[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - Most Exciting 4K?

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Most Exciting 4K? 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Most Exciting 4K?

Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:48 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:11 pm

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:14 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Adams is near the top of that list imo. Really the 3 Northern Presis for that matter (Jeff and Madison too), not for just the summits, but the impressive terrain surrounding them, both on-and-off trail.

Carrigain is awesome, though more for Signal Ridge than the summit (which does have great views don't get me wrong!).

Pick a peak on Franconia Ridge (including Liberty and Flume here), all are great (even the "non-4Ks").

W. Bond is great.

South Twin is great.

Really, a lot of them are terrific in many different ways, I'd be hard-pressed to pick a best one.

As Pucknuts says, there are also plenty of good 4ks that just don't make that col requirement ;)

My Trip Reports:

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:29 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

My favorite (I'm not sure this is the same as exciting) official 4K peak probably would come from this list:

Isolation
Jefferson
Pierce
Garfield
Bondcliff
Lincoln

The close-but-no-cigar peaks of Guyot, Clay and Hight are certainly worth an honorable mention. I like the views across the Great Gulf, or Oakes Gulf, or Pinkham Notch to the higher peaks on the far side.

I have not hiked in the Great Gulf yet, so I will reserve judgement until then, but for now, Huntington Ravine Trail up to Washington is perhaps the most exciting and spectacular hike, i.e., for the entire length of the hike, it is outstanding.

Tim

Last edited by bikehikeskifish on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:29 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I'm of the same mind set as the previous post. How do you qualify spectacular?

Kinsmans were spectacular b/c we finally made in on the 3rd try and had the shelter to ourselves for the overnight.

Tripyramids spectacular b/c again, we finally made it on the 3rd try.

Moosilauke spectacular b/c we had 100 mile views on a beautiful foliage day.

Jefferson spectacular b/c we worked so hard to get it.

Pierce spectacular just b/c it's Pierce

Hancocks most recently spectacular b/c of the expression on my friend's face when the gray jay landed on her hand

Washington spectacular b/c that's where TOC and I started our quest (though we didn't know it at the time)

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:30 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

West Bond.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:03 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

I always like Moosilauke. Anyone know where I can go tomorrow -4000 footer- that has no snow?

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:55 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Ummm... Moosilauke?

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:00 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I've only been to 15 to date, NOT including so many favorites like Moosilauke, the Bonds, Carrigain, Twins. But probably my favorite so far was Eisenhower, of course because I managed to hit it on the most spectacular day of the year. Also loved Canon. There was a tour group on the observation tower when I was there, and I enjoyed the knowledge that the view I was enjoying was far better than the view that they saw, and of course it was another beautiful day.

Looking forward to many more, hopefully soon!

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:00 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Depends what you mean by exciting but for me the trail you take and the season you do it in can make all the difference.

I agree with Tim that Washington via Huntington Ravine is as exciting as trails on NH 4K's get. Knife Edge on Katahdin is just as exciting, but in Maine of course. Still a 4K though.

If you mean most exciting summit it's hard to beat either West Bond and it's tiny point like summit area and/or Bondcliff with that famous photo op and of course the cliffs in general.

In winter any of the northern Presis or Washington can be very exciting via any route.

All season and just exciting mountain overall I'd have to second Adams. The Subway, Ravines, Ridges and views from the high above treeline summit make it the overall winner in my book.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:27 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Non 4K's, but exciting:

Mahoosuc Notch

South Baldface Cliffs

Exciting 4K's:

Bondcliff
Whiteface up Blueberry Ledges
Wildcat up WRT

12 / 52 WAV
153 / 875 NCT