Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How many bathrooms? 
Sovereign Woodsman

How many bathrooms?
Poor Scott! A co-worker has been bugging him for weeks now. He knows he hikes every weekend and was telling Scott he wants to hike Washington.

He has never hiked before, so Scott was telling him how dangerous it can be, so on and so forth.
His reply, "well it's only like a 4 hour hike right?"
"Try at least 6 hrs!"

Then it was, "So is it steep at all?"
"your climbing the biggest mountain in the East, of course it's steep, very steep!"

Then yesterday it was (and he said he REALLY did ask this), "How many bathrooms are there on the way up?"
"What!?? Seriously? Your in the woods on a mountain, there are no bathrooms! Well, one at the bottom, one half way and at the summit."
"What! What do you do if you have to go?"

Too FUNNY :lol:
This guy is hiking it on Saturday, I doubt he will even find the trail :lol:

FOT48: North Tri '09, Passa '10, Willey '11

Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:23 am
Sovereign Woodsman

And I don't mean to pick on beginner's, let's face it, we all started off not knowing a whole lot. But some people are just plane ignorant!

Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

At least 6 hours is a stretch. Book time is only about 4 hours and depending on your level of fitness it can be done in less pretty easily but I get the point. Beginners are clueless

As mentioned we were all ignorant of what hiking actually entailled at one time. Our first 4Ks 15 years ago were Lincoln and Lafayette in August wearing sneakers, jeans and heavy cotton t-shirts. Between the slipping on wet rocks, sweating, and not having enough snacks or water it damn near killed us. Live and learn.

And just this June my bro-in-law and a friend joined us in Acadia for a big loop over Gorham, The Beehive, Champlain, Dorr and Cadillac. New to hiking and watching their weight for some reason they skipped breakfast and were leaving the campground without snacks and just a bottle of water each to start the day for the 13+ mile hike. I had to tell them if that was all they were bringing they weren't going because they'd never make it. Then after Gorham they said that was scenic but does it get any more extreme than that? After the Beehive they didn't ask that again.

Until you've done it for yourself, like most things I guess, you just don't know what it's about.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:44 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

I certainly understand asking about the hiking time, the steepness of the trails,etc. As you say, we all have to start somewhere. But you mean to say that this guy never took a leak in the woods?

Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:30 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Re: How many bathrooms?
Excape wrote:
Then yesterday it was (and he said he REALLY did ask this), "How many bathrooms are there on the way up?"
"What!?? Seriously? Your in the woods on a mountain, there are no bathrooms! Well, one at the bottom, one half way and at the summit."
"What! What do you do if you have to go?"

Too FUNNY :lol:
This guy is hiking it on Saturday, I doubt he will even find the trail :lol:

As many as you want as long as your below tree line, well off the trail and dig a hole. :lol: :lol:

Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:26 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

I had brought a friend who'd never hiked before with me to Garfield a couple of years ago and she asked me if there was a bathroom at the summit. Not at bad as asking how many there are along the way, but still...

She wasn't too thrilled when I told her that she'd have to take advantage of Mother Nature.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:53 am
Sovereign Woodsman

What's wrong with asking how many bathrooms there are??? :?

:lol:

Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:42 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
At least 6 hours is a stretch. Book time is only about 4 hours and depending on your level of fitness it can be done in less pretty easily but I get the point. Beginners are clueless

Out of curiosity, what route to and from the summit of Washington has a book time of 4 hours? Tuckerman's is the shortest listed book time at 6:20 (http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/washington.html)

Thanks,
Tim

Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:28 am
Sovereign Woodsman

bikehikeskifish wrote:
Out of curiosity, what route to and from the summit of Washington has a book time of 4 hours?

The auto road on a busy day? :wink:

Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:56 am
Sovereign Woodsman

this got me to thinking about a friend with whom I had hiked years back with in Bear Brook State Park on a few occasions. One time we were out there and she says "I really got to go to the bathroom." I was like, well, go in the woods. She was like NO WAY! I was like "are you serious?" She was like I refuse to go to the bathroom in the woods. (she only had to go pee for goodness sake!). Needless to say we had to cut our trip short and DRIVE ALL THE WAY BACK TO MY APartment at the time in CONCORD so she could go to the bathroom!~ I absolutely could not believe it. She thought I was the crazy one for mocking her, but some people are just that way I guess.... I never went in the woods with her again!! DAMN!!

Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:39 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

That's crazy hiking lady. You were gonna make her pee in the woods :shock: :lol:

One thing I HATE to do is what Bob C calls DWE (Deep woods excursion). Did I get that right? I think that is a good one :lol: The first time was at the top of Six Husbands trail and there were no woods, just rocks :oops:
It felt so awkward!

Twice this year it was one of those if I don't go NOW it's not gonna be pretty!! The first time we were driving by Frankenstein cliff. I had to use the outhouse that the door doesn't close on, eeek!
The second was on South Baldface, again on the knoll where there are no trees! Let's just say I will NEVER eat at New England Pizza in Exeter again. The food is good, but something just aint cricket! I haven't had that kinda problem since.

Sorry to gross ya'll out :?

WATER A TREE, PEE IN THE WOODS :lol:

Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:48 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I went up Washington last week by way of Lake in the clouds hut. If I took out the time to I spent going up Monroe and eat at the hut, it would've taken me about 2 1/2 and I felt like Iwas flying. Then I went exploring on the way down, so there was no progress timewise there. Four hours up and down??What trail? OOh and I did pee in the woods.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:49 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

rock quarrie wrote:
But you mean to say that this guy never took a leak in the woods?

I thought men LIVED for opportunities to do just that. Any excuse to pee on a tree, on a rock, in the snow, your neighbor's hubcap.....

Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:58 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

bikehikeskifish wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:

Out of curiosity, what route to and from the summit of Washington has a book time of 4 hours? Tuckerman's is the shortest listed book time at 6:20 (http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/washington.html)

Thanks,
Tim

You're talking round trip. I was talking how long to climb it, up only. Just a mix up I guess. When someone asks me how long to hike/climb something I usually only think in terms of up for some reason, probably because people I hike with are fairly similar in ascent time but descent times vary a lot from person to person in my experience. If they ask how long the hike/trip is then my brain goes into round trip mode. Not exactly sure why that is and both were mentioned in the original post, I just took it to mean one way for some reason.

Anyways the book I'm using for "book time" is the AMC guide. What else would you use?

Tucks; 4 hr 15 min
Huntington; 4 hr 20 min
Lions Head; 4 hr 20 min
Ammo; 4 hr 10 min

But like I said, that's all one way.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:19 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Last edited by HardcoreIdiot on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next