Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The List round 3 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

The List round 3
Next batch up:

Dickey - Welch
Doubleheads
Firescrew
Flagg (Ossipees)
Fort
Foss
Franklin
Gap
Glenn Boulder
Great Hill

First, a couple links for Gap:
http://www.tnbdomeball.com/M-M%20sec%2021%2012-5-04%20troytoGap.html
http://www.nhmountainhiking.com/gap.html

Next item for me is Franklin. Like Boott Spur and Clay, does it really offer anything we don't already get on trail from nearby? My dedication to Boott Spur was marginal, as was Clay (despite loving Clay very much), so again I am on the fence with this one.

And I found this video for Fort:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se2K0rAjXlo

Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:51 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: The List round 3
Welch-Dickey should be under "W" :wink: Why not lump Foss in with those? You kinda have to go over Dickey to get to Foss anyway.

Maybe lump Firescrew in with Cardigan, another specific loop like Monte Rose on Monadnock?

While I do love Franklin, I'd probably have to lump it in with Boott Spur since I don't believe it provides a unique view. As I said before, I'll go for Clay, Hight, Guyot for the different perspective, I just don't see that with Franklin.

Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:16 pm

krpayer wrote:
Maybe lump Firescrew in with Cardigan, another specific loop like Monte Rose on Monadnock?

I would be more inclined to agree with this idea too. The Orange/Cardigan/Firescrew is a gem of a loop! 8)

Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:31 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Glen Boulder should be lumped in with bott spur since it's also on the way. Or perhaps part of the recommended route.

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:17 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I love Clay's view of both the Great Gulf itself and unique view of Washington and the GG headwall. One of the finest views in the Whites IMO. It gets my vote.

Someone is going to have to post some convincing evidence for Franklin however. I was completely unimpressed with it.

Was thinking the Same thing for Cardigan. Combine it with Firescrew. Orange seems far enough away and to have its own unique view of Cardigan that it could stand on its own I think.

Glen Boulder is really just a spot on a trail. Nothing really unique or summit like about it. Slide Peak was better IMO but also close to Boott Spur which I really liked. I could put one of them on the list (my vote would go to Boott) but probably not both.

Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:00 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I'm not sure who nominated it, but my guess/assumption is that Foss is the short hike in Madison rather than the sub-peak in between Tecumseh and Dickey? I could be wrong, if whomever mentioned it could clarify, that might help.

I thought the higher (and presumably 52WAV) N Doublehead was weak, but S Doubehead was very nice. Although I forgot my camera that day!

I couldn't vote for Firescrew after having already voted for Cardigan. Too redundant, IMO.

I'm the one who loves Flagg -- if people question that (and I know it still might not make it) I'd be happy to post some pics in support. Great little peak IMO!

Fort has views, no question. But a road walk to a communications building/tower for good but distant SNH views was borderline dreadful and significantly damaged the experience. I can't vote for this one.

I've not been to Franklin, and have still not set foot on the Glenn Boulder Trail so I guess I have no strong opinion.

I did recently visit Gap, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great little hike and easily worthy, IMO.

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:14 am

There I s only one Foss Mountain in NH. Foss Peak is the name of the bump near Welch/Dickey but according to the USGS it is not an official name. I don't know if I'm the only one who nominated Foss (Mountain if it was me) but I like it and it's has a really nice open summit and view from the O's to the Whites. http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?p=58731

I like Flagg too, and I like having out of the way peaks that aren't on other popular lists on this one, so I plan to vote for most of them, Flagg included. The last thing I want this list to be is a greatest hits list of other the other major lists out there.

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:59 am
Sovereign Woodsman

^That's what I thought re: Foss. It sounds like Kris above was thinking of the "other" one.

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:11 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks for clarifying, I don't get over to that corner of the mountains very much so I had assumed you meant the subpeak of Tecumseh.

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:53 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Im a yes for all of them!

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:32 am

Dickey - Welch - yay
Doubleheads - yay
Firescrew - Really should be a 2-fer with Cardigan.
Flagg (Ossipees) - yay
Fort - Haven't been but not much of anything in southern NH will get my vote. :twisted:
Foss - yay
Franklin - Not sure it's far enough away from Monroe to have a significantly different perspective.
Gap - See Fort 8)
Glenn Boulder - It would be tough to stop there but with limited time, not a bad place at all to hang out. This is just the view south.

Great Hill - Clueless

Last edited by JustJoe on Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:12 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
I don't know if I'm the only one who nominated Foss (Mountain if it was me) but I like it and it's has a really nice open summit and view from the O's to the Whites. http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?p=58731

Yup, that was you, and because of that was the reason I assumed we all knew that this (not the W/D one) was what we were talking about. 8)

Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:19 pm

JustJoe wrote:
Great Hill - Clueless

Here's a clue :wink: ...http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=5464 It has a tower, but it's a national historic something or other, so it should be there a while.

If we want Glen Boulder on there it would make a good suggested route to Slide Peak, which is actually something more than just a spot on a trail with a big rock. The view is better too.

Fort...http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?p=57416 Not sure if it gets my vote or not. Nice view, but that access road. Ugh. :|

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:48 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
If we want Glen Boulder on there it would make a good suggested route to Slide Peak, which is actually something more than just a spot on a trail with a big rock. The view is better too.

That's also my favorite section of that trail.

But if you're going to go that far you may as well keep going to Boott Spur. Glen Boulder gives you the option of a short hike with good views. And eliminates a suggested/mandatory route to Boott Spur. :wink:

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:14 pm

Even though Joe jumped the gun :P , it is now Friday and voting opens. My picks:

Dickey - Welch yes
Doubleheads yes
Firescrew (as part of Cardigan loop, yes)
Flagg (Ossipees) abstain (I have no memory of this one, so....)
Fort yes
Foss yes
Franklin no
Gap yes
Glenn Boulder no
Great Hill yes

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next