Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Tripyramids with Whiteface & Passaconaway 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Tripyramids with Whiteface & Passaconaway
Trying to hike Sabbaday Brook up the Tripyramids on Saturday, nap overnight on the Kate Sleeper trail near the intersection with Downes brook, then hike out over Whiteface & Passaconaway down the cutoff to the Oliverian Brook trail.

Going with a group of guys I know and I'm kind of the organizer this time out, wanted to run it by you guys to make sure. Looks awesome on the map

Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:15 am

Kate Sleeper Trail is a beauty of a trail. I travelled it early this year and by far , it had the most evidence of moose traffic of any trail I've ever been on. Keep your heads up and tread lightly and you may see them.

Personally, I'd hike Whiteface and Passaconaway first then the Tripyramids on the second day but it's just my preference.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:39 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Sounds like a great hike. Have fun.

Karl

http://twitter.com/LiveFreeAndHike
https://www.instagram.com/livefreeandhike/

Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:08 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Cool thanks guys. Cal I'm going to take your advice on the reverse route, if only to promise everyone there is a waterfall at the end.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:38 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

I did that overnight, except I went up Pine Bend Brook Trail and over the Tripyramids. I had intended to stay at the junction of the Sleeper and Downes Brook Trails, for the water primarily(I had camped there many, many years ago on a fifty miler with the Boy Scouts), but decided to fill my Platypus to capacity and spend the night on Whiteface. I wasn't disappointed. The views of the sunset, the stars and the far away lights at night from the open ledge of Whiteface's assumed-by-many summit were seconds from where I pitched my tent. I went out the same way you're planning (if you go west to east, that is), via Oliverian Brook. Just a heads up, pay close attention for the left onto Square Ledge Trail from the Walden Trail. On that fifty miler so long ago we missed it and added miles and a lot of ups and downs by the time we realized we screwed up. I've heard others have missed it too. East to west the waterfall at the end does sound enticing, though. Either direction it's a really nice overnight... Hope you have a great time!

Pedro Calderon de la Barca

Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]