Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Mt Abraham (ME) 
Sovereign Woodsman

Mt Abraham (ME)
It's been posed for this weekend to possibly BW from the Spaulding/Abraham col down to the CVR around Caribou Pond.

Anyone have any info on this route to report? I found a basic info on good 'ol Franklin Sites, but little else. The mileage will end up being maybe a bit less than the out-and-back along the AT, but save ~1500 of elevation gain. Granted the CVR walk from the Pond is boring.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:47 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Check VFTT. I believe some one has posted there about this recntly. When I did SSA a few years ago (2009) I did an out and back from the AT crossing (I was able to park and car camp several yards from the crossing as the road was still passable then). It took me about 8.5 hours to do the 17+ miles. The return up over Spaulding was not that difficult IMO but it was not very exciting. I was a little worried that the board would not be across the river on my return but it was.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:22 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Don't know anything about it that but looking at it on GE there is just a ton of lodging cuts/roads on that west side. I'd be temped to drive to the pond and just head up to the col from there on one of those roads.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:24 am
Sovereign Woodsman

We're planning it's possibility as the descent route. More poking around has revealed hints of a herd path from the Abraham Side Trail/AT junction heading west, and then taking rights whenever it forks. Picks up logging cuts along the way. No different mileage-wise, but a lot less climbing, plus you don't get the steep down that you get coming off Sugarloaf to the CVR. Guess a lot will depend on how we feel that day after Abraham ;)

FYI Joe, nothing with 4 wheels is getting to the pond right now, at least not from the CVR (up to the metal bridge 1/2 mile before AT is not bad even for 2WD though). Having just done the walk from the pond out 2 weeks ago, I'm not sure even a Jeep would have a chance. There's some major erosion and missing bridges over steep crevasses. Irene looks to have had a field day in there, beyond any bad spots that were there before. You might be able to come up the back side of Redington and over the col down to the pond though, we saw fairly fresh Jeep tracks from the Redington/Crocker col down about halfway to the pond, it wouldn't be crazy to get the rest of the way in a Jeep.

Ian, I searched Views but didn't find anything more recent than around 2010, which was the last reference of the herd path I saw. I might have missed something though. More searching in order I guess.

EDIT: I take that back Ian, I did see the trip from, ironically, the day we were doing Crocker+Redington. Hard to tell if he followed the herd path all the way to the road or not, doesn't sound like it.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:19 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Matt,

I must warn you that on occasion, a strange pink chicken has been seen flying around Abraham...........legend says it appears harmless but is responsible for picking the eyeballs out of countless hikers.

so beware!

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:25 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Petch wrote:
Matt,

I must warn you that on occasion, a strange pink chicken has been seen flying around Abraham...........legend says it appears harmless but is responsible for picking the eyeballs out of countless hikers.

so beware!

Hasn't that chicken also been seen in Mahoosuc Notch? Got to watch out for those things!

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]