Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Starting our 4k's on 3/31 Any suggestions? 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Lost Dad wrote:
"I've been shopping around for some micro spikes just to keep in my pack. Tis the season and all. Has anyone had any luck with Kahtoola brand? I seem to see them the most. "

Kahtoola is the brand for light traction. We use them very successfully. With a little luck, you should be able to find them for about $50 per pair (though they list for a bit more; $59.95 ?)

I've tried both the Hillsounds and the kahtoolas. I found the Hillsounds to be much better for me. The spikes are a bit longer and the heal plate has four spike vs microspikes two.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:13 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Dang! Those are some mean looking spikes! The trail series looks good for sure. They do seem to be a bit more aggressive than I would expect for trail use.

Thanks for pointing them out! I like options :wink:

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:07 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Zigster wrote:
Dang! Those are some mean looking spikes! The trail series looks good for sure. They do seem to be a bit more aggressive than I would expect for trail use.

Thanks for pointing them out! I like options :wink:

Note that there are 2 versions of the Hillsound Trail Crampons. The ones with "pro" in the name are closer to a crampon than light traction. The normal (non-"pro") version is the one referenced previously, and are a tad bit more aggressive than the Kahtoolas. These are the light-traction version: http://hillsound.com/2products/trail_crampon.php. For light traction, get either those or the Kahtoolas. I have the Kahtoolas and love them. Others use the Hillsounds instead and like them. Either will work nicely and each has its own pros and cons.

These you only need for serious ice or there are times where they are good above treeline: http://hillsound.com/2products/trail_crampon_pro.php. I have a set of these and they are pretty aggressive, way more than needed normally. You shouldn't need them for what you are looking at, they are overkill for 99% of below-treeline uses. And with the warm weather earlier this month, there's pretty much nothing left above treeline where the sun could hit things.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:26 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

My Third 4,000 footer:0)
:lol: I'm looking forward to my next hike-Mt Jackson..on the 28th of April! last hike was a winter wonderland up Mt Tom...even had a grey jay eat right out of my hand...felt like Snow White:0) I'm interested in hearing about any of your experiences on Mt. Jackson!! I really want to get my very own micro spikes now...I learned my lesson back in February-REAL first winter hike! TTYL:O) TTFN;o)

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2