Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Mt Madison in a day up and down in the winter? 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Mt Madison in a day up and down in the winter?
I just did Mt Mansfield and it took me 4.5 hours to the summit. I would like to do Mt Madison but would like to hear from anyone who has done it in the winter if this is an overnight or a one day'er.

Thanks in advance,

-Mike

Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:45 am

Hi MSS,
I did Adams as a dayhike last month. Madison is right beside it and can be done as a winter day hike too.
My suggestion is to start at the Appalachia trailhead off Rt2 and take the Valley Way to the col between Madison and Adams (where the AMC's Madison Hut is located), then then summit from there.
There are several other ways to the summit: Osgood is a long day, the Snyder Brook trail might not be broken, and Airline (the quickest route) was totally ice covered and required us to wear crampons almost to the parking lot (this was our return route).
There were only a couple of stream crossings, and none were serious. Just before treeline, we put on our crampons (I had barebooted it up to that point), and then to the col and broke off towards Adams from there.
Being a slow hiker, we did our loop in about 9 hours. If we did Madison, I would cut 1 to 1 1/2 hours off the trip time.
You'll get a couple of views while on the trail but not many (mostly looking to Madison through the trees), but once you hit timberline, it all becomes worthwhile. The views around the area are incredible, especially all snow and ice covered.
Really a great winter day hike on a sunny day.
Good luck!
Bill (Pucknuts61)

Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:17 pm

Here's a link to some pictures.
There's Adams in winter, with some shots of Madison.
And then I have my summer trip to both Madison and Adams.
Hope these make you want to try it! :D
Bill

http://community.webshots.com/user/pucknuts61

Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:35 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

cool pics
Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm going to give it a try as a daytrip - probably in a couple of weeks. What is the likelihood that trail will be broken you think? Any snow shoe'rs do that hike? Mt Mansfield was COLD. The wind was really blowing at the summit and we heard that it was -20 next door at Stowe. My legs were sore for two days afterward and my Nalgene bottles froze so I only had the smaller one that I put in my jacket but.....it sure was fun! The Summit views were amazing on Sunday - not so good on Saturday. All in all a fun trip.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:39 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

pics Mt Mansfield
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mskog/alb ... 0a&.src=ph

Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:59 pm

Great pictures!!!!

Gotta love those gnarly winter scenes where people ask you things like "Are you crazy?" or "was it cold?"

I would think that Valley Way would be broken, it's one of the most popular ways to get to 2 peaks, but keep in mind the weather. Take the shoes, and if it's well broken, leave them on your pack (always better to have them than to wish you did). Crampons will almost be a definite.

Also, I heard that Boston City Sports had the OR bottle cozies on sale for $3 or 4 bucks, otherwise figure 17 at EMS or REI, but you really need one during those types of days,

Good luck!
Bill

Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:34 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

bottle insulators
oops...just picked one up at EMS - $12 not too bad I guess and it zips closed. I had also tried out the insulated camel back and it lasted longer than my buddies but froze at the summit when we dropped packs and went for it. I would say overall that it's a good purchase for temps above 0 as long as you sip it every 15 minutes. Then...don't leave the insulated drinking tube exposed at the summit like I did!

Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:46 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Went up Valley Way just today. It is indeed broken out, though by the lack of tracks it hasn't been tramped on since the weekend. W/the rain and 57f temp today both snowshoes and 12 pt crampons will be needed on summits for the next several weeks. Also be aware the snow bridges are soft and will collapse soon.

Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:33 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Re: bottle insulators
MSS wrote:
I had also tried out the insulated camel back and it lasted longer than my buddies but froze at the summit when we dropped packs and went for it. I would say overall that it's a good purchase for temps above 0 as long as you sip it every 15 minutes. Then...don't leave the insulated drinking tube exposed at the summit like I did!

I am a mountbiker and we use camelbaks lots in the winter. After ever sip you should blow back into the tube to get the water out of the tube so it will not freeze.

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]