Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 NEHH 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

NEHH
So I have broken into Maine. I love it by the way! Here is my question for all of you seasoned peak baggers:

What book or map or book of maps or book and map do I need to complete Maine. It isnt the 4K's so much as it is the NEHH that is giving me trouble. I have all these new mountains to aquaint myself with, which is rather exciting, but they aren't on the dang maps I have. There are two Snow Mountains, Boundary Peak, Elephant and some others that I was trying to bone up on this morning and they aren't on the maps that came with the book. I am always game for a bit secret but come on.

So, to keep this hobby as inexpensive (NOT!) as possible is there one set of maps or book and maps that works best or am I going to have to buy all the quad maps of Maine?

SOS
Heather

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:28 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I don't know of any books or maps that cover those other than topo maps. The AMC 4K committee has a set of directions that they'll give you if you ask them. Hopefully they've updated them since I used them as some of it read like a riddle.

Boundary is easiest from ZEC Louis Gosford Park in Quebec. They'll even give you a map and you hike up an ATV trail to the boundary swath. Chain of Ponds Snow has a trail and I think that is shown in the Maine Mountain Guide, although I think it's in the older edition and not the newest.

The others: Snow (Cupsuptic), Elephant, White Cap, North Peak of the Kennebago Divide and East Kennebago are 'whacks of varying difficulty with herd paths of varying quality in places.

Only the most recent DeLorme Atlas has a prayer of being accurate. In 2008, we had a 2002 edition and a 2005 edition. Neither agreed with each other and both were wrong when it came to some of the logging roads.

I finished the NEHH three years ago so if you have any other specific questions you can ask me.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:39 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I think the easiest thing for you to do if you are serious about that sissy list is to find like-minded people, unless you feel like doing a lot of the whacks solo.
Otherwise, either do your research online or there are several programs that you can use to "plan" your route.
http://mapper.acme.com/ takes a bit to get used to but it helps. you can also buy topo software.

or come on here and ask. there are plenty of people who have done any peak you can think of in the area.

Greg

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:50 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I've been stuck at 93/100 for quite a while. I would love to go with a group and pool resources and knowledge. All seven are in Maine and trail-less I believe.

I posted with this same title this spring but I'm not sure where it went.

Check here for reports: http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/me/

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:10 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I have 3 NH bushwhacks scheduled ahead of me, Scar Ridge, Vose Spur and PATN. Once I get through those I will start posting questions about the next. If anyone wants to pool resources or knows others that need same peaks, I am all for sharing bushwhacks. I did Goose Eye, carlo and Success alone with my dog this weekend which was great to reconnect with her but I look like I'm looney tunes talking to the dog all the time!
Happy Trails
Thanks Guys,
Heather

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:08 am
Sovereign Woodsman

PaTN is nice, just make sure you do not skip Haystack Mtn. Talk about nice views. Scar Ridge is a pain for most people, and was not bad at all. I would recommend going with someone though if you have never done any type of sustained bushwhacking. Vose Spur is the only one we have yet to do but it is straight up easy if you do it the way every one else does.

I have yet to get into Maine outside of Carlo, nor have we stepped foot in Vermont. Maybe next year we'll break out a bit.

Greg

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:26 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I have both the maps and the descriptions from Gene/Keith in PDF form. PM / e-mail me your e-mail address and I'll send them along.

Another good resource is Bob & Geri's web site - www.rbhayes.net

Tim

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:18 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

The three that I have scheduled are all with groups. I cannot imagine a bushwhack alone. How would I even call SAR? I plan on playing follow the leader.

Thank you for all your helps!
Heather

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:52 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

bikehikeskifish wrote:
I have both the maps and the descriptions from Gene/Keith in PDF form. PM / e-mail me your e-mail address and I'll send them along.

Another good resource is Bob & Geri's web site - www.rbhayes.net

Tim

Has Keith updated the descriptions?

Bob & Geri's site has lots of good info. As of 3 years ago it was mostly accurate. (Some of the places they went to a while ago) I seem to recall a few minor things had changed but nothing that caused any issues.

Mohammed Ellozy's site also has some useful although dated info. http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/ne-hu ... ghest.html

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:50 am
Sovereign Woodsman

PATN? Also, is Mt Carlo a NEHH peak? I don't remember. :oops:

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:13 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Heather - see that you are signed up for the PaTN and Vose Spur hikes that we are leading with Kate. Feel free to bring a bunch of questions to the hikes :>

We loved doing the NEHH peaks - got us to places we'd never go otherwise!

http://www.rbhayes.net/

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:16 am
Sovereign Woodsman

bobandgeri wrote:
Heather - see that you are signed up for the PaTN and Vose Spur hikes that we are leading with Kate. Feel free to bring a bunch of questions to the hikes :>

You're doing the PaTN again??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Tim

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:35 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

bikehikeskifish wrote:
bobandgeri wrote:

You're doing the PaTN again??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Tim

At least once each Fall! It's a fun hike with nice views! You should join us!

Of course Owl's Head is a favorite also :wink:

http://www.rbhayes.net/

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:38 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Steve wrote:

How can I tell? The most recent revised date in the document is 5/25/2008. The date on the files is 6/10/2008 indicating when I received them...

Tim

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:39 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

bikehikeskifish wrote:
Steve wrote:

How can I tell? The most recent revised date in the document is 5/25/2008. The date on the files is 6/10/2008 indicating when I received them...

Tim

He may have updated them, but you don't have the update then. I'd suggest selecting the files and pushing the delete button.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next