Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Breaking up the Bonds 
Sovereign Woodsman

Another good reason to do them all together (as GG alluded to) is that the stretch of trail between Bond and Bondcliff is one of the best parts of that trip... a spectacular stretch of trail with really cool ridge views in both directions. You've done Owl's Head so you know how tough it can be to repeat that 3 mile section of Lincoln Wood Trail at the end of a long hike... in-and-out to Bondcliff would be similar, except add another 2 miles of that flat stretch for the Bondcliff Trail (formerly Wilderness Trail).

I'd like to do the Bonds again this summer, so I could possibly help with a carspot as well if the timing works out.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:05 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

krpayer wrote:
so I could possibly help with a carspot as well if the timing works out.

I'm up in Lincoln now for probably the last weekend of skiing. I plan on stopping in at The Shuttle Connection to find out their hours of operation and the cost of a pick-up at LinWoods and drop-off at Zealand. I'll pass on what ever I find out.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:29 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I'd love to do the Bonds again this year. I've only done them once, as a north-south traverse, in July a few years ago. I was surprised at how relatively easy it was, after thinking a 19.5.mile hike would be really tough.

Maybe we can get a group hike going for this...

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:40 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I'm always game for a Bonds trip. I'll stay tuned if a group from here gets together, I'm definitely interested if the timing works. As has been said, the footing is really good for most all of the trek, and overall the grades gentle, unlike a lot of other trails in the Whites. You'll do fine with maybe some work-up training.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:47 am

Sounds like a great idea for a group hike. Id like to go also if it happens and the schedule works.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:37 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
The out and back route I've done twice from Zealand is probably my favorite hike in the Whites other than the Northern Presis. I always think it's the Franconia Ridge FW/OBP loop and then I remember this one. I've gone in from Zealand, up the Twinway out to the Bonds and then back to Zeacliff and down the Zeacliff trail into spectacular Zealand Notch and out.

I've made the trek out to Zealand, and that has easily been one of my favorite hikes in the Whites so far. I really enjoyed the varying terrain, the hut and falls, and the spectacular outlook from Zeacliff.

Grindboy wrote:
So what everybody else says. Work up to it, increase your miles and elevation gain, do it in a time of year where the days are long, start early, and if you need to do the first and/or last half hour or so by headlamp, so be it (not a major expense like backpacking gear would be, I got mine for like $15 at Wal-Mart).

I have no worries about hiking parts of it via headlamp, I'm prepared for that. I'll likely be doing that anyway, as I plan on starting very early for this!

JustJoe wrote:
Maybe we can help each other with a car spot if the timing works out.

Sounds like a possible plan, I will keep you in the loop!

Thank you, everyone!

Last edited by Dingo on Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:02 pm

Dingo wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
The out and back route I've done twice from Zealand is probably my favorite hike in the Whites other than the Northern Presis. I always think it's the Franconia Ridge FW/OBP loop and then I remember this one. I've gone in from Zealand, up the Twinway out to the Bonds and then back to Zeacliff and down the Zeacliff trail into spectacular Zealand Notch and out.

I've made the trek out to Zealand, and that has easily been one of my favorite hikes in the Whites so far. I really enjoyed the varying terrain, the hut and falls, and the spectacular outlook from Zeacliff.

Granite Guy wrote:
So what everybody else says. Work up to it, increase your miles and elevation gain, do it in a time of year where the days are long, start early, and if you need to do the first and/or last half hour or so by headlamp, so be it (not a major expense like backpacking gear would be, I got mine for like $15 at Wal-Mart).

I have no worries about hiking parts of it via headlamp, I'm prepared for that. I'll likely be doing that anyway, as I plan on starting very early for this!

Granite Guy wrote:
Maybe we can help each other with a car spot if the timing works out.

Sounds like a possible plan, I will keep you in the loop!

Thank you, everyone!

I do tend to ramble but you're giving me way too much credit here! :wink:

Did you take Zeacliff down into the notch itself? One of my favorite places in the Whites. Very steep rough trail and a bit tricky with an overnight pack but worth the effort if you get back that way and didn't do it last time.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:20 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
I do tend to ramble but you're giving me way too much credit here! :wink:

D'oh! That will teach me to not preview first... Fixed.

Granite Guy wrote:
Did you take Zeacliff down into the notch itself? One of my favorite places in the Whites. Very steep rough trail and a bit tricky with an overnight pack but worth the effort if you get back that way and didn't do it last time.

No, I haven't done it, but have researched it and would love to.

So it sounds like there is some interest in turning this into a group trip. I'll definitely keep everyone in the loop as far as my prep goes. That would be cool if we could some folks together for this.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:43 pm

How many of us do you think we could squeeze onto the cliff with a hike-nh banner?

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:08 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
How many of us do you think we could squeeze onto the cliff with a hike-nh banner?

No more than 10.

Tim

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:06 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

bikehikeskifish wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:

No more than 10.

Tim

if one group came N>S and another S>N we could do 20 :wink:

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:03 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

bikehikeskifish wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:

No more than 10.

Tim

From near the West Bond Spur to the Lincoln Woods Trail, well yes, 10 technically... But if it was Zeacliff, no "official" limit :D I think we have a solution!

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:07 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Always a gray area when you have more than 10 - done the traverse with 15 in three smaller groups - yeah, we re-grouped at junctions to make sure everyone was OK. Strongest group broke trail, met lots of others we know, stopped to chat, etc. I think the rangers might feel justified in ticketing 20 people holding a banner on Bondcliff (in this case, I think "cliff" is unambiguous)... It would make a neat banner for the site, however.

Tim

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:26 am

bikehikeskifish wrote:
Always a gray area when you have more than 10 - done the traverse with 15 in three smaller groups - yeah, we re-grouped at junctions to make sure everyone was OK. Strongest group broke trail, met lots of others we know, stopped to chat, etc. I think the rangers might feel justified in ticketing 20 people holding a banner on Bondcliff (in this case, I think "cliff" is unambiguous)... It would make a neat banner for the site, however.

Tim

We all just happened to show up officer, assuming there's even one around with all the federal budget cuts. And if so we just organize a sit in and refuse to give names! :D

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:54 am
Sovereign Woodsman

When I did the traverse this winter with madmattd and HOSSinNH, I was a little skeptical about the mileage. I had been to the Bonds several times before but never on snow the entire way. I knew the elevation wasn't much worse than an average 4k hike and I mentally broke the trip into 3 8+- mile smaller hikes. From 302 to Zeacliff, Zeacliff to Bondcliff, and Bondcliff to LW. To be honest, once we reached Guyot I wasn't concerned one bit about the mileage. The views and warm temps more than made up for it. Just plan for an early start, like sunrise or just before, and a late start. I have also heard that a fresh pair of socks can make all of the difference.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next