[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - Mt W-i-lley or W-I-lley

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Mt W-i-lley or W-I-lley 

W-i-lley or W-I-lley?
W-i-lley  79%  [ 11 ]
W-I-lley  21%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 14

Mt W-i-lley or W-I-lley 
Sovereign Woodsman

Mt W-i-lley or W-I-lley
How do the rest of you pronounce this mountain and what is the correct way?

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:33 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Willie.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:46 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I agree with Woods Dweller...at least, that's the way I say it. I don't know what the correct way is.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:49 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Years ago, I watched a documentary called "New Hampshire's
White Mountains and Clear Lakes." In the documentary,
the narrator made mention of the Willey House in Crawford
Notch and he had pronounced it "Willy," so ever since then,
that's the way I've been pronouncing it.

I don't think it's called the "Wile E. Range." :lol:

Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Mt W-i-lley or W-I-lley

Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:14 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:15 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:29 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:38 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

FWIW it is the coyote version, not Nelsons first name, if I read this correctly, which is what I have always heard to be the correct way, although I myself can't help but call it "Willie" like Nelson half the time I speak of it.

...Origins of the Surnames Wylie, Wyllie, Wily, and Wiley, etc. (Soundex W400).

wi-ly () adj : marked by skill in deception; "a foxy scheme"; "sly as a fox".
From wi-le () .] A trick or stratagem practiced for insnaring or deception; a sly, insidious; artifice; a beguilement; an allurement.
[Middle English wil, from Old North French, from Old Norse vl, trick, or of Low German origin.]

There are many ways to spell the surnames prononced as the words wi-le and wi-ly above but, no matter how it's spelled, there can be little doubt as to the origin of the name. The word comes to us from Old Norse spoken in Britton and Scotland in the 9th and 10th centuries A.D. and was used to describe the little red dog-like animal known today as the fox. In the 10th and 11th centuries the word is found in Middle English and again used to describe the fox. In the 13th century the word "wile" or "wyle" means "crafty or sly, like a fox". There is no doubt that the word meant a fox or to be like a fox.

The first time it appears as a surname is in 1355 Scotland when Donald Wyle of Dalswinton registered his lands in Nithsdale, on the River Nith. Dalswinton was a town in the area and lies between the present day towns of Thornhill and Dumfries in Dumfrieshire in the Galloway District of the Southern Uplands of Scotland.

On August 4, 1376 the same Donald was granted Ensigns Amorial at Dumfries Abbey as "DONALD OF DALSWINTON - WYLIE OF THAT ILK". The principle charge of Donald's Arms was a fox and all Arms granted since to Wylies in Scotland have born either a walking or running fox.

Over the next few years Wylies of various spellings, presumeably descendants of Donald, appear all over Scotland and Northern England. Thomas Wyly is listed in the 1379 Yorkshire Poll Tax, John Wili is in Montrose in 1434, William Wyly appears in Ayrshire a few years later and Richard Wyly was Vicar of St. Mary's Dundee in the 1450's. The Wylies spread throughout England and Ireland for the next 200 years and then began their incredible journey to the new worlds.

Many of the Wylies in England used the spelling Wyllie and Wyley, while the Irish Wylies prefered Wiley. It is important to note that names were spelled differently every time a marriage, will or deed was recorded. Sometimes the famiies changed their names just to "fit in". Some Wylies changed their spellings to Wiley and some Wileys changed to Wylie after immigrating to America. I've found branches of my own family using Wily, Wiley, Willey and Wylie between 1788 and 1920.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:24 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:02 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Thanks for sharing that Kathy, that's great!

Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:14 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:34 pm

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:28 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:03 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next