Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Hike recommendations??? 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Hike recommendations???
Hi all!
Yea! First post here!

Could I please ask for any recommendations for a nice ~ two night, two and a half day hike for me and the kids ages 14 and 16.

Skill level low to moderate. (I've done Bondcliff and chocura but these were ages ago). Well equipped. I'm looking for something fairly easy buy scenic with a lake or falls to see, to serve as a positive first overnight hike. They will love it! This would be for this summer in August.

The kids have only car camped til now. VT is fine too, if that's ok to ask on a NH forum. :D :oops:

ANY ideas are appreciated!! Thank you and have a great summer.
C.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:09 am

Re: Hike recommendations???
Hi Chris and welcome!

So much to explore and so many ideas.

I don't know if you can car spot but start up Liberty Springs Trail and crash at the tent site there night one. Visit the summit of Liberty for sunset
Day two is a bit of a hike to Garfield tent site but it's over the Franconia ridge and several summits (Haystack, Lincoln, Lafayette), then out via Garfield Trail day 3.

You could also make either one of he tent sites as a base camp for the two nights and dayhike some of the hills. You could do the same by staying at Nauman tent sites (right next to Mizpah AMC hut)...it would also give you a bit of security. Then hit the Presidentials as a dayhike.
Keep in mind some of the tent sites do charge a fee and most of the areas above timberline do not allow camping except at designated sites.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:04 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

What's nice about the Nauman site is that it's right next to Mizpah - you can buy snacks at the hut and get your water there. On the northern end of the Presidentials the RMC has cabins and tentsites that are first come, first serve. Years ago, Prema (my daughter) and I took Lowe's Path to Gray Knob Cabin. It was not too steep. We spent the next day above treeline on the trails nearby. RMC huts DO NOT provide meals. For a minimal price you have a place to stay. There are privies nearby and a water source (treat all water). If I think of any more ideas I will add them. Welcome and have fun!

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:00 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Ethan Pond Shelter has some pretty cool hiking around it and you'd be "roughing it" with some of the amenities of home. There is also the tent sites at Kinsman Pond, though those require a bit more work to get to (I would suggest you NOT take the Fishin' Jimmy Trail of you choose to go. Ascend from the back side, not Franconia Notch). Of course there are thru-hikers coming along this time of year so you would have company but that makes the stay more interesting for sure.

For true backpacking you could also head up Pierce and overnight in the Oakes Gulf area. Check a map, but the allowable area is just past the jct where you would take a right to get to Pierce's summit. Beautiful in there.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:21 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Those are great recommendations, I will try them myself!!

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:32 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

New to the sport and have a lot of questions. I have my gear but am looking for other newbies to perhaps hike w/and gain knowledge from. I am looking for the hiking equivalent of bunny slopes I guess. Any help is greatly appreciated. I live in Nashua and don't have anyone at my level that I can find.

Thank you very much,

BuBBa

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:19 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Hi, Bubba:

Welcome to the gang! Hale is about as low-key as you can get, but it doesn't have views from the summit. Waumbeck is another easy one (IMHO), and I hear that it now has some views past the summit.

If you don't necessarily want/need a 4K, I think that Willard gives the best bang for the buck in the Whites. But, that might not be enough of a hike to warrant a drive from Nashua! :)

Nex

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]