Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Mt. Washington as a starting point. 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Mt. Washington as a starting point.
Ok, I know the AMC 4000 footers runs on an honor system, and that the individual hiker is left to what is "ethical" in recording your bagging of a peak. But to be honest I dont know about this idea I have, so Im gonna ask you guys what you think.
Here is the idea........
Im thinking of using the Mt. Washington auto road to go to the top (of course I wouldnt count THIS one on the list, it would be climbed completely seperate.) From there Im thinking I can hit the peak of Isolation on one day. Another day I can hit a few of the presidentials off to the east. And on yet another seperate trip hit the Prezzies to the west. Now, I dont know if this is fair because Im starting at the top and not the base of the mountain. BUT I still have to get to the peaks and climb those, so the effort is still there. But with this way I can still get multiple peaks done in a day, and most impotantly I get to spend the most of my time above tree line with the spectacular views. Its not that Im looking to remove effort from this (heck effort will still be neede on some of the tougher 4000frs like Owls Head and Cabot,) just maximize time and energy.
So, do you think they would count, or should I stick to the more "traditional" way of completing these Cuz above all else I want to keep with the "spirit" of what was intended)?
Thanks,
Brian

Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:01 pm

Ethics, politics, and religion are usually 3 things I stay away from discussing especially on a hiking website but I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Hope you're not too disappointed....
No they wouldn't count. There are a few "rules" about the 4000 footers and 1 is that a peak only counts if you start at a trailhead and finish at a trailhead under your own power. You can ski, snowshoe, crampon or any other acceptable devices used for aid but nothing mechanical.
Doing multiple peaks on a single outing is fine unless you're doing the Trailwrights list (this list of the 48 requires a single summit on each trip and no traversing to count another peak....you can go to other peaks, just can't count 'em).

Besides, half the fun of doing it are the looks the people give you at the top of Washington because they think there's something wrong with you!!!
In the end you've earned the views and the sense of accomplishment that none of them will ever know.

I say go for it on a nice day and leave the car at the bottom.
Bill

PS If you haven't hiked for a while or are fairly new, I'd suggest starting out slow and work you're way up until your confortable and confident. Hikes will be posted here, please jump in on one. I might be doing Cabot in a few weeks and will post it here (I read the Readers Trip Report today and it still sounds like a cool hike, just have to drive a little further north than most)

Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:20 pm

Hmmm, well now I know. Im not really disappointed, but I figured Id ask and be sure. Im actually really just planning far in advance. Im probably not even gonna hit Washington this year (Im gonna start slow by doing Moosilauke and Tecumseh, Cannon and maybe a few on the other side of the highway.) I know the first mistake a lot of beginners make is to hit Washington their first trip and they say it nearly kills em. To be honest the Presidentials dont have me worrying too much (well not to the point of not respecting their potential hazards that is.) I know I can day trip singles or even a couple at once, was just seeing about doing a few at once.
Again, Im just thinking far ahead of myself, and currently the one hike thats really got me scratching my head is Bond/Bondcliff/West Bond on a day trip. It seems do-able, but the time crunch seems like I wont be able to do much sightseeing. Id have to be up at like 3 a.m. for the 1 3/4-2 hour drive, hit the peaks within daylight hours with enough time to be back at the trail head with some light to spare (as the AMC guide suggests) then still be able to stay awake for the drive back! As much as I dont want to admit it, I think its gonna have to be a night trip :? .
Anyways, Thanks for the info.
Brian

Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:31 pm

I did say that religion, politics, and ethics were a few things I don't like to discuss.....but philosophy is a different story.
Try not to get too caught up with the lists ...there are dozens.....NE 115, Winter 48, ADK46 etc etc.
Hike for the enjoyment....or the exercise....or the picturesque views...or for whatever reason. The summit and return trip to the car should be the goal, not checking a box on a list.

and yes, I am working on my all season 48, but it's only the byproduct of enjoying myself in the Whites. Besides, most of them I have done already but never bothered to write it on a piece of paper.
I don't want to hit the end of my life and think to myself...."I wish I did this or that"....I want to be there going...."Wahooooo!!!!! that was one sick ride, let's do it again!"

Philospohy 101 is now over.

Enjoy!
Bill

PS The Bonds are incredible. Do them as an overnighter on a multi-day hike (suggestion only, grasshopper :wink: )

Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:38 pm

Pucknuts61 wrote:
(suggestion only, grasshopper :wink: )

I am humbled in thyne presence master :D
Thanks again!
Brian

Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:04 am

More like "Master of nothing, fellow grasshopper to all".

It's one of the best things about this site, we can all learn from each other. Chris and Rob have really helped out in a very friendly and knowledgable method, I'm just returning the favor whenever I can.

and trying to have a little fun along the way.

Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:57 am

Yeah, I guess Ive gotten a little too caught up in it. It might help to get number 1 under the belt first :D . Im planning a few warm up trips for myself and my sister before we start the challenge of the bigger mountains. We are also probabl gonna throw a few trips in dedicated to covered bridges (another obsession Ive kinda taken up.) Ive probably been to the White Mountains 3 or 4 times in my life and I want that to change. Between the 4000frs, general hiking, maybe some fishing and (hopefuly) hunting season I will be getting real up close and personal with the "Big Woods." Just looking at pics from this site, other NH hiking sites and the various books my breath has been taken away and Ive yet to step foot on ANY mountain up there. Its nice to know there is a place like this where folks can share experiences. Im sure Ill be looking for lots of help in the years to caome :wink: .
Brian

Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]