Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hike Up, Ski Down 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Hike Up, Ski Down
Hello,

I was looking for trail names of trails I can hike up and then ski down the adjacent ski resort? I know of Mt tecumseh and then skiing down Waterville valley. Any other good ones?

Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:50 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Hike Up, Ski Down
I'm pretty sure you can do this at wild cat. You'd need to buy a pass though. Canon would be another option. If got up their respective websites and or give them a ring to be sure. Otherwise mousilauke is pretty popular with the Dartmouth outing club to ski about on.

Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:04 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Cannon on the KRT, Cranmore and Gunstock in NH. Killington has some hiking trails you could use as does Pico. Sugarloaf and Saddleback in Maine allow hiking up deesignated trails but link Wildcat there a small fee to do so, although I'm not even sure Saddleback is going to open this year with the sale of the resort. Those are the ones I can think of where you can hike up and ski down right from the parking lot. For backcountry you can use the Shebrrnne ski trail on Mt Washing ton to ski down from Tuckermans and the Adirondacks have a lot of ski trails like that. You can hike up Mt Marcy and ski right down.

With a short roadwalk there's others like Mansfield and Sunnapee. And with a friend or car spot there's a lot more. Most of the ski mountains have hiking trails. Just not always starting in the parking lot.

All that said they may not want you to use their trails like that for liability and other reasons, so maybe check with them ahead of time.

Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:07 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Hi, welcome aboard and have fun!

Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:50 pm
Master Mountaineer

Pico in VT is a good one - the Shelburne Pass Trail is maybe a half-mile walk from the bottom of the mountain. If you don't want to go all the way to the top, the trail hits a really good slope at about 2 miles.

Wachusett in Mass has WONDERFUL hiking trails in the winter, and 2 or 3 of them are accessible from the ski area.

Finally, Mt Watatic on the NH/MA border. It was an old ski area, and the slopes are still there. You can hike up trails to the top, or walk the old access road. I always see skiers there after a good snowfall.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:35 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Acsutney in Vermont is also a recently defunct ski area. Lots of different hiking trails and I'm pretty sure it's out of business for good and has been for 5 years or so, so with enough natural snow it could still have a lot of good skiing left on it before the brush grows in.

Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]