Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Bonds 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Bonds
Hey guys,
Finally got out and did a trip. Unfortunetly it turned out to be the hike from hell. Iv been dieing to do the bonds forever so i decided with this incredible weather to finally get up there. But again, with this weather i wasnt expecting to need snowshoes. We brought those cheap yaktraks just in case of ice but not snowshoes.

We got a late start, hit the trail around 9:30 or so, and took a side trip to franconia falls, and finally making it back to bondcliff trail at about noon. At this point hardley any snow. We started going up bondcliff at a good pace but soon the snow started to get about 8inches to a foot deep. Sinking in started to slow our progress. We kept marching through but eventually it was getting deeper and was really getting tiring. After the final river crossing the trail finally made some attempts to gain some elevation. However at this point the snow was ranging anywhere from 3 to 4 feet deep. Im 6'4 and i was sinking down to my waist in snow with no sight of ground and we were kinda crawling through the upper branches of the trees. We went all this way and didnt want to turn back so we just kept goin through for about a mile and a half of this, and we made it all the way to the final switchback, no more than half a mile from the summit. The clock read 3:40 and we realized we didnt really want to hike out in the dark even with the flat wilderness trail so we finally called it quits. We made our slow decent and got back to the car around 6:15. Major disappointment.

If we left earlier i have no doubts that we could have made it but such is life. Looking back on it, im really suprised how easy that trail really is. I dont think there is one major steep point on that trail, it just kinda goes on forever. O well, def looking forward to that trail in the summer. Was anyone else up north this weekend hiking?

Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:49 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

The mountains are tricky little buggers! :lol:

Looking out at the mountains you see a lot of bare rock right now, but it hides the deep snows that are just waiting to gobble you up. :wink:

My group did a Southern Presidential traverse (well.....almost) Sunday. We went up the Ammo trail, which was a snow filled mess, and got up to the hut to rest. Next it was Monroe (I actually decided to go around despite the very questionable avy potential). Bare rock up high with snow in the shaded areas. Over to Eisenhower was not to bad because of the open exposure. More mud than snow. But once of Eisenhower, and into the col between Ike and Pierce.....yup, more snow hell. By the time we reached the Crawford Path/Webster-Cliff trail below Pierce most of us were spent. Heading down Crawford Path....yup, more deep, wet, mushy snow.....oh, and we had snowshoes at that! So that should give you an idea how crazy it is out there right now!

B.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]