Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Hello, an Essay of Sorts, and a Couple Questions 
Sovereign Woodsman

Hello, an Essay of Sorts, and a Couple Questions
Hey, I found these forums a few weeks back and I have to say they have been helpful as I planned a trip, especially the trip reports section. A brief bit about me: I am in my mid-20s, originally from Rochester, NY, now relocated near Boston due to a work opportunity.

I am quite familiar with the White Mountains, my father and I are both members of the NH 4k club (summer). We took a week each summer when I was in High School and came up to the Whites (~9 hours to Pinkham each way!) and bagged all 48, a couple twice (we did a Zealand-Galehead-Greenleaf 4-day trip my first time out, we ended up hiking all but Garfield over again of course...). We actually didn't finish until after my second year of college, I graduated High School with us being about 8-10 short, and we didn't get to them the next year. Finished up with Cannon and then Carriagan the next day.

Anyway, I am glad to now be a mere 2.5-3 hours away, but I haven't hiked since September 2007. I am in reasonable shape but not really like I was in High School when I could climb at a good rate (maybe not by some people's standards here, but I would routinely be able to shave an hour off a 3-3.5 hour book-time climb).

On to my purpose with this post (I'm long-winded...). A buddy and I have been talking for the last month about taking a weekend and doing a day hike or two. He is down near NYC right now, but is willing to make the 5.5-hour drive. This weekend is finally a weekend that both works schedule-wise and is promising in weather. He's not done much in the way of hiking, certainly nothing like the Whites, but is in solid shape, probably better than me honestly.

I was looking to get him off with a bang, the typical Franconia Ridge half-loop, Haystack-Lincoln-Lafayette. Up Falling Waters, down the Bridle Path. I also intend to stop for a little while at Greenleaf and give him a feel for the huts, though this will depend on time (hence the reasoning for doing the CCW loop, plus I'd rather go up Falling Waters, having done it both ways in the rain before). I am intending to get on the trail around 8-8:30 so we will be up on the ridge at lunch time.

I've hiked all these trails before in both directions (aside from the ridge, only done that North-to-South). I did Falling Waters in light-to-moderate rain up-and-down, I don't remember it being too bad by NH standards aside from a few interesting stream crossings. Obviously the ridge is spectacular in good weather, hence my reasoning in waiting until this weekend to do it. The Bridle Path is what it is, I'm not a fan of the footing in some spots, but it isn't horrible by my memory.

I'm wondering about trail conditions and any road closures around the area due to Irene. I know there were some and the Kanc at last glance was still closed in spots, but is 93 clear up to Franconia? Probably going to camp up there, or possibly at Lafayette Place if need be. I am aware from the trip reports here and on the trail conditions site that there are some issues on the first quarter-mile or so of the Bridle Path, but how about the stream crossings on Falling Waters? I recall a few being somewhat tricky and with Irene dumping a boatload of rain plus the non-stop rain of the last few days, this is my main concern right now. I'm sure no one has done much since Monday but you never know...

Also considering Moosilauke (Gorge Brook-Carriage-Snapper) or Osceola as other hikes, but I am pretty set on Franconia Ridge at the least. I know it is over-traveled, but there is a reason for that! Moriah also came up as I was looking at trip reports, but I don't think I want to go that far North and do that long of an up-and-back this go around. I'm not too concerned about the length/climbing of Franconia Ridge, we will be fine, just not going to set any records.

Thoughts? Thanks for sitting through the wall-o-text!

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:38 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Welcome to the boards and welcome back to hiking.

You should be fine w/Lafayette. Check out a recent tr for your 1st choice here: http://viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=41847

It may be a busy weekend on the ridge b/c of the FOT48. info on that here: http://www.flagsonthe48.org/

Have fun. Don't overdo it.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:57 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Kathy wrote:
Welcome to the boards and welcome back to hiking.

You should be fine w/Lafayette. Check out a recent tr for your 1st choice here: http://viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=41847

It may be a busy weekend on the ridge b/c of the FOT48. info on that here: http://www.flagsonthe48.org/

Have fun. Don't overdo it.

Thanks Kathy for the super-fast response!

I saw the first part of that TR, thanks for the link to the rest. Sounds like all is fine except for the bottom of the Bridle Path/Falling Waters which we'll deal with. I have a set of Lekis, might let my bud use one or I'll make him get a set :D They are always nice on stream crossings.

I forgot all about FOT48, thanks for the reminder. I honestly don't know if we will hike Sunday as he will want to get home (5.5 hours is a bit of a drive, my 2.5 hours is no biggie), but as I said, Osceola or Moosilauke would be my hikes for that day, a little less traveled perhaps (well, probably not Moosilauke).

