Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

 

 

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

       
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:58 am



Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 AMC Awards Night 
Author Message
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:11 pm
Posts: 2515
Location: In your underwear drawer
Reply with quote
 AMC Awards Night
I know quite a few people here have been to the AMC awards night in the past, and there are still people here working on the various lists or waiting to turn them in. I also believe there is a follow up survey that gets sent out to the people in attendance (that receive said awards) but my question for my fellow hikers here, is this: what would you like to see at an awards ceremony? I know this is a broad question so feel free to ask for clarification. Me personally, I would like to see monkeys, but what would you expect or want? Just curious as to what responses there will be (but please make them somewhat serious *looking at you Brian*).


Greg

_________________
http://hchikingnh.blogspot.com/


Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:54 pm
Profile
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:52 pm
Posts: 4700
Location: Goffstown Avatar:I love you, you love me!
Reply with quote
 Re: AMC Awards Night
HardcoreIdiot wrote:
(but please make them somewhat serious *looking at you Brian*).


Greg


What, you mean "you wearing a viking helmet as you hand out awards" is not serious? :lol:

Brian

P.S. Hey, I second the monkey idea. That would be totally cool....and would speed things along quicker if you train a half dozen of them to deliver the awards to people's seats. See. See. I AM good for something you know! :P


Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:02 pm
Profile
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:40 pm
Posts: 184
Location: Brutasaur on Franconia Ridge
Reply with quote
 Re: AMC Awards Night
Consider reversing the order in which the awards are given, so that the first to be recognized are those who have completed the most difficult lists. So, the first would be Winter 111er's, then 111er's, then Winter NEHH, then NEHH, etc. The number of these recipients is relatively small, so it would have a minimal impact on all those who completed the shortest list, the NH 4's.

The above was the way it was done many years ago when when I rec'd my NH4's patch, and like most, I was in awe - and then all fired up - by those who'd completed these complex lists which I'd never heard of.

As it stands now, by the time these awards/patches are handed out, people are tired, clapped out, many have left, etc.

And thanks for asking for input. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone on the 4K Committee actually ask for suggestions.


Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:58 am
Profile
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:52 pm
Posts: 4700
Location: Goffstown Avatar:I love you, you love me!
Reply with quote
 Re: AMC Awards Night
OK, OK, now that I had my fun I will put my serious game face on.....

So I had a thought today that may not be 100% conceivable, but it is an idea since now the committee offers a patch involving trail maintenance. Bear with me a second.

So in the adopt a trail program your 10 year anniversary is a big deal. At the adopters BBQ in September at Camp Dodge if anyone makes their 10 year anniversary they are given a "10 year adopter" vest. Now, generally the only people who ever hear of this are other adopters since the BBQ is only for adopters themselves. So I was thinking, maybe the 4K committee can kind of keep tabs with the AMC in Boston (since they are the ones who run the adoption program) and if any 10 year adopters pop up for that year you guys can give a sort of honorable mention at the ceremony. And since you invite the USFS to come in and set up shop at the ceremony maybe see if they want to participate in the 10 year honoring deal. I see this could potentially drum up a little interest for prospective adopters as well as give the actual 10 year adopters a bit more exposure than just the adopter BBQ, not to mention it would fit in perfectly with the 4 season patch.

Brian


Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:19 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:40 pm
Posts: 1144
Location: Earth
Reply with quote
 Re: AMC Awards Night
I'd like to see an announcement that they're not going to build that silly hut :roll: :wink:

_________________
NH4K: 48/48 (Completed 10/4/2014)
NE67: 67/67 (Completed 7/25/2016)
NE115: 74/115
NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100


Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:26 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:11 pm
Posts: 2515
Location: In your underwear drawer
Reply with quote
 Re: AMC Awards Night
hiker0200 wrote:
I'd like to see an announcement that they're not going to build that silly hut :roll: :wink:


Unfortunately, I do not have any control over that whatsoever but I do agree with you about building this and the necessity for it.

Greg

_________________
http://hchikingnh.blogspot.com/


Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:37 am
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:11 pm
Posts: 2515
Location: In your underwear drawer
Reply with quote
 Re: AMC Awards Night
Kevin Rooney wrote:
Consider reversing the order in which the awards are given, so that the first to be recognized are those who have completed the most difficult lists. So, the first would be Winter 111er's, then 111er's, then Winter NEHH, then NEHH, etc. The number of these recipients is relatively small, so it would have a minimal impact on all those who completed the shortest list, the NH 4's.

