a thing between my friend and I and how we kept in touch, still is actually with the NE67 and NE111 (we also had Hamlin to ourselves for the 67 finish. Sweet!! :D ).

So do what works for you. Finish with just you and a the mountains, party on or something in between. It all good, but if its a party you want and Cannon or Washington is left you could have a hell of a bash there with the tram nearby or the auto road handy, or even an easy one like Jackson and you could still have a pretty good gathering!

Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:00 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I agree with your thinking on the finish. I saved my finish for Madison (in August 2009), and ended up regretting the way I did it. Just ask Joe - he went on that hike (in fact, that's where I first met him). Instead of just taking one of the easier ways up Madison, I decided to hike up the King Ravine headwall. Some people including Joe went with me that way, and some other friends took different routes up Madison. We took a lot longer than we thought to climb the headwall, and so the people that took another route ended up waiting for us on the summit for 3 hours in some cases. It was stupid and arrogant of me to hike the route I did, and to this day I feel bad for all the friends that joined me on that hike.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:08 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I had originally planned to finish on Cannon so that my wife, mom and 2-year old daughter could join me via the tram (my dad would've hiked with me). My wife was pregnant with my son and I promised her that I would not go hiking for 3 weeks prior to the due date. So, I made it to 46 and then had to wait another couple of months to finish the last two.

It was down to Cannon and Carrigain and since it was now November, the aforementioned people would not be able to join me (also because we now had an infant to worry about) so I switched and finished on Carrigain. I put out an open invitation, but since I hike mid-week, I ended up going solo and had the entire mountain to myself. Basically the exact opposite of the usual "summit parties" that you hear about.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:47 am
Sovereign Woodsman

iagreewithjamie wrote:
If you're doing Cabot or OH this year, lemme know when you go...

Already done both. :)

While we were on OH, there was a group who were celebrating a final peak (the guy in the red shirt):

Granite Guy wrote:
What do you have left Dingo?

Dates where scheduled:

Adams
Bond
Bondcliff
Carter Dome (maybe last week in June)
Eisenhower
Jackson (the finish)
Jefferson (July 4)
Isolation
Carter, Middle (June 15)
Carter, South (June 15)
Monroe (June 22, possibly with Washington depending on conditions and group ability)
Moriah (June 23)
Washington (June 22, possibly with Monroe depending on conditions and group ability)
Tripyramid, Middle (maybe last week in June)
Tripyramid, South (maybe last week in June)
West Bond

One complicating factor is the ongoing problems / injury (?) with my feet mentioned here. It's restricting me a little bit, so I'm not hitting these as hard as I normally would. But I'll get there, I hope. :?

Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:00 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Round 1 was on Willey, on a cloudy snowy day. Round 2 was on Tecumseh, It was the only peak that I had not done with a friend to complete his 4ks. Round 3 was on Garfield, it was my dog Marlie's #48. Round 4 was on Zealand, part of a Twins-Zealand-Hale loop, and round 5 was just last week on Waumbek just because that is how it ended up. All 5 finishes were solo (well Marlie was there for the last three).

When I finished the NE67 it was on Redington and if I ever finish he NE100 it will be on one of the last 7 peaks in NW Maine. :x

As hiking lady said, it was somewhat anti-climatic. Yes I was very proud of myself but I was thinking more along the lines of "What's next?"

Jackson sounds like a great place to finish if you are bringing others to celebrate. Just don't celebrate too hard. If you get injured on the way down and have to be carried it won't count. :wink:

I always felt that celebrating at the summit was like celebrating winning the Superbowl when ahead by 7 with :20 seconds left on the clock. There is a 99% chance that you have won but there is still a 1% chance that you will not.

Good luck and have fun out there. Isn't that why we do it in the first place? :D

Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:46 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Tim, I love the pic and the group!

I finished by myself on Tecumseh--largely by chance. I'd always figured I'd get Tecumseh on the first day of a trip, when my flight into Manchester was delayed, and I'd only have a few hours of daylight. (That HAD to happen sometime, right?) Nope, it never did. Seems my flights OUT of Manchester are almost always delayed.......

So, Tecumseh it was. My brother (who finished on Cabot) pointed out to me that my first 4K was Washington, the tallest, and my 48th was the shortest. He was guessing that no one but me could have had such a goofy order.

Good luck, Dingo!

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:15 am
Sovereign Woodsman

neexpatriate wrote:
no one but me could have had such a goofy order.

48! = 1.25 E+61

Doubtful all permutations have been done ;)

Tim

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:45 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Wow ian makes a great point about finishing but not really since u still have to get down! Wouldn't that completely stink to need a carry out on the 48th!

I started on Washington back in 95 with my now husband and had never heard of the 48 until I had hiked a few and had been told about it by him. It wasn't until a few yrs into it did I decide to do the list at that point. I averaged between 8-12 peaks a year at the end hiking solo for a good chunk of the easier ones. Almost became an obsession, and my life revolved around the weather and time, so when I hit the top of that slide of OH and touched that tree it was like "this is it?" I was then focused on gettin' the heck out of there as fast as my feet would carry me! Funny now when I hike I find preplanning impossible and seem to go on a whim which as of late has worked out great and it is always a surprise to not know what the day will bring!

That's what is neat about the idea of hike ur own hike I think and reading on these forums how others go about their hiking.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next