Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 First 4K(s)! 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

bikehikeskifish wrote:
Personally, above 30% I consider whether I want to get wet. 30% or less is standard summer weather conditions, pretty much every day, particularly for "isolated t-storms".

Tim

That sounds good. Of course now the AccuWeather site says: Tonight: mostly cloudy with a t-storm and tomorrow: a passing morning shower...

Weather channel says: tonight: Isolated T-storms, chance of rain 30% and tomorrow: chance of rain 20%

which tells me... who really knows? but leads me to ask, is there a good site to check for weather in the mountains? (I was just checking for Whitefield)

Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:34 am
Sovereign Woodsman

If you look around here a bit you will find many discussions on which weather site(s) to use.

I personally like to combine several. NOAA is generally pessimistic so often that is the worst weather you will see. However, it's not always accurate for the higher areas since the mountain models are different from the valley models. Mount Washingon's OBS is usually pretty good, but they only forecast 36 hours ahead - beyond that things change too quickly.

NOAA - Twin Mountain
Crown Weather - Mt. Washington (aggregator of several sources)
Mount Washinton OBS

In particular, I like to zoom in on the detail from NOAA, using the "Hourly weather graph" link. This gives you an idea of the trend for the 48-hour period you select. You may see that 4 or 5pm is where the 30 or 40% rain comes from and it's only 10-15 from 6am to 4pm in which case GO HIKING!

Tim

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:46 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Tim, thank you for the links, I appreciate it, and I also appreciate all of the help I've gotten as a newb on here with minimal ribbing! ;)

I'm looking forward to the challenge tomorrow...

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:06 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

NOAA Higher Summits Forecast
Take a look at NOAA's Higher Summit forecast. I find this to be pretty accurate. Although, it is never forecasted for longer than 36 hours, it is updated @ 3am which is quite handy for those with early starts or long drives

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gyx/

This links to the Gray Maine NOAA station which covers Maine & NH. Within the GYX page, on the left hand side, is the link to the higher summit forecast

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:39 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I wouldn't worry too much about a 30% chance of rain. Also, while Pierce has an exposed summit, you'll be in the trees for almost the whole hike, except for the area right near the summit. If there's a little rain, you'll be somewhat protected by the trees for most of the hike. If it gets really bad, you can just turn around.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:23 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Just got back to NashAngeles after an amazing first hike in the Whites. The trip up to Eisenhower through Pierce was the most difficult (really only the last 2 miles descending, my knee was really bothering me) and most rewarding hike (almost exactly 10 miles, 4 miles longer than anything I've done so far with any significant elevation gain) I've done in NH. I probably will feel it for a few days, but it was outstanding. I will put together a trip report once I get some pix from my friend's digital camera, but it was a great day. Thanks everyone for the suggestions, and encouragement!

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2