[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - Mount Lincoln / LaFayette

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mount Lincoln / LaFayette 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Mount Lincoln / LaFayette
I'm doing my first overnight hike in a few weeks and I want to make sure that I'm not getting in over my head.

We intend to begin our hike around 2:00 PM and hike up Old Bridle Path to Greenleaf Hut. We have reserved bunks at Greenleaf Hut for the night. We will leave Greenleaf Hut after breakfast and continue to the Summit of Mt. Lafayette. We will then follow the ridge to Mount Lincoln and then to Little Haystack. We will take Falling Waters Trail back down to the trailhead.

My friend and I have both hiked Mt Washington a few times. I have gone up Tuckermans ravine and down Lion's head and had no issues.

A few questions:
Will parking be an issue at the trailhead? Do I need a parking pass? Where do I get one?
Will we have trouble with our route (compared to my experience on Washington)?
I believe that Falling Waters can be bad if it is wet? Is a backup plan of hiking up to Mount Lincoln and then backtrack to the hut and down Old Bridle Path feasible?

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:04 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Your plans are very reasonable. There is no pass required at the trailhead. The parking lot can hold maybe 200 cars so you should be able to find a spot although it can be quite busy. The route you plan to take is very popular and easy to follow. The Falling waters Tr could be slippery when wet but only on a couple of spots. Nothing to be concerned of IMO unless icy. Just remember that they serve dinner at 6pm I believe at the hut. You won't want to miss that. I think you should be fine and will have an excellent time especially if the weather cooperates.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:11 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

I should add that we will be leaving on a Friday afternoon. Does this change the parking situation? What can I do for a backup plan as far as parking?

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:14 am
Sovereign Woodsman

You should be fine on a Friday. By 2pm on any given day someone will be finishing and you can take their spot if you need to.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:21 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

You should still be fine for parking on a Friday. But as a backup plan, you could also park in the Lafayette Campground parking lot, on the southbound side of route 93. There's a pedestrian tunnel under the highway that brings you over to the Old Bridle Path/Falling Waters trailhead (which is on the northbound side of 93). To get to the Lafayette Campground lot, if you found the main one full, you'd get back on the highway and go further north on 93, and turn around at the exit for the Cannon Tramway (I think it's exit 34-B) and head south on 93.

Have fun! I think your plan is very reasonable, and I wouldn't worry about Falling Waters, you just might need to take some extra care if you come across some wet rocks.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:28 am

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:20 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:33 pm

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:39 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:02 am

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:28 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:39 am