Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The list, round 1 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

The list, round 1
OK, time to kick off the vote portion. The way I am going to make this work is I will post in 10 peak batches for voting. We will take a few days to give people the ability to comment (if they feel it necessary) on why any of the peaks in that batch deserve to be, or not to be (that is the question :lol:) on the list and to persuade the rest of us to your point of view. We will then take it to the vote, where a majority of "yes" puts that peak onto the list. When we get to the voting (lets say we go to Thursday for comments and take from Friday until Monday for voting...sound reasonable?) I think a simple solution will be for everyone commenting to copy and paste all 10 peaks and simple put "yes" or "no" next to it. I will tally the votes from there. OK, so here we go. First 10 peaks on the list are:

Avalon
Bald - Artists Bluff
Bald - Monte Rosa
Baldface, North
Baldface, South
Belknap
Bemis
Black (Benton)
Black Cap
Boott Spur

My comments about this:

Bald/Monte Rosa....my only quibble about this is if we are going to vote Monadnock on, then perhaps we should delete this from the peak list itself, and use a "suggested" route up via Monte Rosa (frankly I would say "Monadnock via Cliff Walk and Monte Rosa" as being a prefect route option)

Also, I think Joe was correct with the Baldfaces by saying they are so close enough that it is a bit redundant to list both on there, so either do one, or do the combo thing of North and South Baldface.

Brian

Mon May 30, 2016 9:31 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: The list, round 1
Here's my take on the first 10. Belknap, YUK! :P Honestly, I personally was totally unimpressed.

Without looking back, I think you mentioned at least that meadow, at 3000' on the way to Bemis.
Definitely a great spot.

But that comes after the blow-down field which in 2014 is even tougher than it was do to the
bootleg trail is completely grown in, in that area. I don't see your average views seeker taking that on.

Actually the summit is even better, but again, not a hike for most.

Other than that, the rest looks good to me. :)

Mon May 30, 2016 10:30 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I agree with Joe on Bemis, while it does have good views it was quite challenging to follow the trail through the spruce area (just below the meadow) and the blowdowns can be quite a headache to deal with (especially for non-bushwhackers). Oscar and The Nubble are much better defined and easy to follow.

I'd drop Bemis from this round and combine the Baldfaces (or pick your favorite).

Mon May 30, 2016 11:52 am

I had the same concerns about Bemis, but I figured I would see what others take on it was. I was on the fence with it, so it wouldn't take much to push me off. 8)

Mon May 30, 2016 12:25 pm

So was a decision made about use of fire towers to obtain views. For Belknap it doesn't matter to me, I think I say no either way. Tower view is too obstructed. The viewpoint on the Blue trail doesn't make it worthy IMO. Unless I've missed something I give it a thumbs down.

Monadnock with a suggested route of Cliff Walk/Bald/Monte sounds like a winner to me.

I'd pick North Baldface as having the better views if we need just one, but if we're suggesting routes the loop would be the way to go I think.

Mon May 30, 2016 8:56 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
So was a decision made about use of fire towers to obtain views.

I can't say for sure if we got any kind of consensus, but I personally plan on voting them the way we discussed and saying "no" unless views can be had regardless of the tower or not. As we talked about, with places like Smarts and Green, when the tower gets closed for any reason and you can't safely climb it, then what was the point of going for the views. 8)

Brian

Tue May 31, 2016 6:21 am

Well then, I guess we can cross Belknap off the list. :)

Tue May 31, 2016 7:23 am

Well, you can't eliminate all towers from the list that the summit doesn't have as good a view as the tower.
1 comes to mind right off. Kearsarge North. You definitely need to climb the tower for the 360 views.
Really isn't much to see of you don't. And what views they are. :D

Tue May 31, 2016 7:44 am

JustJoe wrote:
Well, you can't eliminate all towers from the list that the summit doesn't have as good a view as the tower.
1 comes to mind right off. Kearsarge North. You definitely need to climb the tower for the 360 views.
Really isn't much to see of you don't. And what views they are. :D

Well, I guess we could split hairs and say that the one on K-sarge is technically an "observation" tower and not a "firetower" and is thus exempted from deletion. :twisted: :lol: :D

Tue May 31, 2016 5:24 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Im voting with Joe, no Bemis, belknap is meh....

Tue May 31, 2016 7:12 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Combine the boldfaces. Require the loop.

