Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Owls Head with my 10 year old 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Owls Head with my 10 year old
My 10 year old is trying to hike all the 4000 footers. He's done 32. Next summer we want to try to do Owls Head but I'm afraid an 18 mile round trip is too much for one day. Are there flat places to camp along the southern end of the Lincoln Brook Trail if we decide to overnight it without humping all the way to 13 Falls Tentsite?
Thanks so much.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:47 am

I'm not sure it's "legal" but we camped near the base of the OH slide trail near the brook. I'm sure there'ss some place in the base area you could find to crash for a night...i's fairly level and there is a water source.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:46 am
Sovereign Woodsman

It's legal. Neither the Lincoln Brook Trail, Lincoln Brook, or the Pemi have any camping restrictions in relation to the proximity to trails in general or these specific trails/bodies of water.

If you want something a little more low impact/secluded, look at the topo map and there's a couple of feeder brooks heading west which you can go up from, or head north from the slide on the trail where it flattens out nicely. I can't vouch for the swampiness of those spots, however.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:35 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

There is a "site" about 50 yards south of the Owl Head Slide trail between the Lincoln Brook and Lincoln Brook Trail. It is just up from the brook and has a small mostly level clearing for a tent or two with a couple of downed trees to sit on. Not sure if it is legal, but it is not a bad spot. Used it when my partner got mildly ill.

Approx Location - N44 08.245 W71 36.968

Enjoy!

12 / 52 WAV
153 / 875 NCT

Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:07 pm

This is just my opinion, but I think it's great that you are willing to camp out at the base of Owl's Head to help your son accomplish the 4000ers goal. There are indeed, some nice spots near the base of the slide to take advantage of. Should be a great bonding experience.

If he has done 32 peaks though, why not try to do it in a day? Get an early start in June when you have the most daylight. Either way, the first 3 miles on the wilderness trail can easily be done by headlamp either at dawn or at twilight. The main concern would be the brook crossings. Avoid going after heavy rains and during the times of the warm snowmelt. Those brooks can really churn.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:41 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Forgot to put this in my previous post by to further SilentCal's post it is very doable in a day and the sites at the base provide some insurance...

12 / 52 WAV
153 / 875 NCT

Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:13 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Salty wrote:
It's legal. Neither the Lincoln Brook Trail, Lincoln Brook, or the Pemi have any camping restrictions in relation to the proximity to trails in general or these specific trails/bodies of water.

hmmm .... maybe I'm misinterpreting something here ....

From http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/wilderness/pemigewasset.htm

"No camping, wood or charcoal fires within 200 feet of any trail. "

Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:13 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

scooter wrote:
Salty wrote:

hmmm .... maybe I'm misinterpreting something here ....

From http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/wilderness/pemigewasset.htm

"No camping, wood or charcoal fires within 200 feet of any trail. "

A'yup, unless they changed the rules recently there has been no camping along the side of the trail since I have been backpacking. In fact, you occasionally see small no camping signs along the LBT. Also I have heard reports of rangers making the trip out later in the day so as to catch people illegally camping and kind of move them along.

In general it is tough to find a legal spot after about where the LBT makes it's turn north. After that point it gets awfully narrow to find a level enough spot. Dave Bear found a decent place last winter, but because there was snow on the ground he was able to make a fairly decent shelf in the snow...something you may not be able to do summer. But if you set camp before the LBT's turn north you should find the land more conducive to your needs.

Brian

Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:28 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

OH may be 18 miles (16 via Black Pond) but it's pretty easy going - it's basically flat until the slide.

Tim

Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:14 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Ouch, thanks Scooter. I was incorrect and I apologize. A stain on my believability. :)

I was looking at http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_m ... es_web.pdf and somehow missed Pemigewasset after Presidential/Dry River in the third column of page 2.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:37 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

We did this hike in November with our 8 year old via a bushwack. If your son is in good shape he will have no problem with it, as it is mostly flat. We did it in 11 hours. good luck

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:26 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I hiked it with a nine and a six year old. It's an easy hike until the slide. We spent the night not far from the start of the slide, then hit it the next morning. The next time we do it, I will do it as a single day hike. Once again, we will do the Black Pond Bushwack to save alittle time.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:47 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Re: Owls Head with my 10 year old
jbthochman wrote:
My 10 year old is trying to hike all the 4000 footers. He's done 32. Next summer we want to try to do Owls Head but I'm afraid an 18 mile round trip is too much for one day. Are there flat places to camp along the southern end of the Lincoln Brook Trail if we decide to overnight it without humping all the way to 13 Falls Tentsite?
Thanks so much.

Did you end up doing this in one day? My girls (8 and 6) and I did this in one day yesterday. First time any of us have hiked that many miles at once. Took us fourteen hours, we only took a few very short breaks.

Though much of the way to the slide is relatively flat, I found the trek difficult. Lots and lots of mud and blowdowns (the blowdowns were on Lincoln Brook Trail, close to the slide). Though the girls were proud of themselves for doing the whole thing in one day, we would have had an easier time of it had we pitched the tent. I had brought all the overnight gear and had planned on spending the night out in the woods, but the girls really wanted to test their limits.

If you haven't done it yet, given our experience yesterday, I'd suggest bringing the overnight gear and then leaving the plans up to your son. If he wants to try to do it in one day, go for it. If not, pitch the tent whenever you both feel like you're finished for the day. There are enough places to camp along the way, you just have to go into the woods a bit here and there to find a suitable place. We passed a LOT of campers every which way last night.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:15 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

We reached OH from Franconia Brook campsite this August (me and the ConMan, age 3) to shorten it to 12 miles, with only the OH slide and peak itself being very difficult. Still a dawn to dusk operation. There was the Pemi crossing, and he was in the pack for that, 'natch.

Here's a question about hiking with children: A crossing like the Pemi (or Lincoln or Franconia) will still be troublesome for him for a few years. Does a helpful hand across a stream negate his reaching the peak on his own? It's not like adult hikers never help each other on a ledge or a crossing.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:47 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

myleftone wrote:
We reached OH from Franconia Brook campsite this August (me and the ConMan, age 3) to shorten it to 12 miles, with only the OH slide and peak itself being very difficult. Still a dawn to dusk operation. There was the Pemi crossing, and he was in the pack for that, 'natch.

Here's a question about hiking with children: A crossing like the Pemi (or Lincoln or Franconia) will still be troublesome for him for a few years. Does a helpful hand across a stream negate his reaching the peak on his own? It's not like adult hikers never help each other on a ledge or a crossing.

It will count. I see it as a minor inconvenience that they have to overcome. If that were so, like you said, anyone helped up here or there would not have made it on their own accord. It would be dumb to think you have to follow it to a T.

Greg

Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next