Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Bondcliff Trail to Lincoln Woods overnight 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Bondcliff Trail to Lincoln Woods overnight
Hi,
We need to camp somewhere after summiting Bond and Lincoln Woods. I know there are rules, which we will follow...should we be able to find locations to camp?
Thanks!

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:07 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Bondcliff Trail to Lincoln Woods overnight
The only regulations you should have to worry about are to be 1/4 mile from the river on Lincoln Woods. Once you're past the Franconia Brook I don't think there are any regulations or restrictions you need to worry about until you're at treeline. So just find a nice little spot and make yourself at home. Shouldn't be hard in winter, just stamp out a little yard in the snow off trail and set up shop.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:50 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

We will actually be on Bondcliff Trail after a Bondcliff summit, along Black Brook and will probably want to set up asap, might be kind of tired :) ... wondering where the first good spot might be... ?

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Once you're down below the scramble there are a few switchbacks and then the trail gets really moderate for a few miles before becoming virtually flat for another few. By the time you're a mile or so off the summit it should be really easy to make a spot just about anywhere.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:46 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

The Pemigewasset Wilderness has a blanket restriction on camping within 200 feet of any trail. This is either aggressively enforced or not enforced at all. There are many illegal spots on the Bondcliff trail south of the cliffs, the first I think is an old logging road that would head off behind your right shoulder if descending, but clearly posted no camping. Below the Black Brook crossings are a few big spots. Legal spots? A few areas up high like around that first logging road would be easy with hammocks I think. Maybe not with tents.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:33 pm

Oh right, I forgot about that in the Pemi. :oops: It's the Sandwich Wilderness you can put a rent down in the middle of the trail if you feel like being a jerk. Glad Walrus corrected it.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:06 am
Sovereign Woodsman

An example of not enforced at all would be the Frank Lloyd Wright style set up we saw while descending after dark a couple summers ago. There is a spot familiar to most where the trail crosses a mini-waterfall; I'm sure many of you can imagine where it is. There was a large tent partways on the trail and it was one of those new ones that have their own lights. It reminded me of the famous "Waterfall House."

As to not let this drift, back to the main subject. I've heard that sometimes the Lincoln Woods rangers will suggest where to find a legal spot.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:05 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

How did you overnight adventure go?

Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]