The above was the way it was done many years ago when when I rec'd my NH4's patch, and like most, I was in awe - and then all fired up - by those who'd completed these complex lists which I'd never heard of.

As it stands now, by the time these awards/patches are handed out, people are tired, clapped out, many have left, etc.

And thanks for asking for input. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone on the 4K Committee actually ask for suggestions.


Kevin, I do believe that was either discussed in the past or was brought up before but I do know I heard that once or twice on the awards ceremony night so I will see if I can re-hash the issue.

I know I am new to the committee but I think bringing a fresh approach to the community will be better in the long wrong. Besides, if we can't take suggestions or criticisms, we are doing a disservice to our patrons.

_________________
http://hchikingnh.blogspot.com/


Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:39 am
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:11 pm
Posts: 2515
Location: In your underwear drawer
Reply with quote
 Re: AMC Awards Night
New Hampshire wrote:
OK, OK, now that I had my fun I will put my serious game face on.....

So I had a thought today that may not be 100% conceivable, but it is an idea since now the committee offers a patch involving trail maintenance. Bear with me a second.

So in the adopt a trail program your 10 year anniversary is a big deal. At the adopters BBQ in September at Camp Dodge if anyone makes their 10 year anniversary they are given a "10 year adopter" vest. Now, generally the only people who ever hear of this are other adopters since the BBQ is only for adopters themselves. So I was thinking, maybe the 4K committee can kind of keep tabs with the AMC in Boston (since they are the ones who run the adoption program) and if any 10 year adopters pop up for that year you guys can give a sort of honorable mention at the ceremony. And since you invite the USFS to come in and set up shop at the ceremony maybe see if they want to participate in the 10 year honoring deal. I see this could potentially drum up a little interest for prospective adopters as well as give the actual 10 year adopters a bit more exposure than just the adopter BBQ, not to mention it would fit in perfectly with the 4 season patch.

Brian


Trying to figure out the best way to approach this one. Ill talk to you more about it and probably talk to Keith at some point.

_________________
http://hchikingnh.blogspot.com/


Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:40 am
Profile
Hiking Forums Are My Crack
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:39 am
Posts: 5664
Location: Not Mass 8)
Reply with quote
 Re: AMC Awards Night
I bailed this year before the actual awards started but from what I heard it went pretty well. I'd say just leave things be unless they can come up with more time saving ideas, that doesn't cheat anyone of their moment in the spotlight.

_________________
Adventure is not a race. - Unknown


Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:54 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:11 pm
Posts: 2515
Location: In your underwear drawer
Reply with quote
 Re: AMC Awards Night
JustJoe wrote:
I bailed this year before the actual awards started but from what I heard it went pretty well. I'd say just leave things be unless they can come up with more time saving ideas, that doesn't cheat anyone of their moment in the spotlight.


It went well, yes. Efficient? Thats what I am trying to figure out. We definitely want it to be a unique experience for everyone which is why I have turned to you guys for ideas, since most of you have been where future finishers will be.

_________________
http://hchikingnh.blogspot.com/


Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:10 pm
Profile
Hiking Forums Are My Crack
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:37 pm
Posts: 7137
Location: Exeter, NH
Reply with quote
 Re: AMC Awards Night
I've only been twice. I might go more if they gave an award for the person with the shortest trip there! :D The only thing I might change would be to ask the crowd to hold the applause until the end of each round. That would really speed things up. If you wanted to have say the 12 and under crowd (or whatever) called first and let them get individual applause that might be nice, but does every able bodied Tom, Dick and Harry really need to get applauded, hooted and hollered at individually like they just finished the 8000 meter peaks?


Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:13 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:11 pm
Posts: 2515
Location: In your underwear drawer
Reply with quote
 Re: AMC Awards Night
Granite Guy wrote:
I've only been twice. I might go more if they gave an award for the person with the shortest trip there! :D The only thing I might change would be to ask the crowd to hold the applause until the end of each round. That would really speed things up. If you wanted to have say the 12 and under crowd (or whatever) called first and let them get individual applause that might be nice, but does every able bodied Tom, Dick and Harry really need to get applauded, hooted and hollered at individually like they just finished the 8000 meter peaks?


