Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Potential Hotel to be built ON Mt. Washington????? 
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Potential Hotel to be built ON Mt. Washington?????
This will be something - is the land the cog rail way on privately owned?

http://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2016/12/02/mount-washington-rail-owners-want-to-build-hotel-near-summit

Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:25 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Potential Hotel to be built ON Mt. Washington?????
The land is privately owned. I read they have a 99 foot wide corridor that they still own all the way up because the state wouldn't buy it from them. Another article said they want to do it where the AT crosses the tracks. It would seem like the AT would have some protections and setbacks from development of it's own, being part of the National Park System and all, but maybe not. Even if so they'd probably just move it far enough up or down to meet the regulations. A mile below the summit puts it more like where the Westside trail crosses the tracks.

Personally since it's in the area of my favorite view in the Whites I'd hate to see it happen, but I don't see how anyone can stop them. What's the forest service and state going to tell them?? We're fine with the AMC building huts for hundreds of people all over the whites, and developing ski resorts and hotels all over the forest, and putting in the huge Sherman Adams building on the land we bought from you, but your little 35 room hotel is just not acceptable?? Maybe since you can't pitch a tent above treeline you also can't build a hotel. Cross your fingers. :roll: :(

Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:46 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

The silver lining is when in old enough not to hike I'll still be able to enjoy sitting in a hot tub overlooking the areas I've tramped with a brew in one hand, my wife in the other, over a sweet sunset. If it's to be anywhere I'd rather it be here. The place has a history of tourism and hotels. If you are looking for solitude this isn't the place anyway.

Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:29 pm

I still don't want it built, but the threads in other places, petitions and such make the hiking community as a whole sound like such a bunch of pretentious, holier than thou jackasses I almost hope they build it just to make them whine and cry some more. They think the mountain(s) is/are only theirs and only for people who in their view "earned" it and their summit shot by the sign by hiking up. It's OK for them to be there but not others who might not be able to experience the world above treeline any other way than by car or train. Get over yourselves!! And while you're at it here's a novel idea, maybe go hike somewhere other than the 48, hotel or no hotel, if crowds and overuse bother you much as much as you claim. Otherwise you're just part of the problem. :roll:

Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:26 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I hate it when you sugar coat things G^2. HA! Hard to know what you really think sometimes. :wink:

Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:16 pm

Sadly I think there's no danger or scaring off anyone by being a bit less on the sweet side, since there's hardly anybody left to scare off. :(

Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:25 pm

The first time I hiked Washington I was appalled by all the junk up there. But as the years have gone by I barely even notice it and it does not change my opinion of hiking that mountain at all. So as big as it may be , I can't see myself being upset at all about a hotel there. As a matter of fact I will probably stay there at least once. Probably get a much better night sleep and much more comforts then the overpriced AMC huts there are out there.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:23 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I was surprised to learn the Cog owned a swath of land as far up the mountain as they apparently do. Several years ago when they ran a "Snow Train" for back-country skiers, the word was they couldn't get permission from the USFS to run a train all the way to the top, so they went up about 1/2 way to what I think is called the Waumbek Station. Have no idea whether that was accurate or not, however. The Cog only ran the train for a few years.

It will be interesting to see how it all turns out. Was surprised to see how many people signed the petition against the idea within a couple of days. Apparently about 500 has signed a counter petition thus far.

What I find remarkable is the 180 degree shift in attitude between the Cog and the hiking community in general. It used to be highly adversarial. Presby's done a great job turning that around. Now, the hiking community has its own parking lot with flowers, a walkway up the hill, and plowing in the winter. Life is good.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:25 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I can't get too upset over this proposal, either. Washington, as majestic as it still is, already has development on it. I first experienced a 4K summit as a kid in the family car on the Auto Road, and I'm not sure I'd be hiking in the Whites today if not for that experience. So, in fairness, I don't think I can complain.

Now, if they want to put a hotel on Adams or one of the other unspoiled peaks, I'll definitely complain!

Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:39 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

I hope the hotel doesn't get constructed.

Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]