Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Single winter Season? 
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Single winter Season?
Hi Everyone,

First, I'm new to this forum and thank you all. This looks like a worthy place.

I'm planning to hit all 48 peaks this winter as I (unfortunately) have the time available to me. I'd like to do it a little bit differently and I'm looking for insight from those of you who know more than me.

1. Is there a record of anyone hitting them all i one winter as seperate peaks, meaning 48 individual day trips. You know, not counting Lincoln and Lafayette from one trip, etc. ?

2. Is there a good trail route for hitting them all in one loop. A friend of mine is trying to convince me to hit the mountains for a couple weeks of winter hiking/camping.

Thanks, everyone!

Cheers,

Cracky

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:50 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Welcome to the forum. I don't know of any record that counts one peak per trip other than the Trailwrights 72. Here is a link for single-season winter finishes: http://www.48in1winter.com/

Hiking them all in one trip has been done (though not in winter), the trip report from VFTT and another post on that type of hike are linked below. That is certainly an ambitious trip any time of year.

http://sectionhiker.com/hiking-a-white- ... ettissima/

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.p ... nsupported

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:06 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I don't have a link offhand, but I think a winter backpack of all 48 has been done. I could be misremembering though. Certainly very difficult regardless. With them so far spread out, hitting them all with one hike (no cars between distant trailheads ala Kilkennys->Caters) means a lot of road walking. Krpayer's links will get you common routes. There was an attempt at one this summer too that ended after a couple days due to foot problems: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?45625-NH-48-Dirrettisima

As for doing each one as a separate trip in winter, that's not something that is "officially" tracked, but there is one or two people that have done (3) single-season W48 in one winter, and several that have done 2 loops in one winter, so I'd think it could be done if one had the time. http://www.48in1winter.com/

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:22 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Fascinating. Thanks so much you guys, for the info. I'm planning to hit all 48 this winter as a fundraiser for the Shriners Burn Hospitals for Kids. A take on the traditional 5K fundraisers.

I was just thinking it would be fun to do it a little differently than it has been done before. A winter direttissima sounds really great, but also dangerous. I have the time, but man, who knows what could happen up there in the winter.

It's really nice though, to see so many people enjoying the Whites in the winter instead of closeting their packs until next summer.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:57 am
Sovereign Woodsman

If you can handle one more link:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.p ... one-winter

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:16 am
Sovereign Woodsman

As with all games, there are rules. The rules for the 48-in-one-winter follow the same rules as the AMC does for winter peakbagging. You are allowed to make the rules for yourself stricter of course (ie one peak per trip.) There is no patch because the creators of the "list" (if you will) did not want to encourage people to do it for the patch.

The links previously cited should give you plenty of ideas. In particular, if you look at the list of finishers, you can find some itineraries for how to combine hikes. Assuming you are not Ryan (Farmer), then it will likely take you anywhere from 12 to 24 hiking days. 24 is pretty doable for the average person, if you are willing to do two separate hikes in one day (i.e., Waumbek + Tecumseh, Hale + Cannon, Tom, Field Willey + Jackson, Hancocks + Osceolas, etc.) The more of these you can do, the fewer days you will need.

I'll also point out that there may not be a documented 48 Direttissima finisher, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if one emerged at some point. Very recently, the first known redliner got bumped to the second position when someone who'd done it years early got an internet connection...

If I were attempting to do them as 48 individual hikes, I would make sure I got the first full round done using multiple peaks per hike, and then go back and re-climb some to make it 48 peaks. Zealand and the Bonds in winter will be four very long day trips to count them individually--minimum distance for any one of these four in winter is 18 miles round trip, while the entire traverse is 23.

Tim

Last edited by bikehikeskifish on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:40 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Interesting, Tim. Thank you. Might you have any idea where I might find some suggested trails/peak combinations for a 12-15(ish) trip completion? I'd be up for that! Nothing warms you more than a few epic hikes in the dark months of the year.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:32 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Go through the list of finishers and you can see what days they did what peaks. From that, you can probably make a good guess as to their route. If you do a bunch of big traverses, you can get a lot of peaks quickly... Some are just two hikes in one day with a drive in between.

Presi Traverse = 8
Wildcat-Carter-Moriah = 6
Twins-Galehead-Garfield-Franonia Ridge = 8
Hale-Zealand-Bonds = 5

That's 27 in 4 days... over half way. I should probably warn you that some of the connecting routes are not well-traveled in winter, like Garfield Ridge between Garfield and Lafayette. Lend-a-Hand gets some use, but not a ton. Probably not a lot of people go from North Carter to Moriah in winter either...it will be tracked out to the Imp pretty regularly, but not beyond.

Mike Foster and Tim Muskat are two people to start with.

Here are some other threads you may find interesting.

viewtopic.php?t=4781
viewtopic.php?t=4804

Tim

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:14 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Thank you very much. This gives me plenty to go on. Your time is much appreciated.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:05 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

You are welcome. Good luck! It was a fun challenge.

Tim

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]