Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 FOT48 2017 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

FOT48 2017
Not sure how many of the usual suspects will see this here so I'll also try and get in tough with people on Facebook where we all hang out these days. That said, Matt said he will not be making it back from Colorado this year for the event. Sign ups are in a few weeks so since he has the pole we usually use we need to come up with a plan for that, assuming we all still plan to do this. I know some have other people they know who also do the event and maybe they want to join them or whatever. But if we can get a show of hands to see who's interested in making a group and grabbing a peak we can go from there. So...???

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:35 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: FOT48 2017
Not on FB, waste enough time as it is on line (according to Prema). I was wondering about this, since this place sees very little action these days. We probably won't be able to make it, since it's on a Sat and someone else has off, but keep us in mind just in case. Thanks!

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:16 pm

Yeah the gangs all there. I held out as long as I could but had to give in eventually. It's not much for discussions or trip reports, but lots of dedicated pages for the 4Ks, redlining, 52WAV, Maine hiking, Belknaps...you get the idea. Dingo runs the 52 page. Joe runs a guessing game page. Decent trip reports are virtually non existent but lots of pretty pictures. I really liked this place better but it is what it is I guess.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:43 am
Sovereign Woodsman

While I'm bummed I can't make the event this year, I hope to see a Hike-NH style group continue. I'll do my best to fly a flag from a 14er or something similar out here that day.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Don't sell the farm, but I may join you guys. And I have all the stuff. My Matt can't make it either. :wink: I always pick a peak he needs for his 48. I was thinking of taking the year off but who knows. But, and it's a big butt. :P I will not do a peak that's well above treeline. I like the cause but have no desire to be caught high above cover should unexpected weather move in.

We need to get Kris on-board on FB. I was along time hold out as well. Had an account for years but only used it to look at albums. I believe it was KelleyK that that started sharing her hiking pics in FB albums. Then finally caved.

So if you read this Kris, set up an FB account. :) You'd like the guessing game thing I set up. :D

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:06 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I'm interested and I have my flag as well. Maybe someone could meet up with Matt before the hike to borrow the flag pole (if needed)? I'd also prefer to stay below treeline (or close to it). I've been dealing with foot/leg issues and haven't been on a serious hike in ~10 months. Things have been improving and I've done a few short hikes... I'll start working up to 3k and 4k peaks in the next month so I should be fine in September. Anyway, I'd say if we can get 6+ people interested then we should try to grab our own peak as we have in the past, otherwise maybe just hitch on with some other group.

You dang whippersnappers and your Facebook, get off my lawn :wink: I'm still holding out, I'm hoping to be the last person in the world without an account and Zuckerberg will have to pay me a million dollars to achieve global domination. Although, I do miss the guessing games. Joe, you'll be the first person I contact when I finally cave.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:47 am

krpayer wrote:

You dang whippersnappers and your Facebook, get off my lawn :wink: I'm still holding out, I'm hoping to be the last person in the world without an account and Zuckerberg will have to pay me a million dollars to achieve global domination. Although, I do miss the guessing games. Joe, you'll be the first person I contact when I finally cave.

You don't have to get into to it huge. Like having hundreds of friends. I've got under 40. Family, friends, and some folks from here. That's it. There are some good hiking FB (still not sure what you call them) sites, pages, groups. For instance...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewHamp ... edHighest/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nh52wav/

See, not all that bad. 8)

Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:01 pm

Maybe some sort of a hybrid group will work well this year. I'm open to all options and love participating in the event, and if we get a group together I don't need anything above treeline. I'd actually love to get on of the Tripyramids or Passaconaway (the 4ks it's been the longest since my last visit) but will go anywhere when it comes down to it.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:19 am
Sovereign Woodsman

krpayer wrote:
I'm interested and I have my flag as well. Maybe someone could meet up with Matt before the hike to borrow the flag pole (if needed)?

I'll be out East at the end of this month dealing with some things at the old office (before the lease expires). I'll be happy to donate the flag pole to someone from our group to continue using it. I was planning to head to the Whites for a few days while I'm out that way, so could easily meet up with someone.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:46 pm

I'd be happy to meet up and get the pole (happy to hike also if our scedules work out) to keep the groups traditional pole in use. Its a work of art, and I plan to do the event every year.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:42 pm

Just an FYI for anyone who may see this. Matt didn't have time to transfer possession of the pole this week so unless he thinks of another way to get it to us the group currently has no pole. If a hybrid group doesn't form we either need to get/make a poll or probably not take a peak. I'd still like to but don't want to take one and have no set-up when the time comes. Any thoughts on this?

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:03 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I'd hate to see the end of an era with this. How much are those poles (yes, I could look it up, but it's way past my bedtime :lol: )? Even though we probably can't go, if they're not too pricey I could help a little.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:36 pm

I don't think they're too pricey. I just don't know if anyone is still interested in going. Sign ups are Monday. Guess I'll have to try some email and facebook messages to figure this out.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:00 pm

I am going to try for Tom since another guy that's been helping me for years still needs Tom for his 48. Maybe we can do a Hike-NH 2-fer Tom/Field?

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:52 pm

I would be fine with Field. At the moment B&P, Peter and Matt are out I think, and Kris is a maybe. Still waiting to hear from Spencer and Ian from the regular group. I there's no group I may just visit others. The only peak I'd feel good about hogging to myself with a smaller flag would. be Owls Head.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next