Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Ammanoosic Ravine with a twist 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Ammanoosic Ravine with a twist
Hey guys,
We had a great hike last fri. We headed up north to do carterdome but when we got up there we noticed that washington didnt have any snow on it so our plans changed.
We started up Ammanoosic Ravine trail which toward the top got very very icy but were able to get around most of it. We popped out on the hut and were rewarded with excellent views thanks to the clear skys. We took a 10 minute detour and clamboured up Monroe and then headed up toward washington. It was about 3 aclock when we hit the summit so we knew we couldnt stay long. The views were still excellent tho everywhere especially with the mountain shadows and later on the alpine glow.
On the way down things got a little interesting and possibly a bit illegal. We decided that instead of following jewel trail down we would follow the cog railway down. It was the day after thanksgiving and we noticed before that the train wasnt running. So, we jumped on the tracks and followed it down. We all have new respect for what that train can do especially on jacobs latter, man that thing was steep and high up. We noticed tho that a lot of the beams were not exactly in the greatest shape tho, so I hope someone that works there goes up and does checks everyonce and a while. Any of you guys up there on fri or near by?

Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:17 am
Master Mountaineer

Wish I had known this sooner. Last Friday after haing a big T Day feast at the CN Hut, a lot of great Long Trail 'Double Bag' Ale. 9 of them, in fact! We spent the night there and I went to the PNVC and on Friday I visited the Pinkham Notch Visitor's Center to get my reservation for New Year's Eve at Zealand Hut! Only $28 per person, just $25 for members. At the PNVC, I met the world famous architect Ben S., who designed AMC's last hut, Mitspah in 1963, which was completed in 1965. At 84, he, with his 2 son's and their sons & daughters, shared a lifetime of accomplishments and memories with me. What knowledge I learned!

Yes, I was in the area! Thank you for your post!!
:D

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:47 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

ya, like i said tho we were planning on doing carterdome but switched gears once we saw the weather and conditions. That architect seems pretty sweet tho, i also wish i knew about the price of those reservations, o well. Peace

Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:13 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

O, did u guys end up doing that hike up waternomee to the crash site, sorry i didnt get back to u on that.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:13 pm
Master Mountaineer

sending you mail.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:07 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

From the summit of Waumbek Saturday I noticed the train was working. I assume it is in operation on weekends only given the current season and snow conditions.

In winter it DOES operate as a snow train

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:20 pm
Master Mountaineer

If it really snows this year!

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:35 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Sherpa John wrote:
In winter it DOES operate as a snow train

Yeah, was it ROT or VFTT I read that they are going to go higher this year than the previous for the tours, and are eliminating the ski excursions?

B.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:21 pm
Master Mountaineer

No snow this year means a top official discussion if the Cog is to remain open during the winter. 1 ride uses 1 ton of coal!

Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]