Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 NH 4000 footers 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

NH 4000 footers
I just visited your NH 4000' page and see your source was the WMG 26th edition as to the listed 4000' elevations. What becomes interesting is that the maps that come with the book have the corrected elevations for the Presis. Mr. Bradford Washburn spent a full 10 years accurately laser surveying the Presis and his map has the more accurate elevations, the same elevations the AMC use on their maps, but not in the book. For example, Mt. Adams is actually 5799', a 25' difference. Btw I am a member of the Four Thousand Footer Club

Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:58 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Let me clarify
At the back of the 26th edition of the WMG on page 501 is the 48 4k' list that was surveyed by the USGS, less accurately, more than 40 years ago. If you look under each mountain name in Section 2, The Northern Peaks and the Great Gulf, starting on page 68, one will find the correct elevations of the Presis.

So Adams is actually 5799', Jefferson 5716', Monroe, 5372', Madison 5366', Eisenhower 4760', Pierce 4312', Wildcat D 4062', Isolation 4003'

Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:05 pm

So Tecumseh and Isolation are now the same height?

There has always been controvery about the methods used to determine the true height of mountains (not just in the Whites) and I'm sure it continues through current publications.
Here is an AMC link (?) with all the heights and some are off as much as 25' compared to page 68 (Adams 5774 vs 5799).
http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/nh-4000-footers.html

In the end, I don't think it's too significant, but I do wish they could be more consistent in publications and maps.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:44 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

The Four Thousand Foot Commitee continues to use the old elevations for the 48 list, as well as Mohamed. Notice that the elevations are corrected on each mountain starting on page 68. Bradford Washburn did spend 10 solid years laser surveying the Presis. Most of today's hikers and authors, like Mike Dickerman and WMG 27th edition co-author Steve Smith use the Washburn elevations. In fact at Smith's Lincoln book and map store http://www.mountainwanderer.com 1.800.745.2707 not only do his book marks have the corrected elevations, the official AMC 4000 Footers t-shirt has the correct elevations too!

Agreed there should be a standard, but the USGS being a goverment agency "must" be correct (not!). And yes, Tecumseh and Isolation are the same height at 4003', as is Field and Osceola 4340'.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]