Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Almost to #48 Which would you choose? 

Which hike should do last?
Mt. Isolation  42%  [ 8 ]
Mt. Cabot  11%  [ 2 ]
Kinsman South  47%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 19

Almost to #48 Which would you choose? 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Petch wrote:
Get hammered on your birthday instead of going hiking.

Then, in late February when the days are longer, and the snowshoe track is all packed out thru the Engine Hill bushwack, do Isolation. 12 miles of beautiful showshoing. No puddles, no mud, no problems........

just saying'
Petch

I agree and was going to say the same thing. I've done Isolation 3 times, and the easiest conditions were in the winter. That Engine Hill Bushwhack not only saves you miles, it saves you elevation gain, and saves you from having to hike over the sloppiest part of the Rocky Branch trail (which, not surprisingly, is the downhill section between the top of Engine Hill and the Rocky Branch river). That section can be a mile of hell in November. The first time I hiked Isolation, it was in late November, and it was all ice and muddy, boot-sucking puddles. The winter route will also save you a couple of stream crossings. It's a no-brainer. :wink:

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:37 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Lots of people finish on Isolation. For that reason I would pick another peak. I voted for South Kinsman because I like it better than Cabot. I'd prefer the open summit and views of the Franconia ridge. And if you want to get people to join you for the final peak, S. Kinsman might be an easier sell than either Cabot or Isolation.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:33 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I voted for the Kinsmans. I never thought of this myself, but having friends along would be a great way to finish (I recently met a hiker who was saving Jackson for that reason). IMHO, Isolation beats the rest for the view and adventure (but I'd wind up in isolation if that was my last), so I suggest Kinsman for accessibility.

Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:45 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Done
Hey Everyone,
So I'm Done. Appreciate everyone's input. I ended up going with Isolation Last and it was, for me the best.

Cabot was an overnight in the cabin. 15 and windy with snow. it was great!
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1360219

The Kinsmans had about 6" of snow. Stayed at the Kinsman Pond shelter.
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1373421

Mt Isolation was a perfectly blue sky day. All the snow had melted. Hiked in from 16, stayed at the shelter overnight, then hiked out the davis path. 17 mile trip but an awesome trip.
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1379919

Thanks again,
-Brian

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:13 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Congratulations on your finish, glad to hear you had nice clear weather for Isolation, it does have some awesome views!

Interesting that Rocky Branch #2 is still there. I thought it had been removed several years ago and don't remember it being there when I did the Isolation dayhike a few years back (c.a. 2005, in and out form rt. 16). Guess I just missed it somehow!

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:00 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Done
Sumday27 wrote:
Hey Everyone,
So I'm Done. Appreciate everyone's input. I ended up going with Isolation Last and it was, for me the best.

Congratulations! :D

Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:10 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

madmattd wrote:
Congratulations on your finish, glad to hear you had nice clear weather for Isolation, it does have some awesome views!

Interesting that Rocky Branch #2 is still there. I thought it had been removed several years ago and don't remember it being there when I did the Isolation dayhike a few years back (c.a. 2005, in and out form rt. 16). Guess I just missed it somehow!

RBS2 is a little bit downstream from the Isolation/RB junction, you probably just didnt take the side trip downstream.

I dont think RBS2 will be there much longer. OTOH, the wmnf service has plenty to do after Irene without worrying about a shelter tear-down... so maybe it'll have a little more time.

I wish it could just be repaired, I like having the shelters ....

Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:12 am
Sovereign Woodsman

scooter wrote:
RBS2 is a little bit downstream from the Isolation/RB junction, you probably just didnt take the side trip downstream.

I dont think RBS2 will be there much longer. OTOH, the wmnf service has plenty to do after Irene without worrying about a shelter tear-down... so maybe it'll have a little more time.

I wish it could just be repaired, I like having the shelters ....

Got it, for some reason I thought it was closer to the junction (as in right at it), or that there would at least be a sign for it (and maybe there was and I was blind to it, wouldn't be the first time!).

While the shelters are nice, I understand why they want to discontinue them in wilderness areas, even if it is a bit of a weak reason. I would like to see them keep a few tent pad areas officially open though...a la 13 falls, which is a nice little spot. Oh well :|

I am considering a multi-day Presi loop based out of Pinkham and was thinking about throwing Isolation in with it. But RBS2 would be a bit too far of a push for me from Lakes I'm thinking. Not dragging a full pack up to 6000 feet for one night in the valley would be nice though! I've got some time to think on this one though, there are alternatives.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2