[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - Owl's Head Slide Trail Marker

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Owl's Head Slide Trail Marker 

leave as is, consider my section as starting immediately after the entrance to the slide  22%  [ 2 ]
leave as is, photograph what I find each visit and forward to FS  11%  [ 1 ]
restore to a discreet single rock cairn each time regardless of how little or much I find  56%  [ 5 ]
dismantle whatever I find and restore to "Wilderness standard"  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9

Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Hi,

I am headed out later this month to do some trail maintainence and to get a GPS track for my entire section.

I saw this recent photo of the entrance to the slide and I have to agree with the photographer that it is excessive. I started to think about what I would do if I came upon this set-up and quickly realized how subjective it is. For example, maybe most people think this arrangement is just fine.

I understand there has been a cat & mouse game over the years between the FS and hikers regarding this. I have NO DESIRE to get caught up in something like that.

My personal belief is that people will always hike to Owl's Head, trails help concentrate use, and the lack of trails to the Owl's Head summit only leads to multiple herdpaths. Ideally the FS will allow a trail marker someday.

So I was wondering what people think I should do as the trail adopter. Not just this time, but everytime, considering that what I find may range from "nothing there" to "wood/rock scree wall on Bondcliff".

I think my options are:
- leave as is, consider my section as starting immediately after the entrance to the slide
- leave as is, photograph what I find each visit and forward to FS
- restore to a discreet single rock cairn each time regardless of how little or much I find [this is probably illegal...]
- restore to "Wilderness standard"

I am leaning towards option # 1 to preserve my sanity but I do wonder if I could hold to that if there was a truly monsterous arrangement.

Thanks.[url][/url]

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:04 am
Sovereign Woodsman

It is my understanding that the Forest Service supports a single cairn at the bottom and another one on the true summit, in order to minimize the many herd paths ("protect the resource", in their parlance.) If I were the maintainer, I'd ask the Forest Service, or whoever I "report to" in the maintaining/adopting organization, rather than taking an informal internet poll.

Tim

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:57 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I voted for the single rock cairn, like one BIG single rock. In a perfect world I'd like to see nothing there in accordance with wilderness standards but if that's what you do someone will come along and build up/overkill the situation again. If there was one large rock there that should do the trick and wouldn't look all that out of place. If they can bolt a sign to a tree at the top I see nothing wrong with a small indiscreet marking of some sort.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:01 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:42 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Thanks

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:43 am

My personal feelings are that a small cairn at the slide and summit are fine. The question I have is why is it only Owls Head that this a big concern? There are a few other peaks in wilderness areas that don't seem to get this attention.

Note the wall behind my pack on W. Bond

So I repeat the question. Why Owls Head?

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:55 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:52 pm

Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:23 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

drifting...

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:02 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:31 pm