[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - AMC Awards Night

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 AMC Awards Night 
Sovereign Woodsman

AMC Awards Night
I know quite a few people here have been to the AMC awards night in the past, and there are still people here working on the various lists or waiting to turn them in. I also believe there is a follow up survey that gets sent out to the people in attendance (that receive said awards) but my question for my fellow hikers here, is this: what would you like to see at an awards ceremony? I know this is a broad question so feel free to ask for clarification. Me personally, I would like to see monkeys, but what would you expect or want? Just curious as to what responses there will be (but please make them somewhat serious *looking at you Brian*).

Greg

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:54 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Re: AMC Awards Night

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:02 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Consider reversing the order in which the awards are given, so that the first to be recognized are those who have completed the most difficult lists. So, the first would be Winter 111er's, then 111er's, then Winter NEHH, then NEHH, etc. The number of these recipients is relatively small, so it would have a minimal impact on all those who completed the shortest list, the NH 4's.

The above was the way it was done many years ago when when I rec'd my NH4's patch, and like most, I was in awe - and then all fired up - by those who'd completed these complex lists which I'd never heard of.

As it stands now, by the time these awards/patches are handed out, people are tired, clapped out, many have left, etc.

And thanks for asking for input. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone on the 4K Committee actually ask for suggestions.

Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:58 am

OK, OK, now that I had my fun I will put my serious game face on.....

So I had a thought today that may not be 100% conceivable, but it is an idea since now the committee offers a patch involving trail maintenance. Bear with me a second.

So in the adopt a trail program your 10 year anniversary is a big deal. At the adopters BBQ in September at Camp Dodge if anyone makes their 10 year anniversary they are given a "10 year adopter" vest. Now, generally the only people who ever hear of this are other adopters since the BBQ is only for adopters themselves. So I was thinking, maybe the 4K committee can kind of keep tabs with the AMC in Boston (since they are the ones who run the adoption program) and if any 10 year adopters pop up for that year you guys can give a sort of honorable mention at the ceremony. And since you invite the USFS to come in and set up shop at the ceremony maybe see if they want to participate in the 10 year honoring deal. I see this could potentially drum up a little interest for prospective adopters as well as give the actual 10 year adopters a bit more exposure than just the adopter BBQ, not to mention it would fit in perfectly with the 4 season patch.

Brian

Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:19 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I'd like to see an announcement that they're not going to build that silly hut :roll: :wink:

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:26 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:37 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:39 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:40 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I bailed this year before the actual awards started but from what I heard it went pretty well. I'd say just leave things be unless they can come up with more time saving ideas, that doesn't cheat anyone of their moment in the spotlight.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:54 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:10 pm

I've only been twice. I might go more if they gave an award for the person with the shortest trip there! :D The only thing I might change would be to ask the crowd to hold the applause until the end of each round. That would really speed things up. If you wanted to have say the 12 and under crowd (or whatever) called first and let them get individual applause that might be nice, but does every able bodied Tom, Dick and Harry really need to get applauded, hooted and hollered at individually like they just finished the 8000 meter peaks?

Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:13 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:10 pm

I agree they should all get the recognition they deserve with the name called and scroll recieved and a handshake or whatever, but when I was there it was just a couple people for most of the 300 people called. I get that it's a bigger deal to some than others, and I guess if people are their to get the moment in the sun and applause from a couple friends, parents or whatever they came with rather than just the recognition and a big well done to all applause at the end so be it. Almost all the other awards I have been to ask the applause to be held until the end if they want to speed things up. As the number of finishers continue to grow the one complaint I have heard is how long it takes, and as the night drags on later and later people filter out by the end. But if there's no interest in significantly speeding things up so be it. Maybe start it earlier in the day then, or do the awards first and then dinner?? Really it's done nicely, it just takes too long for many to stick it out to the end is about the only complaint I ever here.

Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:13 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:24 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I didn't go this year, but I do know the year they changed to the 2-at-once format made a huge difference on length. The year before it dragged on until nearly 10PM which was ridiculous, and almost everyone left by the time the "crazy" awards got called (winter lists, 111, you guys know what I mean), which was a major shame. The change didn't impact anyone's time in the spotlight, but did nearly halve the length and meant there were far more people still there at the end for the other lists. Let everyone get their individual recognition, but anything that can continue to shorten as the number attending each year grows can only be a good thing.

That, or start towing the people parking 1/2 mile from OBP to start up to the ridge with the 2000 others. When the lot is full, move on. Yes, that's a different discussion.

My Trip Reports:

Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next