Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Hike-NH New England Views list. 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Re: The Hike-NH New England Views list.
neexpatriate wrote:
If you can somehow get the total up to 144, it could be the "NH Gross Hikes". Nah, that doesn't have a nice ring to it, does it? :)

Or if we can bring it to 2000 we can call it the Hike-NH Ton of Views list, which has a better ring to it, but probably impossible to pull off. :lol:

Brian

Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:51 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

New Hampshire wrote:
neexpatriate wrote:
If you can somehow get the total up to 144, it could be the "NH Gross Hikes". Nah, that doesn't have a nice ring to it, does it? :)

Or if we can bring it to 2000 we can call it the Hike-NH Ton of Views list, which has a better ring to it, but probably impossible to pull off. :lol:

Brian

I can find two or three dozen more in Acadia easily enough to help out the cause. Or we could add in NY and make it the HNH-Northeast list. :D

But on the list as is Vermont is my weak spot. And overall I'm only at 64. So lots of good stuff to look forward to for me also!

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:31 am
Sovereign Woodsman

neexpatriate wrote:

neexpatriate wrote:

That's better than Gross NH Hikes. Though, you know, with THAT name we might have more of the trails to ourselves. :lol:

Impressed that you folks have already figured out where you stand on this list. I have been dealing with a crazy schedule but I suspect my #s are something like 4/127. Looks like I'll have to quit my job and start hikin'

Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:20 pm

Kathy wrote:
Impressed that you folks have already figured out where you stand on this list. I have been dealing with a crazy schedule but I suspect my #s are something like 4/127. Looks like I'll have to quit my job and start hikin'

No need to quit the job, I think you hike more than most of us, you just need to look at a different list and hike somewhere other than, well, you know where. :wink:

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:07 pm

Good news. Greg told me he started to format the list onto Peakbagger.com. He said he would work for peanuts....preferably made into butter and served in candy bar form. But still peanuts. :D

Still need to work on the intro and FAQ section. Then at some point we will be all pro-feshunal like. :D

Brian

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:09 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
Kathy wrote:

No need to quit the job, I think you hike more than most of us, you just need to look at a different list and hike somewhere other than, well, you know where. :wink:

Thought of you today GG as we set out initially for a 4K that a friend needs. At the last minute she had to tap out so we found ourselves driving north with no plan. Hmmmmm.....what's a hiker to do??? Why look at the Hike=NH 5-cubed-plus-2 list of course.

Yes. You read that right. I hiked today. NOT a 4K. NOT an AMC hike...but one from "our" list. Didn't make the summit by about 200 feet. Ran out of gas (on an 8 week carb-free diet. Ugh!) BUT an excellent day in the woods with excellent company and pretty awesome views despite not hitting the high point. TR to follow.

Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:22 pm

Really nice job Brian, thank you!

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:04 pm

Pucknuts61 wrote:
Really nice job Brian, thank you!

No thanks needed to me. All the credit goes to us as a group. There is no way just one of us alone could make this what it was, and it was a fun experience seeing how it wound up coming out. 8)

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:14 pm

OK, I edited the initial post to add in an FAQ section at the bottom. Check it out and tell me if there is anything I should add or change. 8)

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:38 pm

Kathy wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
Kathy wrote:

Thought of you today GG as we set out initially for a 4K that a friend needs. At the last minute she had to tap out so we found ourselves driving north with no plan. Hmmmmm.....what's a hiker to do??? Why look at the Hike=NH 5-cubed-plus-2 list of course.

Yes. You read that right. I hiked today. NOT a 4K. NOT an AMC hike...but one from "our" list. Didn't make the summit by about 200 feet. Ran out of gas (on an 8 week carb-free diet. Ugh!) BUT an excellent day in the woods with excellent company and pretty awesome views despite not hitting the high point. TR to follow.

:shock: Well I'm proud of you for trying! :wink: Can't wait to hear the details. Next thing you know you'll be headed for Maine! :lol:

Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:11 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

New Hampshire wrote:
Good news. Greg told me he started to format the list onto Peakbagger.com.

Awesome. I'm a visual person so seeing all the pins on a map will be great (even if I hardly use Peakbagger.com these days). You guys rock.

Now I need to count mine up... I suspect it is in the 30s or 40s, but a good many of these are on my never-ending to-do list (and the rest are now thanks to everyone here!)

EDIT: OK, I counted. I think I am at 35, plus 1 via the non-suggested route (Sandwich, but haven't done Algonquin yet). 25+1 NH, 6 ME, 3 VT, 1 MA.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:01 pm

What would anyone think about actually requiring you get a view from each hike, since this is a "views" list? Like the winter lists requiring it be started and finished in winter, we can require you hike these when there are views. Nothing makes me do the following more than seeng someone waste a great view hike simply for the sake of peakbagging. The each their own, but to me hiking view hikes in soup totally misses the point.

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:29 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I don't think it really matters. To me, the point of the list is to give people a wide selection of hikes which will reward them with views. Since there is no patch/scroll, the only "reward" for hiking the list is the views themselves. Basically, like providing a list of the best burger joints in New England... if you don't eat the burgers then that's your loss, no one cares if you've visited all the best burger joints.

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:51 am
Sovereign Woodsman

krpayer wrote:
I don't think it really matters. To me, the point of the list is to give people a wide selection of hikes which will reward them with views. Since there is no patch/scroll, the only "reward" for hiking the list is the views themselves. Basically, like providing a list of the best burger joints in New England... if you don't eat the burgers then that's your loss, no one cares if you've visited all the best burger joints.

OK. At the beginning of this entry, I was with G-to-the-power-of-two. But you had me at the burger joint analogy. HA HA.

I, along with G^2 though, would wonder why one would do a views hike with no view. Just as I would wonder why someone such as myself who does not eat burgers would want to visit those establishments. Unless its for the milk shakes. But then I don't drink milk either so.........

Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2