Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Jackson / Pierce / Eisenhower loop 
Sovereign Woodsman

Jackson / Pierce / Eisenhower loop
Has anyone done this? I'm kicking this idea around to get Jackson and Ike done (I already have Pierce, but I have no problem going back!).

I'd likely only have one car to do this with, so it looks like there are two options (starting from the Mt. Clinton Road parking area):

1. Webster-Jackson Trail to Jackson, then Webster Cliff Trail to Pierce, then Crawford Path to Eisenhower, then Edmands Path down to Mt. Clinton Road, where it would be a road walk out.

2. Webster-Jackson Trail to Jackson, then Webster Cliff Trail to Pierce, then Crawford Path to Eisenhower, then double back to Pierce and take Crawford Path back down, eliminating the Mt. Clinton Road walk.

According to an old Meetup post I found, it looks to be about 10 miles, not sure on the elevation gain.

EDIT: I just spotted Hoss' post from last fall: viewtopic.php?t=5535

Fri May 03, 2013 7:07 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I've done it as a loop (#1 below) but in the reverse direction. I think twice. The last time we did it, we parked at the Edmands Path trailhead and managed to hitch a ride for most of the way down Mt. Clinton road on the way back. I think the first time we did it Pete got a ride as well and then drove the car back to meet me and my mom who were walking the road until he passed us.

Now that I think about it though, if I were to do it again, I would do it Edmands Path to Ike, then to Pierce, then to Jackson and double back to the hut and take the Mitzpah Cutoff down to Crawford Path. I loathe the descent from Jackson (I don't know if I've ever climbed it actually, but it seems pretty miserable). Edmands Path, however, is a really pleasant climb.

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Fri May 03, 2013 7:43 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I did this minus Webster last fall. Beautiful hike. I stashed my bike at Edmund's path trailhead and drove to the trailhead at the top of the notch across the street from the train station where the "elephants head" is. I forget the trail name at work. Did the hike, came out edmunds path and rise my bike the 2 miles to my car. Also free parking where I parked for what its worth.

Edit.

If I remember correctly webster_Jackson starts at the bottom of Crawford notch. You get bonus points for flying down the notch on your bike. Its quite the ride. And I'm glad that Tim (bikehikeskifish) has shown me the virtues of doing a bike stash. It let's me a soloist primarily do some more fun stuff without miles of road walk.

Fri May 03, 2013 9:08 am
Sovereign Woodsman

thegibba wrote:
If I remember correctly webster_Jackson starts at the bottom of Crawford notch. You get bonus points for flying down the notch on your bike. Its quite the ride. And I'm glad that Tim (bikehikeskifish) has shown me the virtues of doing a bike stash. It let's me a soloist primarily do some more fun stuff without miles of road walk.

Nope, Webster-Jackson starts just down the road from Highland Center, it's a mild uphill to Mt Clinton Road (it's the TH to get to Elephant Head). Webster Cliff Trail is at the bottom of the notch and would net you the craziest bike ride of your life.

I've thought about this trio a few times and concluded I'd probably do up Webster-Jackson to either Jackson or Webster first, go all the way to Ike, and double-back down Crawford Path. Walking down Mt. Clinton Road wouldn't be bad, I just loathe road walks.

I was actually contemplating a trip for this year heading up Webster Cliff from the bottom of the notch and out Edmand's Path (using a car spot). Haven't run the numbers on that one yet to see how crazy a day it is...

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Fri May 03, 2013 11:20 am
Sovereign Woodsman

madmattd wrote:
I was actually contemplating a trip for this year heading up Webster Cliff from the bottom of the notch and out Edmand's Path (using a car spot). Haven't run the numbers on that one yet to see how crazy a day it is...

Matt, the numbers aren't that bad for waht you are used to.

Dingo, I guess you missed my TR from the other week. http://www.forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=6121

I also did Webster to Eisenhower in 2010, walking Mt Clinton Rd back to the Highland Ctr but can't seem to find the TR. :( About 14 miles.

Fri May 03, 2013 11:45 am
Sovereign Woodsman

IQuest wrote:
Dingo, I guess you missed my TR from the other week. http://www.forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=6121

Ah yes, I did. Thank you! And thanks to everyone for the feedback. It looks like it would be better to go up to Pierce than down, due to the steep and rough conditions on the WC Trail between the hut and Pierce?

Fri May 03, 2013 12:38 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

All I know is my route wasnt the most efficient way. :lol: I would go jackson to pierce direction. But knowing youve been on Madison recenty, its not ridiculous to go the other way down to the hut.

Loved those mountains. Look forward to going back.

Sat May 04, 2013 6:15 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Dingo wrote:
IQuest wrote:
It looks like it would be better to go up to Pierce than down, due to the steep and rough conditions on the WC Trail between the hut and Pierce?

Hiked Pierce and Ike last weekend. On the way down we hiked only as far as Mizpah and then the link back to CP. To the hut from pierce wasn't that bad, it is steep though and in the sloppy snow conditions we were glad to be going down. With the warm weather we've had this week I would bet much of that snow is gone - or it could be just more sloppy.

Might not be any help to you at all, but it's not a long stretch so any misery would be short lived.

Sat May 04, 2013 7:19 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Kathy wrote:
Hiked Pierce and Ike last weekend. On the way down we hiked only as far as Mizpah and then the link back to CP. To the hut from pierce wasn't that bad, it is steep though and in the sloppy snow conditions we were glad to be going down. With the warm weather we've had this week I would bet much of that snow is gone - or it could be just more sloppy.

Might not be any help to you at all, but it's not a long stretch so any misery would be short lived.

Thanks for the update, Kathy. It looks like I won't be doing this for a few weeks, so hopefully any sloppiness will have improved by then.

Sat May 04, 2013 7:23 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Dingo wrote:
Thanks for the update, Kathy. It looks like I won't be doing this for a few weeks, so hopefully any sloppiness will have improved by then.

You are welcome. I did a solo trip up Pierce 2 years ago. Hiked up late on a Saturday and stayed at Nauman. Hoofed it up to Pierce's summit for sunset. Had the place to myself and was treated to amazing colors, views and communing with Mother Earth. Hiked up again to catch the sunrise and had an even more awesome experience that included incredible lenticulars. I highly recommend this. :D

Sat May 04, 2013 7:28 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Kathy wrote:
Hiked up again to catch the sunrise and had an even more awesome experience that included incredible lenticulars. I highly recommend this. :D

Sunrise hikes rock. Everyone should be required to do at least one.

Sat May 04, 2013 9:06 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Kathy wrote:
Hiked up late on a Saturday and stayed at Nauman. Hoofed it up to Pierce's summit for sunset. Had the place to myself and was treated to amazing colors, views and communing with Mother Earth. Hiked up again to catch the sunrise and had an even more awesome experience that included incredible lenticulars.

No report and photos? :( Tease. :wink:

Mon May 06, 2013 6:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]