Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Monitor article: Why Are NH hiking trails so hard? 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Monitor article: Why Are NH hiking trails so hard?
This forum might enjoy this story in today's Concord Monitor, responding to a U-L letter to the editor that said our hiking trails need to be smoothed out and have more stairs.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/hiking-trails-different-10678529

Quote:
The next time you find yourself cursing as you stumble and sweat up a steep, rocky trail in New Hampshire, like the out-of-state hiker whose angry letter in a Granite State newspaper has created something of an online frenzy, here’s one target for your wrath: Horses.

Or, rather, lack of horses.

(I wrote the article, incidentally. My apologies for being one of those people who use groups to goose their own online traffic!)

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:48 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Re: Monitor article: Why Are NH hiking trails so hard?
FWIW - I posted this on the comments section of the CM - "As for the grade of the PCT - it's my understanding the legislation which authorized the PCT specified that, where possible/feasible, that the grade not exceed 5%, not the 15% as stated in the Concord Monitor article."

In reality, a 15% grade would be VERY steep. If you're not a hiker, seek a highway where there are signs posted for truckers that the grade is 6%. Get out of your vehicle, walk uphill for a couple of hundred yards, and then imagine what the grade would be like if it said 10%. Or 15%.

Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:57 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

NO APOLOGIES NECESSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy SOMEONE (and thank you too, Kevin) is posting. I don't mind seeing this place slow, but I don't want to see it gone (if we figure out posting photos, we'll put up illustrated reports).

This was such a funny story! It started with the lady's letter to the Union Leader, which produced lots of entertaining remarks in the comments section. And then your article, as well. I was tempted to post that there is a place with steps and an iron railing only half an hour or so from Mt. Jackson. It is a beautiful section of the AT, will bring you past numerous cascades and end on the broad, expansive summit of Mousilauke --- Beaver Brook Trail!

Good choice of the Bridal Path photo in your article.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:59 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Argh! - I mistyped the quote - the PCT grade is, indeed, rarely about 5 percent (not 15 percent) as the comment above pointed out. The error is mine; I've fixed it online.

Dave Brooks

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:08 am

I saw this on Views and Tim's recent update and really thought it was genuine but a lot of useless complaining from a vacationer. Guess what, our roads are different too! Maybe lessons from the New England history for everything from hiking trails to roads showed other states what not to do. I dunno, just my thought. Never saw a rotary in CA like we have around here. Lesson learned? Anyone that comes here usually complains about these unique roadways so now they complain about our trails. ! I love the fact that we do have such variations, I find it uniquely New England. If all the trails were the same and graded etc, what's the fun? Every hike will become nothing more than road walks. We're a hearty group and most have been in the hills for years enjoying the vast diversity. Next thing will be the weather. "Oh it's too cold in NE in the winter, can you please warm it up so we can enjoy our vacation!". Off the soap box...to enjoy the trails.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:18 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

DWBnh wrote:
Argh! - I mistyped the quote - the PCT grade is, indeed, rarely about 5 percent (not 15 percent) as the comment above pointed out. The error is mine; I've fixed it online.

Dave Brooks

Excellent - thanks.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:49 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Pucknuts61 wrote:
Next thing will be the weather. "Oh it's too cold in NE in the winter, can you please warm it up so we can enjoy our vacation!".

We're working on it :shock: :(

Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]