Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Pemi Loop. Anyone want to go on a sufferfest? 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Pemi Loop. Anyone want to go on a sufferfest?
37 year old guy seeking hiking partner to complete the Pemi (Pemigewasset) Loop in one day on either August 25th, 26th, or 27th. I will be out in New Hampshire with my wife and two little kids during that time. My wife suggested I get away for a day alone to do a big hike. For safety and boredom reason, I’d prefer to hike with someone else.

THE TRAIL: This Pemi Loop is rated America’s 2nd Hardest Dayhike by Backpacker magazine. It is 32 miles long with 18,000 feet of elevation gain and loss. The hike summits eight 4,000 footers but I may want to add two more by hiking an extra 2 miles depending on how we feel and the weather.

ABOUT ME: I have done a number long one day hikes: the Timberline Trail around Mt. Hood (rated America’s 1st hardest dayhike), the entire Coastal Trail at Lake Superior Provincial Park (rated a 5-7 day backpacking trip, took us 28 straight hours), Lake Michigan to Lake Superior in one day (53 miles), and the Lakeshore Trail at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (42.4 miles). I’m in decent shape but nothing spectacular (Example: I jumped on my mountain bike a couple of Saturday’s ago and rode 41 miles in 2 ½ hours and didn’t feel bad the next day.) Most people say I hike fast but there are people I can’t keep up with. On the Lakeshore Trail we averaged 3 m.p.h. including breaks over the whole 42.4 miles. On the other hikes mentioned above, my average speed was slower (2 to 2.5 m.p.h. over the course of 22 hours or more. This is really dependent on the terrain.) To read some short write ups about some of these hikes go to my website: www.roykranz.com. There are links at the bottom of the home page. There is also a link to my videos page. Those are all videos of hiking trips I’ve been on. I’m an optimist. I keep a positive attitude. I’m able to adapt when necessary. I’m fun to be around. I’m mentally tough. And I’m willing to do some suffering to reach my goal. And I’m a federal prosecutor so you can trust me.

Here’s a couple of write ups I found on the internet about the Pemi Loop.

Trip report at: http://danpye.blogspot.com/2007/11/pemi-loop.html

info: http://www.davidalbeck.com/hiking/pemiloop.html

If you think you might be interested in joining me on the Pemi Loop in August either reply here or email me at roykranz at (use the @ symbol) gmail.com

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:11 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Hey GlowingRock - My bf and I were considering attempting a Pemi Loop this summer but I don't think that we'd be much company since we would be lost in your dust after the first half mile. This would be a huge challenge for us and we were figuring that if we made it 2/3 of the way we'd be fine with it.

If no one here wants to take the plunge, there are a couple other hiking sites for NH that have posters who do Pemi Loops regularly. Views From the Top is the first and Rocks on Top is the second. I don't know if you can post seeking hiking partners since they have a invitation-only membership setup. When the time gets closer though maybe someone from here who is also a member of those boards could help you out.

My last thought is that the trails that form the Pemi Loop, with the exception of maybe one stretch between Galehead and Garfield are heavily traveled, especially at that time of year. So even if you decided to go solo, you certainly wouldn't be alone.

Best of luck!!!

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:24 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I was also thinking of trying this sometime but probably in 2 days.
here's some more info. on it but you sound well informed already.

Pemi Loop

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:16 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

I've thought that a Pemi Loop would be fun to do if split up over two days, maybe staying at the Galehead Hut or the Guyot tentsite. I think I'd have to try a Presi traverse before trying a Pemi loop.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:34 am
Sovereign Woodsman

rocksontop.com is now open membership.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:35 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Last edited by HardcoreIdiot on Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:18 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I am definitely not going to join you and I wish you the best of luck both in finding a partner if that's what you wish and in completing your quest. :) I would offer a word of caution, however. The mountain trails here are like few others and what is considered "fast" in other parts of the country may or may not be here. :wink: You might want to keep this in mind when you're calculating your times.

You sound like a sensible guy and I'm not trying to insult or dissuade you.

The reason I mention this is b/c I was researching my potential hikes in Yosemite and was reminded of the difference in trail conditions. I'm not familiar with the trails you listed, but you should know that our trails are not always, er, uhm, user friendly. Hopping over rocks and through root systems, especially after a rain, can be both tricky and tiring. Many have done and many will do the Pemi traverse and it sounds like it's within your will and your ability to do it.

My favorite aunt Hannah always told me: "Forewarned is forearmed."

Best of luck! :wink:

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:55 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Has anyone here actually completed it? I'm curious to know more.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:56 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

If I close my hand and make a fist, I can cover most dayhikes on the map. That being said, I can easily fit my fist INSIDE the Pemi loop, if I hacked up the map I could make a bracelet out of the thing. I'd reserve a bunk at the Galehead hut just in case friend.

This may be the frightened novice in me pooping himself vicariously through your insanity, but if you pull it off you'll read this and feel like one bad mamajamma.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:49 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

We're doing the Loop this weekend, hopefully, in 4 days. I did it 8 years ago so I thought it was about time to revisit

Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:31 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I have done the a Pemi Loop twice (counter clockwise), both times staying at Galehead Hut. They feed you two meals and provide two blankets and a bunk. This lightens your load significantly as I carried only supplies for a day hike plus a change of inner layers. It was about 36 miles total. Both times we bagged Zealand along the way. The only problem is finding water at the half way point each day. That would mean usually descending to Guyot or Liberty Spring Campground which are both .25 mi down hill.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:45 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

My older brother did the pemi in one day when he was 16 with an ingrown toenail. He also had my uncle motivating him. My bro doesn't remember most of it haha.

I hope to do it before it gets too cold.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:56 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Many average speed hikers have completed it as a day hike. Carry a very light pack, jog the flats and downhills, and doing it in 12 hours or less is very doable. The current record is 6 hours 56 minutes!

http://www.rbhayes.net/

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:19 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I did it as overnight. I finished around 1pm second day. It was in October and dark by 630pm and I did a 40ish mile version of the loop though with side trips to Galehead, North Twin, Zealand, and West Bond. I camped first night between South Twin and Guyot going clockwise. I also had to deal with ice coming off Lafayette towards Garfield above treeline and heavier water flow than normal near Garfield hut that made slow going.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:20 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I had the same thoughts as the rest of you! :shock: I want to do a presi traverse first and take it from there!

Allison

http://4000-footers.blogspot.com/

Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next