There is a tentative plan in place for how we are probably going to try the award ceremony next year so hopefully we will see if it does indeed speed things up. If not, we go back to what we did or try something else.

In regards to the applause and what not, I think yes, everyone who goes should could the recognition they deserve. They earned it regardless of the list they finished. It might not seem much to you or I who have been there before them but it is still a big deal to some people. I know, because I work at the hospital with a few women who finished. They had the time of their lives doing the 48, they had fun hearing their names get called and having people recognize that.

I believe we had two or three standing ovations; and all three were well deserved.

Greg

_________________
http://hchikingnh.blogspot.com/


Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:10 pm
Profile
Hiking Forums Are My Crack
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:37 pm
Posts: 7137
Location: Exeter, NH
Reply with quote
 Re: AMC Awards Night
I agree they should all get the recognition they deserve with the name called and scroll recieved and a handshake or whatever, but when I was there it was just a couple people for most of the 300 people called. I get that it's a bigger deal to some than others, and I guess if people are their to get the moment in the sun and applause from a couple friends, parents or whatever they came with rather than just the recognition and a big well done to all applause at the end so be it. Almost all the other awards I have been to ask the applause to be held until the end if they want to speed things up. As the number of finishers continue to grow the one complaint I have heard is how long it takes, and as the night drags on later and later people filter out by the end. But if there's no interest in significantly speeding things up so be it. Maybe start it earlier in the day then, or do the awards first and then dinner?? Really it's done nicely, it just takes too long for many to stick it out to the end is about the only complaint I ever here.


Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:13 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:11 pm
Posts: 2515
Location: In your underwear drawer
Reply with quote
 Re: AMC Awards Night
Granite Guy wrote:
I agree they should all get the recognition they deserve with the name called and scroll recieved and a handshake or whatever, but when I was there it was just a couple people for most of the 300 people called. I get that it's a bigger deal to some than others, and I guess if people are their to get the moment in the sun and applause from a couple friends, parents or whatever they came with rather than just the recognition and a big well done to all applause at the end so be it. Almost all the other awards I have been to ask the applause to be held until the end if they want to speed things up. As the number of finishers continue to grow the one complaint I have heard is how long it takes, and as the night drags on later and later people filter out by the end. But if there's no interest in significantly speeding things up so be it. Maybe start it earlier in the day then, or do the awards first and then dinner?? Really it's done nicely, it just takes too long for many to stick it out to the end is about the only complaint I ever here.


I totally understand what you mean and meant in your first post. Like I said, plans are in the works to try something different, and speeding the process up is a definite must. We feel the amount of people will either increase or stagnate for awhile but the ceremonies of 300 people is probably long gone. We can see that with Franconia Notch, Appalachia, and any other sizeable parking area overflowing with vehicles on a nice day. With the new patch, we might see a slight increase in numbers for that as well.

I do believe the most of the people surveyed said the length was the issue. Its possible that after we try what we will next ceremony, that it might not work as well or it could be worse. Thats why it is important (to me as a new committee member) to get a feel for what people want or expect for us.

_________________
http://hchikingnh.blogspot.com/


Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:24 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 2363
Location: Natick, MA
Reply with quote
 Re: AMC Awards Night
I didn't go this year, but I do know the year they changed to the 2-at-once format made a huge difference on length. The year before it dragged on until nearly 10PM which was ridiculous, and almost everyone left by the time the "crazy" awards got called (winter lists, 111, you guys know what I mean), which was a major shame. The change didn't impact anyone's time in the spotlight, but did nearly halve the length and meant there were far more people still there at the end for the other lists. Let everyone get their individual recognition, but anything that can continue to shorten as the number attending each year grows can only be a good thing.

That, or start towing the people parking 1/2 mile from OBP to start up to the ridge with the 2000 others. When the lot is full, move on. Yes, that's a different discussion.

_________________
NH 4K x6 || NH W4K || NE4K || NEHH || WNE4K 64/67 || 52WAV 19/52

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/


Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:37 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Hike-NH.com based on STSoftware.