Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Suggestions for one last hike 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

would you suggest going Field->Willey->Field->Tom->Back to trailhead (Avalon Trail)
or Tom->Field->Willey->Field->Avalon

Is one way less strenuous/preferred?

Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:21 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Just my 2 cents but I'd go Tom, Field, Willey, Field, Avalon. That is, if you're gonna do them all in one hike. I haven't come up Willey from the ladder side so somebody else could chime in on that route.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:11 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Kathy wrote:
Just my 2 cents but I'd go Tom, Field, Willey, Field, Avalon. That is, if you're gonna do them all in one hike. I haven't come up Willey from the ladder side so somebody else could chime in on that route.

I think that's what we'll do, if we're feeling up to it :) I've contemplated staying west and doing Lafayette and Lincoln, but I have a feeling we'll go with the Tom/Field/Willey plan for our (potential) last hike of the season :)

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:48 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Kathy wrote:

I will second that. Be sure to stop at Avalon on the way down. A great last stop just over a mile from the end.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:08 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

IQuest wrote:
Kathy wrote:

I will second that. Be sure to stop at Avalon on the way down. A great last stop just over a mile from the end.

Definitely plan on it. Good last rest, I reckon, with some sweet (hopefully) views! And I won't forget to bring a towel!

Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:17 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I did this Avalon/Field/Willey/Field/Tom.

The reasons I chose this were 1) Avalon first, because surely it has the least dramatic views as the lowest peak, and 2) Tom last, because if we ran out of time/daylight/energy, it would probably be the easiest to hit by itself.

I'll say this though -- at least the day that I was there (clouds to the West may have stolen some joy), Avalon had by FAR the BEST views of any of them, so saving it for last might not be a bad idea.

I still think Tom is the easiest to hit on it's own and chop off the end if circumstances aren't what you would hope for, although it's not an overly strenuous trip so if you're planning it out you'll likely have no problems.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:28 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

If doing this as an in and back, I think Kathy's route is the best. And I'm not sure the views from Avalon are the least dramatic. 8)

Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:52 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Joe, the 1st paragraph was my "before hike" rationale. Note the 2nd paragraph. The 4k's were really quite an anti-climax for us.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:01 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Grindboy wrote:
Joe, the 1st paragraph was my "before hike" rationale. Note the 2nd paragraph. The 4k's were really quite an anti-climax for us.

Yeah, that's a funny thing about some of the 4K hikes, sometimes the peaks that aren't on the list are the best ones in a particular range. Mt. Hight also comes to mind.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:17 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I will say this. Do whatever you want; the mountains will still be there tomorrow! :twisted: (unless you are a soon-to-be delisted 3k peak).

Greg

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:26 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

jdgibney wrote:
And I won't forget to bring a towel!

:D

Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:10 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I think either way is about equal. I did it by Avalon / Field / Willey / Field / Tom because the Avalon trail is steeper and more boulder-strewn than A-Z, I knew I had clear skies early and clouds later, and as mentioned above, I could reach Tom later if the traverse to Willey took more out of me than I anticipated. As it turned out, this was an easy hike and it wouldn't have mattered. Have fun!

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:49 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

We ended up going yesterday, and it was a mess (trail-wise, and physically). I'm almost ashamed to say it, but, we ended up only hitting Tom>Field>Avalon and skipped Willey. I"ll have a report and a few pics up within a couple of days.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:43 am

No reason to be ashamed, I skipped Willey the first time out to that range, partly from being tired, partly from being with an annoying hike leader (just wasn't feeling the "magic")...me and one other hiker decided to turn back at Field. It was my second trip to any set of 4K peaks, and two of them were enough for that day. Although we took the Avalon trail on the way down, we decided to pass on Avalon's summit because it was almost dark and we were on an icy trail.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:21 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

jdgibney wrote:
We ended up going yesterday, and it was a mess (trail-wise, and physically). I'm almost ashamed to say it, but, we ended up only hitting Tom>Field>Avalon and skipped Willey.

Ain't no shame in knowing your limits. Or suspecting your limits and making the right choices. Most often when Cathie and I have bagged a planned route/summit/crossing/whatever, when we return to complete we realize that our previous decision to bag was the right choice.

It's all good. Willey is still there waiting for ya.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next