Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 NEFF(NE50P) roads? 
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

NEFF(NE50P) roads?
A recent thread on some other forum(I forget the name) talked about the validity of peakbagging using auto roads. AMC specifically prohibits using the roads on Washington, Mansfield, and Equinoix, but no FF reference source I can find mentions Ascutney, Kearsarge , or Belknap(Equinox?, others?). I know that some people have used those roads and are considered completers and I'd agree that if you're doing the true summit of Big Spencer or Saddleback or a full 3k Baker/Lily Bay traverse then these road sections are insignificant. But Mansfield from the parking area is more work probably than Belknap and Kearsarge by their roads combined and I was wondering if there was an official opinion, or maybe just some regular opinions.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:13 am
Sovereign Woodsman

IMO if you walk the road to the top you still walked to the top. I would rather use a trail but occasionally I will follow a road after it is closed to cars, such as Ascutney. I don't know all of the rules for all of the lists, but unless it specifically says you can't then I would say count 'em. :D

Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:30 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

I would definitely agree that walking up roads counts, but I was referring to driving up the roads that go partway up a mountain(and rereading my post I see that I wasn't clear at all and I apologize.)

Mostly I'm trying to get a consensus on where to draw the line. You have to walk a few hundred feet from the Auto road on Washington to the summit, and you have to walk a little farther on Kearsarge, and Camel's Hump road can get you much closer than some other approaches. I don't think every thing should have to be bagged sea to summit, but am wondering where the highway should end and the mountain should begin.

(now I'm curious if anyone has climbed all the 48 sea to summit.)

Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:01 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

If it isn't specifically prohibited in the AMC, Trailwrights, or whoever elses "rules and regulations" I'd say to each their own. Personally I feel like if there's a trailhead somewhere and you climb the whole trail from the trailhead to the summit it "counts" so to speak towards your list. I've done Caps Ridge a number of times up Jefferson and I still consider it climbing the peak, even though the trailhead is at the highest spot on a public road in NH and the same height as the summit of Chocorua.

Most of my hikes are from near sea level to the summit as I live pretty close to the coast but the first 80 miles or so are by car. Route 16 seems like a dangerous and boring walk :D

Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:05 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Check the info herein:

http://www.amc4000footer.org/faq.htm

The site originally referred to is VFTT, and there is currently a thread going on that is about this very topic, which, by the way, is one that is oft repeated. It seems when the shoulder season is as it is this year these types of conversations spring up.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:10 am
Sovereign Woodsman

The New England Fifty Finest is not an AMC Four Thousand Footer Committee list, patch or award, so the AMC rules do not apply (they may, if adopted by whoever 'awards' recognition for completing this list, but I think it is just a list compiled by Roy Schweiker and Andy Martin, and you can find Roy on VFTT and PM him any questions.)

Tim

Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]