Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 easy 4K where I can see other flags on Flags On The 48 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

easy 4K where I can see other flags on Flags On The 48
My girlfriend and I finished her NH48 last Sept on Mousilauke. Her niece and the niece's boyfriend joined us, and it happened to be Flags On The 48 day. It was a great experience coming up the ridge and seeing the flag up ahead (coincidentally there were GIs up there on maneuvers, which made it even more special).
So we would like to do another 4K on 9/11 this year. But we have an issue because now another niece wants to join us. The newcomer has never hiked so we would like to do a relatively easy 4K from which we could see other flags from surrounding 4Ks. In my opinion, Waumbek is the easiest 4K but it has a wooded summit with no views of other 4Ks unless you count a squint through the trees to the distant northern Pressies. So I was thinking Tecumseh might be our best bet. The summit is not open, but after seeing the flag at the summit it is an easy walk across the Sussman Trail to the top of Waterville Valley where we could see the flags on the Tris and the Osceolas.
Does anyone have any better ideas?
I appreciate your input.
Thanks very much.
Art

Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:18 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Pierce if its nice weather

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:15 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I think Osceola from Tripoli road is the easiest 4k. It also has views of 41 of the other 4ks if you use the different view points so you should see plenty of flags.

Garfield is 5 miles but very easy grades. It's should also ave views of a lot of other 4ks plus it's regular views are some of the best.

Eisenhower is also pretty easy up Edmands Path but I don't think you can see as many other peaks from there.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:36 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Granite Guy wrote:
I think Osceola from Tripoli road is the easiest 4k. It also has views of 41 of the other 4ks if you use the different view points so you should see plenty of flags.

I'll second the Osceola from Tripoli road. It is the only 4K I have done and found it fairly easy, with great views of the other peaks.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:28 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

HardcoreIdiot wrote:
Pierce if its nice weather

I agree that Pierce is a very good option, milage is in the 3.2 miles one way but easy walking on the Crawford Path. I have not done the Osceolas, but I understand that it is an easy hike from Tripoli road.

Not sure what you are up for or what the kids would be interested in but another option is Jefferson up Caps Ridge trail. It is 2.1 miles with some steeps but fun. We did this trail for FOT48 last year and there were a few younger kids 10 - 12 yrs old just loving it. As long as it is clear and the weather is good you will have plenty of views.

4k: 48/48
Winter 4k: 1/48
Belknaps: 12/12

Enjoy,
Scott

Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:31 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I concur with Greg and Scott. Pierce is your best bet.

Brian

Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:44 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

New Hampshire wrote:
I concur with Greg and Scott. Pierce is your best bet.

Brian

FWIW you can only see 30 other peaks from Pierce. Still a lot of flags if the weather's good and it is definitely one of the easier 4ks.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:20 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Thank you, everyone, for your responses.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:08 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Jackson would also be a good choice. Short hike, I think about 5 miles round trip, a mile or so shorter than Pierce.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:09 am

You can see plenty of Flags from Eisenhower. When I did I think we saw flags on Pierce, Jackson, Willey, Monroe, Jefferson and Isolation. Binoculars are extremly helpful. Good weather is a plus.

Edmands Path up Eisenhower is never overbearingly steep.

You really can't go wrong with any of the Southern Pressies.

Mt. Tom is not too tough a hike, and I'm thinking we might be able to see a bunch from there.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:30 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Thanks again, everyone, for all your input. I think we've decided to take SilentCal's advice and climb Eisenhower. It's a relatively easy hike with great views on a clear day. Plus I think it will be a nice experience for our new hiker to get up into the Presidentials.
Thanks again.
Art

Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:29 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Edmands path is the way to go - my wife was with me last weekend and handled it no problem. Easier then Osceola imo and the views are also excellent, should be a great intro

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]