Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 "Accepted" 4000 footers list question 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

"Accepted" 4000 footers list question
I was just looking through the maps in our WMG. I see quite a few 4000+ foot peaks (named and un-named) that are not recognized in the "48" list.

Does anyone know what qualities lead the "48" to be picked and not ALL of the actual 4000+ footers? I searched a bit here on this site and all I seem to find is that they were picked based on some format at the time... I'm curious as to what that was. If anyone has a link, I'd be interested. I'm sure its not a short answer and don't expect anyone to take the time to type it all out.

Thanks.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:25 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Here you go Craig.

http://www.amc4000footer.org/faq.htm

Basically, the peak has to rise at least 200' from the col between two peaks. If a stand alone, not an issue (obvious ones like hale, carrigain, isolation, etc.).

Check out the site and poke around.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:47 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

You know... I did read those rules including the 200' rise rule and forgot about it. Duh. I just looked at the map again and the 200' rule explains each of the ones I was looking at on map #2.

Thank you.

(Shaking head at myself for not figuring that out...)

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:56 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

If 48 4000 footers isn't enough for you check out Trailwrights list. Only 100 foot col needed and you only count one per trip. I think they have 72 instead.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:25 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Kathy wrote:
Basically, the peak has to rise at least 200' from the col between two peaks. If a stand alone, not an issue (obvious ones like hale, carrigain, isolation, etc.).

More specifically, the col with the higher peak must be 200' (AMC uses optimistic prominence, or 160' pessimistic prominence,i.e., 4 topo rings.) There is always great debate about the ones that are close, like Lincoln, South Hancock and Bondcliff. Clay clearly has 200' of col with Jefferson, but not with Washington, it's highest neighbor.

Tim

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:43 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Haha. Granite Guy - 48 is going to keep me plenty busy for now. Though I am thinking its one of those things where if youre in the area ya may as well hike the nearby peaks too... I know - biting off more than I can chew. But it sure sounds fun. All I need is time and Im hoping theres plenty of that left (Im only 38). I dont want to be like my dad who reached 45 years of age and started acting like his time was up and no new adventures could be taken. :wink:

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:18 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I don't hear of many people doing it, but a trip to Clay alone is well worth it if you want to get above treeline and have great views, but don't want to do the extra elevation & mileage gain to get to Jefferson & Washington. I've been there once, on a day that also included those other two peaks, but I've been thinking I may go back on some warm summer or fall day to hike that one peak alone.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:27 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Clay is well worth the short detour if you are traveling between Jefferson and Washington. It's really not much out of the way.

Tim

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:47 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

The Trailwrights List is cool, but a number of them require bushwhacks.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]