Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

 

 

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

       
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:48 am



Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 New Bushwhack Regs?? 
Author Message
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:35 pm
Posts: 2754
Location: south of the notches
Reply with quote
 New Bushwhack Regs??
Saw this on NewEnglandTrailConditions from a guy who was hiking Isolation last night:

"...the leader [of an AMC group] informed me that new regulations require whacks to stay within 1/10th mile of an established trail."

Wait. What?? Am I the only one (besides the OP) that this is news to?

_________________
Life is a trip ~ pack accordingly


Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:11 pm
Profile
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:52 pm
Posts: 4700
Location: Goffstown Avatar:I love you, you love me!
Reply with quote
 Re: New Bushwhack Regs??
If it was an AMC group maybe....maybe...it was a new "regulation" the AMC is imposing on it's "officially led" hikes? I have never heard of any new regulation along that line from official sources like USFS (and believe me, with my connections in the 'whacking community, I WOULD have heard of this before now.) Even if it were a USFS thing, I would not even begin to guess how they could enforce it. Let me put this out to some contacts in the 'whacking community and see what I can turn up.

Brian


Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:20 pm
Profile
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:40 pm
Posts: 184
Location: Brutasaur on Franconia Ridge
Reply with quote
 Re: New Bushwhack Regs??
It only applies to AMC-lead hikes in designated wilderness zones. Practically speaking, there are only 2 4K peaks affected, Isolation and Owls Heads. AMC-lead hikes, lead by chapter volunteers, or by AMC-Boston with paid leaders, are required to stay on trails in designated wilderness areas. Therefore - an AMC-lead hike can do Isolation using the trails, but not using the shortcut bushwhack across Engine Hill (which doesn't really save any time, but does avoid 3 brook crossings).

It's not a new USFS requirement. Rather, they're enforcing an existing one.


Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:27 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:35 pm
Posts: 2754
Location: south of the notches
Reply with quote
 Re: New Bushwhack Regs??
Yeah. I knew the EHBW on Iso didn't save time but did save some of the river crossings. For that matter, though I have yet to get there (B-Ryan, I'm lookin' at you!) I understand the Black Pond Bushwhack doesn't save much time either.

OK. Seemed weird to me. Got it.

_________________
Life is a trip ~ pack accordingly


Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:31 pm
Profile
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:40 pm
Posts: 184
Location: Brutasaur on Franconia Ridge
Reply with quote
 Re: New Bushwhack Regs??
Kathy wrote:
... I understand the Black Pond Bushwhack doesn't save much time either.


In my experience, people don't use the Black Pond route to save time so much as to avoid two major river crossings. Certainly that's the reason I use it when doing Owls Head.


Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:37 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:35 pm
Posts: 2754
Location: south of the notches
Reply with quote
 Re: New Bushwhack Regs??
Kevin Rooney wrote:
Kathy wrote:
... I understand the Black Pond Bushwhack doesn't save much time either.


In my experience, people don't use the Black Pond route to save time so much as to avoid two major river crossings. Certainly that's the reason I use it when doing Owls Head.

My point exactly about the Engine Hill Bushwhack for ISO

_________________
Life is a trip ~ pack accordingly


Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:06 pm
Profile
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:49 pm
Posts: 141
Reply with quote
 Re: New Bushwhack Regs??
Kathy wrote:
Saw this on NewEnglandTrailConditions from a guy who was hiking Isolation last night:

"...the leader [of an AMC group] informed me that new regulations require whacks to stay within 1/10th mile of an established trail."

Wait. What?? Am I the only one (besides the OP) that this is news to?


I'd argue that this is not bushwhacking at all. It's following a trail. Keeping the trail off to your left a few hundred yards, does not a bushwhack make. You could maintain a conversation with people on trail. ;)

Happy 2017 to the Hike-NH crew.


Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:02 am
Profile
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:40 pm
Posts: 184
Location: Brutasaur on Franconia Ridge
Reply with quote
 Re: New Bushwhack Regs??
Raven wrote:
Kathy wrote:
Saw this on NewEnglandTrailConditions from a guy who was hiking Isolation last night:

"...the leader [of an AMC group] informed me that new regulations require whacks to stay within 1/10th mile of an established trail."

Wait. What?? Am I the only one (besides the OP) that this is news to?


I'd argue that this is not bushwhacking at all. It's following a trail. Keeping the trail off to your left a few hundred yards, does not a bushwhack make. You could maintain a conversation with people on trail. ;)

Happy 2017 to the Hike-NH crew.

You're right. It's not about bushwhacking. The WMNF has a Wilderness Management Plan. See Appendix E for specifics on where a group, lead by what the USFS defines as outfitters, can go. The distance off-trail is not expressed in miles; rather in feet. The USFS typically reviews such plans about every 10 years.


Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:39 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Hike-NH.com based on STSoftware.