Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Mt Washington hike on Jan 5 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Mt Washington hike on Jan 5
Amy and I , along with another friend, are planning to hike Mt Washington on Jan 5th. We are experienced winter hikers having hiked Jefferson, Eisenhower, Lafayette, and quite a few other 4000s in winter. We have never hiked Washington in winter and are looking for advice on the best route. I originally suggested Annonoosuc/Crawford, but Tuckerman/Lion Head has been recommended as the better route considering the usual stronger westerly winds. Anyone have first hand experience they can share?

Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:08 am
Sovereign Woodsman

The wind may be worse on the west side, but it is also far less technical (less likely to need an ice axe / crampons), less dangerous, and 500 feet less elevation. Many people do Ammo - LOC - Monroe - Crawford - Jewell.

If you go on a day like today, then the wind is not really a factor (<10MPH right now). I have gone this way each of the times I've been up there in winter.

Tim

Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:57 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I have hiked it twice in winter conditions and have come up from the Cog side both times. From that way once above treeline the hike is relatively tame. I have never actually hiked up from Pinkham but those trails intimidate the heck out of me.

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:01 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I've done both and they are similar in difficulty with the exception of the lower "winter route" section of Lions Head. That's a step up in difficulty. When we did it 2 or 3 years ago it was after a big snowstorm but that section was still icy and slick under the snow that did stick and crampons/ice axe were used by us as well as all of the 20 person or so guided group we got stuck behind there. :evil: I think it's a fairly common bottleneck spot because of the difficulty of that one section. Last winter there was a rope there I believe, which might make the ice axe not required but that changes from year to year I think.

Other than that the trails are similar. Easy starts, steep middle and then a climb up the summit cone. Tucks trail might be a bit more direct and steeper climbing the cone too. Crawford does traverse a large sloped snowfield just past the hut but it's not a big deal and I found that route to be fairly pedestrian other than that as far as difficulty goes.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:02 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Thanks everyone for your advice. I suspect the weather will have the biggest influence on our ultimate decision.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]