Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 FOT48 2016 
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: FOT48 2016
Well done everyone, thanks for sticking with it and making the most of the day. Glad everything worked out.

Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:18 am
Sovereign Woodsman

GG fails to mention (though Kathy knows I think) that he and theGibba crawled up to the summit with a small flag-on-a-stick that was in the hut. I think that flew for about 30s on the summit too. Once that strong front line moved through it was a pretty nice day (the crazy wind being what it was of course). The skies cleared up and the flag had no issue flying aside from the occasional odd lull in the winds (promptly followed by pounding gusts, lol).

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:26 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Kudo's to GG and thegibba! (and everyone else) That's what it's all about!

Only wish I was a stronger hiker to be able to join in.

Terry

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:09 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

madmattd wrote:
GG fails to mention (though Kathy knows I think) that he and theGibba crawled up to the summit with a small flag-on-a-stick that was in the hut. I think that flew for about 30s on the summit too.

If there is a day/event worthy of crawling to a summit this is it. The little flag performed admirably and probably got a good 60 second flight, which is less than my hat got I think. That may still be going for all I know.

Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:13 am
Sovereign Woodsman

madmattd wrote:
GG fails to mention (though Kathy knows I think) that he and theGibba crawled up to the summit with a small flag-on-a-stick

On a stick, with a brick, on a pole, from the knoll......any way. The agreement does not mention any particular size.
I did not know this until now, though I am not at all surprised.
I am grateful to be associated with such a group, humbled by the day's events and proud to be an American.
I know that sounds cliché, but it is heartfelt. My hat is off - literally - to you all. Whether you went or considered going and felt the conditions were outside your comfort level you have my respect.

Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:10 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Great job to all who participated. I wish I could have been a part again this year. Maybe 2017!

Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:54 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Shame I had to bail, but glad that all went well for the most part. Just got back from the Catskills, specifically Slide Mountain, and had a little mini-ceremony up there, so at least I got to honor those lost in some way.

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:54 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Congrats everyone. It sounds like you made the most of a challenging situation.

Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:01 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Jim is waiting to hear if Adams had a flag, if not he said he is going to count your flag on a stick for Madison and the flag you had at the hut for Adams. We will call it creative license on the matter. :D

Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:15 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

This had to be one of the best days I've had hiking; and interesting, too. Because I had no idea what I was going to do or what I was going to get into!

We had originally planned for Madison, figuring we'd start early so we'd get there in time. Meanwhile, ominous weather reports that only got worse with each day were giving me second thoughts. I'm slow enough, I can only imagine trying to hoist my sorry a$$ up there in a timely manner. Maybe it would be better to just do something else and let the guys know and thank them for letting us tag along.

Went to bed, got up early, really early. Made a pit stop in Lincoln and watched the various trail head parking lots to see if any one was going to brave their elements. Saw Cumulus getting out of his vehicle and yelled "Good luck!" He was probably wondering, "Who is that crazy woman?"

Then it started clearing near the 19 Mile brook Trail and I could see a young guy with a section of pole. We almost tried to catch up with Kathy, but ended up sticking with the original plan. Heading toward Appalachia, that beautiful blue faded away and we were looking at a very scary sky. Matt and Lisa were there already, and as soon as we pulled in the skies opened up. Lots of thunder and lightening, too! I was thinking, "I must have my brains in an unmentionable location to even think of this! I'm slow to begin with, I'll be starting this LATE, etc." But I got a good nap in while we were waiting for GG and Gibba.

What a surprise! I made it to the hut about 20 minutes later than book time! And while the rest were ahead of me, hikers coming down told me I wasn't that far back. Coming out of the scrub and seeing that flag brought tears to my eyes. That was a great idea to put it where they did. We got a few group shots and then Gibba and GG ascended Madison while the rest of us waited in the hut. Kathy mentioned "Hats off." In their case, it was literal :D .

Prema and I didn't have to turn on the lights until we were almost out of the woods. We hung out together, checked reports on how the other groups did, and then it was time to head off. Thank you so much, guys, for letting us tag along. And now a word to pgwido - you probably could do this, just go to one of the easier 4k's. If I could do this, I'm sure you could, too!

Chuck and Cheryl should have gone with us; there was a geocache!

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:38 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

A well hidden in plain sight geocache I may add. It's pretty much the only place you wouldn't be normally looking right there.

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10