Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Presidential Traverse in May question 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Presidential Traverse in May question
Hi,

I am from the midwest but have spent time in the white mountains in the past. A friend and myself have some time to go back in May 2017. We would like to do the presidential traverse in two days. Since the huts aren't open yet, are there any realistic camping options for us that time of year? If not then I guess the only other option is a 1 day hike. Thanks!

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:17 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Presidential Traverse in May question
If you use Valley Way there are tent sites about 3 miles from the parking area and close to the Madison Springs hut. There is also the Nauman tent site at the other end near Mizpah hut. Depending on whether you go N-S or S-N either could make a good overnight option to get a few miles and few thousand feet of elevation behind you but you'll have a long second day. Or you can do most of the work on day 1 and spend the night at either leaving you an easy exit on day 2.

Depending on the type of winter we have it's not inconceivable that you could find somewhere halfway through, like Sphinx Col, where there is still the required 2 feet of snow to legally put a tent down above treeline but I wouldn't plan on it this far out. Check trail conditions right before you go and you might get lucky with that. And be prepared for lingering ice and monorail trails in May, especially early in the month. Good luck!

Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:37 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

That is great information, thank you!

Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:46 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

And, FWIW - you may be experienced snow travelers, but ... it's likely that you'll encounter snow as you climb to treeline, often for the last couple of miles, well thru May and into June. Once above treeline, most of the snow will have melted off the the trails, however. Probably can get by without snowshoes, but might well need microspikes below treeline.

If you post a question here about a week or so before your trip, we'll be happy to tell you what to expect. You can also stay posted by monitoring trail conditions here - http://www.netrailconditions.com/nh/

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:05 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Kevin Rooney wrote:
And, FWIW - you may be experienced snow travelers, but ... it's likely that you'll encounter snow as you climb to treeline, often for the last couple of miles, well thru May and into June. Once above treeline, most of the snow will have melted off the the trails, however. Probably can get by without snowshoes, but might well need microspikes below treeline.

If you post a question here about a week or so before your trip, we'll be happy to tell you what to expect. You can also stay posted by monitoring trail conditions here - http://www.netrailconditions.com/nh/

Excellent thank you.

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]