Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 May conditions on the 4Ks 
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

May conditions on the 4Ks
How are the snow and mud conditions on the 4k's right now? Beginning to consider pulling the old poles out for a hike or three now that the suburban tasks are getting in control.
Thanks!

"I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks." D. Boone

Mon May 06, 2013 3:34 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I can respond to the hikes we did this weekend - very firmly in "Spring" mode!

Wildcats - we barebooted up the ski trails. Maybe 60% clear and 40% snow. Used snowshoes on the ridge where - except for the very tops of B and C - there was consistent and deep snow. One posthole (thankfully not mine) measured about 3 ft and I'm not sure it went clear to the ground.

Waumbek - a lot less snow. Nothing in sight at all until we hit the evergreens. Then some, then more, then lots of ice. The stretch between Starr King and Waumbek was alternating bare ground all around to 1-3 ft snowpiles. The monorail is very malformed and beat up. I think snowshoes would be tough. We wore spikes. Only postholed once but did a lot of slipping and sliding around.

So if you're looking for snow-free hikes, best stay further south for a while longer!

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Mon May 06, 2013 3:58 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Thanks KellyK. I'm a DH skier so I know that the snow has been deep and will last long.

I'm a little hesitant to get on the trails when they are still muddy - I don't want to be the source of erosion.

b

"I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks." D. Boone

Mon May 06, 2013 4:11 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

You know, I was pretty surprised. I thought that the trail would be a lot more muddy. It worked out pretty well that the ground must have still be relatively hard in the morning so we hiked up on the bare spots and then the snow had softened enough for the way down that we didn't risk too much slipping and took the snow-covered sections. But even where the snow had melted completely on the way down the mud wasn't too bad. Besides, they had brought an excavator up to the top for the building demolition so I figured that my footprints couldn't be any worse than that ;)

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Mon May 06, 2013 4:19 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I went to Ethan Pond today -- under 3,000 feet. The last mile from was a LOT of snow, repeated postholes 2-3 feet. Very discouraging. Sorry for the bad report!

Mon May 06, 2013 6:31 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Grindboy wrote:
I went to Ethan Pond today -- under 3,000 feet. The last mile from was a LOT of snow, repeated postholes 2-3 feet. Very discouraging. Sorry for the bad report!

No apologies necessary. That won't lock me out, it just sends me in another direction. Thanks!!

Mon May 06, 2013 7:03 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

This answers my post I was getting ready to do. I am thinking of hitting the Kanc area or the Notch next week and camping either at lafayette or on the Kanc and was wondering if I should pack the shoes. Hmmm a week off and where to go is yet to be determined. I will be solo so I want to plan well ahead

Mon May 06, 2013 7:12 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I did the boulder loop trail on the Kanc last Sunday. If you're looking for a 3 mile 1000 feet of climbing hike that snow free and extremely dry that's a good one. Very nice bang for the buck too.

Report is here if interested

http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=6153

The Moats LOOKED to be snow free and are an awesome hike too, but may not actually be in the treeline, especially in the saddle between Middle and North.

Mon May 06, 2013 7:28 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I did the boulder loop trail on the Kanc last Sunday. If you're looking for a 3 mile 1000 feet of climbing hike that snow free and extremely dry that's a good one. Very nice bang for the buck too.

Report is here if interested

http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=6153

The Moats LOOKED to be snow free and are an awesome hike too, but may not actually be in the treeline, especially in the saddle between Middle and North.

Mon May 06, 2013 7:29 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

My original plan was stay on the Kanc, and do East Osceola on Monday, then boulder and maybe Hedgehog on Tuesday. Then decide about if I will stay till Wednesday or not. Didn't think about Moats
I also was thinking of Lafayette and doing something from there.

Sorry for hijacking this post should start anther one, but thanks for the info

Mon May 06, 2013 7:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]