Belknap gets the boot. Views of antennas insta- DQ and everything else is too far away.

Should we discard trails that are really hard to follow on Bemis? There should be some hard ones, no? Without the risk of defeat there is no thrill of victory. I've never been to a lot of these peaks so it's hard for me to judge. Is it worse than the current state of the Mt. Clinton trail? Perhaps this list will return that trail to glory.

Tue May 31, 2016 7:42 pm

thegibba wrote:

Should we discard trails that are really hard to follow on Bemis? There should be some hard ones, no? Without the risk of defeat there is no thrill of victory. I've never been to a lot of these peaks so it's hard for me to judge. Is it worse than the current state of the Mt. Clinton trail?

The difference is The Bemis Trail was abandoned a long time ago. It was, for years, being illegally maintained by a local women. She passed away several years ago and the section we've mention is basically a straight up bushwhack of the nastiest sorts. Like thick as hell spruce where you can't see your legs, never mind your feet.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:57 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I'm with what appears to be the majority on Baldfaces being a hike rather than a specific or two specific spots. Combine them into "The Baldfaces" and it's an easy win, IMO.

I'm not sure exactly what to do with Bald/Monte Rosa/Monadnock. I feel like Bald is the best spot on the mountain other than the summit -- or in some ways better than the summit. But it seems redundant to have Bald AND Monadnock, and it would somehow pain me to have the sub-peak without the actual summit. I agree that Cliff Walk to Bald Mtn and loop down over Monte Rosa is the best day I've had on the mountain, but I'm still not sure how exactly I'd like to see it handled.

Bald -- Artist's Bluff hasn't had any discussion. I was there a long time ago, and it was nice but I don't remember my socks getting blown off. I'd like to see some justification for it or else I'm likely to vote no. Make your case!

Belknap is sweet and I hate you all. I've been there three times and liked it each one. I can see this is a losing battle, but know that I'm cursing each of you.

Black Cap is nice because it's super easy and your non-hiking friends and family can be on a trail and get some views, but is it impressive enough for what we're shooting for? Again, make your case!

If Bemis is as tough as Joe makes it sound, I'd have real misgivings. Although part of me wants to check it out, you know, for research purposes.

The others are easy wins, IMO.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:05 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I would suggest that anything that is not reached by an at least semi-maintained, pseudo-official (a la The Nubble) should be out, or at least on some sort of "supplement" list only. Thus Bemis gets the axe (hehehe), though I intend to head there someday (seems I better make that sooner than later). I'm not sure where to classify Nancy if that is on the culling list for later, but it probably gets cut too, though that herd path is pretty easy to follow.

I can't speak to Artist's Bluff, having never been there personally, but I hear it is pretty nice.

Baldfaces as one unit - a la Welch-Dickey on that "other" list ;)

I can't believe people aren't objecting to Boott Spur. What a worthless crag :lol: :wink:

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:05 am

Grindboy wrote:
Bald -- Artist's Bluff hasn't had any discussion. I was there a long time ago, and it was nice but I don't remember my socks getting blown off. I'd like to see some justification for it or else I'm likely to vote no. Make your case!

Exhibit A your honor http://www.forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=6456

Personally I think this is a great views hike. It also has a nice scramble up Bald Mountain which gives it a fun factor many smaller hikes lack. If we did have a ratings system this one could be a good beginner/intermediate hike.

Black Cap is nice because it's super easy and your non-hiking friends and family can be on a trail and get some views, but is it impressive enough for what we're shooting for? Again, make your case!

Exhibit B your honor http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=6663-

I don't feel as strongly about the views from this one in general but the one from the ledges just below the summit is nice and quite encompassing for a smaller hike. Also a good birds-eye view of Conway, and again, a good green dot or whatever if e rate difficulty in one way or another.

Grindboy wrote:
Belknap is sweet and I hate you all. I've been there three times and liked it each one. I can see this is a losing battle, but know that I'm cursing each of you.

I was there once on a hazy day and once in the clouds. I remember the tower structure as being dominant and messing up the view. A decent view spanning the Belknaps I guess. Feel free to make a case for it, but I don't see how it ranks above Bald/Artists for views, or even Black cap for that matter. I have a report on that one too somewhere but darned if I can find it. :? Of course, if all the tower hikes are going to get the thumbs down it's all a moot point anyhow your honor. :D

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next