Either way, I'm happy to see mostly sun in the forecast, there hasn't been much of that lately it seems (been watching the MWO cameras). When my dad and I did the Ridge traverse years back (we did it in 2 days: day 1, park at The Basin, hike to Greenleaf. Day 2, hike the ridge out to Flume, back to Liberty, down Liberty Springs and out to The Basin), we had some nice weather. Hoping to be able to take a little more time to look around this time!

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:06 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Matt. Should be a great fall-ish weekend for that. The sugar maples are doing their thing in the wetlands so that adds to the fun. Be sure to bring warm gear for your overnight. Be careful if you go to the moose via the lodge. I hear the roadway is a little unstable on the edges.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:21 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks for the heads-up on the road to the lodge, I assume it is open to get in though? I'll do some snooping.

My bud might only be able to do the Saturday hike owing to his distance to get home, but I might hit Moosilauke myself. Depends on how we both feel Sunday morning I suppose. The time I hiked it before it was overcast and you couldn't see more than a quarter mile or so, but in between clouds it looked like a good view was possible, and I don't remember the climb being too bad. I saw in a TR that the gorge-carriage-snapper is fine aside from some issues at the beginning of the gorge trail near the stream crossings (no surprise there).

Now that I think about it, it'd be kind of cool to be around for FOT48. If my bud has the time, maybe we'll switch the hikes around and do Franconia Ridge Sunday, along with probably 2 million other people :roll:

Weather's looking awesome for both days, aside from maybe being windy.

We shall see how the overnight goes. I'm going to grab my 20 degree bag in addition to my summer stuff. The tent is a new Eureka tent, just bought yesterday. Not sure how warm a one it will be. Sets up easy though, even in my living room!

Heading up tomorrow evening, got to try to beat the Boston rush hour North :wink:

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:49 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

madmattd wrote:

Weather's looking awesome for both days, aside from maybe being windy.

Welcome to the forum. And windy, is exactly what we want on Sunday for FOT48. :D

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:02 am
Sovereign Woodsman

JustJoe wrote:
Welcome to the forum. And windy, is exactly what we want on Sunday for FOT48. :D

Thanks, and you do raise a valid point. It's always a bit breezy on the top, I don't mind that, I was thinking more of the 35-40mph range that they are forecasting for tomorrow.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:14 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Matt, yes the road is open and yes that's the side you want to be hiking from b/c the road to the Benton Trail was still closed last I checked (or the th was closed, one of those 2).

We had 100 mile views when we did the Moose. 8)

Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:16 pm

madmattd wrote:
It's always a bit breezy on the top

No, not always. :( Talk about pathetic. :wink:

Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:36 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I'm not up for doing it via Benton...certainly not as a first or second hike in 4 years. I've heard parts of it aren't fun...or are VERY fun depending on your outlook :D 100 mile views are certainly welcome though! I'll be sure to take a bunch of pictures and pop up a TR next week.

Okay Joe, you got me there. How about "often" or "usually"? And it's driving me nuts, which summit is that? I know I know it, I just can't place it...I want to say Hale, but it doesn't look quite right for that though.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:49 pm

madmattd wrote:
And it's driving me nuts, which summit is that? I know I know it, I just can't place it...I want to say Hale, but it doesn't look quite right for that though.

Carter Dome

Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:06 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

You missed a quiz op there, Joe, although I recognized it pretty quickly.

Tim

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:22 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

JustJoe wrote:
Carter Dome

*facepalm* Of course...I was ignoring that whole Northern section as I went through them in my mind...how dare I forget that climb out of the hut (with full pack no less).

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:55 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Well, good news in that my friend doesn't mind getting home at midnight Sunday night and wants to do 2 full hikes.

Now I just have to go do some work tomorrow, leave early afternoon, get food for the trip (at least for the hiking end and breakfasts -> no stove) and drive up there.

Oh, and decide which hike we will do on Sunday, day of FOT48. I'm actually kind of pumped to see this event, a nice coincidence that the first good weather weekend when we were both available happens to fall on this day.

Decisions, decisions. Recommendations? I'm leaning towards Franconia Ridge merely because of seeing more of the peaks, but I imagine it will be swarmed, far more than Moosi, though I expect a lot of people there too. There were when I hiked it years back, and it was foggy.

If all goes according to plan, we will get my friend's first 3 4k's and I'll be headed off on run #2 (I'll call it 3/48). Next summer I think I'll take more weekends and head up. Maybe knock off 15-20 more.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]