Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 TRIP REPORT: Mt. Osceola and East Peak - July 27, 2006 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

TRIP REPORT: Mt. Osceola and East Peak - July 27, 2006
Sorry for the belated report, work gets in the way sometimes . . .

Anyway, the wife and I hit the Mt. Osceola trailhead (Tripoli Rd.) EARLY that morning. We reached the Mt. Osceola summit around 10:30, and after stopping at the old fire tower locations, we moved on to the REAL summit. Amazing views from the rock cliffs!

As with the day before, trail conditions were wet and slippery on the rock trail. Weather was a bit hazy but NO rain or thunder.

We proceeded to the East Peak, quickly reached the chimney and decided to descend it, opting not to take the detour. We decided to take the detour rather than climb the chimney, however we never found it on our return. We then climbed back up to the East Peak from the col, decent views from a couple of the lookouts. We did not see a person until we return to the Mt. Osceola summit and there were 4 people and 2 dogs. A great morning, quite solitary hike!

A quick lunch and then we headed back down the Mt. Osceola trail, passing a few hikers on the way up. We hustled our way down as we had some friends to meet at Newfound Lake by 3 PM. Other than a gentle tumble into the trees by my wife, it was a superb hike. 2 more 4K’s down . . .

irishskier

Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:45 am

That chimney can be tough to find, but it is one of the best parts of that trail...or at least the most challenging.
Glad you had nice weather as the views from Osceola can be pretty cool.

Keep plugging away and please feel free to hook up with any of the hikes on the board,
Bill

Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:35 pm
Master Mountaineer

Sometimes it can be more difficult to bypass the chimney than to do the chute. This is always a nice hike. Thank you for the trip report! No one has posted in 10 days. Let's talk it up!

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:49 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

We saw the detour from the top of the chimney when headed to East Peak from Osceola, but did not see it from the bottom on the way back. We saw what we thought was a side trail, but it was tough to follow so I convinced the wife that she could do it. She did, impressively at that; you'd think she was an experienced free climber. Of course I had the packs . . .

Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:20 am
Master Mountaineer

I found the bypass to be seriously challenging the two times I returned this winter. We just looked at the chimney and said no. A big group I'm in is hiking the O's again this Friday. To take the main chute or the bypass will be the question. I'll be a blast either way. I'll let you know!

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:54 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Thanks - I would like to know if I was on the right track. Let me know what you find.

I saw the route around from the top of the chimney, it was on the left. On the way to East Peak, I saw what liiked like a lesser used trail also to the left, so we marked it with sticks. On our return, we found the sticks and began to follow the route, but is sort of vanished and we were not in the mood for bushwacking . . .

Have a great hike!

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]