Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 3 day hike - Bonds/Twins/Garfield/Galehead Completed 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

3 day hike - Bonds/Twins/Garfield/Galehead Completed
I can't wait!

I am leaving tonight to start or should I say re-start my quest for all 48-4k's. Planned 3 day hike with 2 nights at Galehead. Day 1 is to bag Garfield and Galehead and spend the night at Galehead Hut. Day 2 is trek is planned for S. Twin, Bond, West Bond, Bondcliff, and possibly Zealand tracking back to Galehead Hut for the night. Day 3 hike is to hit N and S Twin on way back out.

This will be my first major excursion. My last 4k footer was when I was in my teens and I hiked the Rockpile a couple times.

This will be a major test of my physical and metal strength. I am in good shape but I have never attempted a hike of this magnitude before.

Last edited by ETauntonMA on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:58 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Good luck and have a great time!

Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:19 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Wow. You don't mess around! That's a rather ambitious agenda. Let us know how things went...looks like you've got the weather with you.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:20 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Successful trip. Got a late start on Thursday morning. 9am start up Garfield Trail. Made great time though and summited Garfield by 11:30. Spectacular views and the weather could not have been any better. The trek over to the Galehead Hut was a bitch. PUD's. I honestly did not think it was going to end. We finally hit the hut but 4pm or so. After dinner we bagged Galehead in 37 minutes according to another hiker. He was planning on heading out the next morning at 5:30 and wanted to know how long it would take him. Friday dawned foggy and breezy. Not the kind of weather one would want to hit the Bonds with on multiple fronts. But by the time we were heading across Twinway, the clouds were beginning to lift and breaks were showing. By the time we hit Guyot it cleared up. West Bond and Bondcliff were everything I have read about and more. Words cannot describe the beauty of these peaks. We had lunch on West Bond and headed back. We were getting tired at this point but decided to take the 10 minutes to hit the actual Guyot summit. From here we made good time heading back accros Twinway. This section of trail was my favorite of all due to the fauna growing in the trees. It feels like a rainforest. The trip from S.Twin down to the hut was a bitch. Both my knees were spent and it tool all my remaining energy to get down. Today was another spectacular day. No winds with temps in the 40's and 50's to start. We hit the trail by 8:30 up Twinway once again and this time we traversed over to N. Twin and out the North Twin Trail. Just an incredible 3 day trip that I will never forget. That brings my total 4k to 8 now.

Washington
Garfield
Galehead
North Twin
South Twin
West Bond
Bond
Bondcliff
I should throw Guyot in there since I think its a worthy addition.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:43 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

ETauntonMA wrote:
That brings my total 4k to 8 now.

Good for you. Sounds like you had a memorable trip indeed. How are the legs today?! :roll:

We are doing the "official" 48 list, but we too have our own list that includes such peaks as Guyot, b/c we busted our butts to get up there and feel it's worthy of recognition. :)

Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:59 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Kathy wrote:
ETauntonMA wrote:
That brings my total 4k to 8 now.

Good for you. Sounds like you had a memorable trip indeed. How are the legs today?! :roll:

We are doing the "official" 48 list, but we too have our own list that includes such peaks as Guyot, b/c we busted our butts to get up there and feel it's worthy of recognition. :)

Very sore today but warmed up as the day went on.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]