[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - Safe hike or better to drive away?

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Safe hike or better to drive away? 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Safe hike or better to drive away?

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:14 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:25 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

My Trip Reports:

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:47 pm

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:51 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:02 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:39 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:13 pm

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:20 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:42 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:09 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:29 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Get lost, fall, and break an ankle …

OR just fall and break an ankle....

How long before anyone misses you and worries enough to call the Police?

No one knows you went hiking until they find your car at the trailhead.

You have no food.

You have no water.

You have no shelter from rain or wind.

You have no way to create a fire.

You don't have an adequate map.

You have a compass/light via the cell phone that both rely on a finite power source [battery].

You have clothes that may not be warm enough at night and, if it rains, that wet cotton is going to make it even more difficult to stay warm.

At that point, you are relying on getting cell phone service in the mountains.

Did you know that you should actually head up the ridge in this case rather than following a drainage to a stream and then downstream to civilization?

When you manage to get to the ridge, you may not have cell phone service.

Maybe Lassie will find her way home and tell Mom that Timmy is in trouble. :wink:

Now you may have done this hike and had a great day. But that does not make it a wise decision.

If the scenario I described unfolded, the hiking BBs would be having a field day discussing your choices.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:57 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:34 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:53 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Re: Safe hike or better to drive away?

Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next