[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - Cardigan - Please avoid

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Cardigan - Please avoid 
Sovereign Woodsman

Cardigan - Please avoid
This from New England Trail Conditions

Trail above 2500' at the well still trying to thaw. Long stretches of mud that people in sneakers are bypassing, increasing erosion. Much barricading needed, trail already drained above and below every gully. Numerous fixtures need reset or redig because the frost went deep due to lack of snow. Cardigan Highlanders Volunteer Trail Crew will fix these problems when the ground thaws. Meantime, we ask that people PLEASE HIKE ELSEWHERE TIL MEMORIAL DAY. Give the trail a chance to firm up. Thank you.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:51 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Cardigan - Please avoid
That same do-gooder posted that same thing a month ago, before thegibba and I hiked Cardigan. The trails were fine. Yes spots are still going through the freeze and thaw cycles, this person hiked it right after we just got snow so it probably refrozen after being thawed and dry for the previous month. But it may continue to do that until the nights don't dip below freezing. But less so there than on the higher peaks. I found the trails to be in great shape, with a little ice and mud in the spots that always have puddles and mud, which is obvious by the stepping stones and bog bridges. We spoke with two guys who came up west ridge and said it was dry and had only minor avoidable ice. I also takes with the AMC caretaker there for about half an hour and he never mentioned anything like that, in fact the lodge had large groups coming in that weekend (like 30 people large) and just wanted to know when we were finished if there were any really bad ice floes left inexperienced hikers should avoid. Didn't care one bit about using the trails. If the AMC had advised against it I might care. The Squam Lakes association ended their mud season closures too and they are very picky about when they open up their trails.

This know-it-all person needs to just mind their own business. The West Ridge is a superhighway to begin with. Really, if you can't hike there, you can't hike anywhere north of the Belknaps in NH until June. All trails will all be thawing out and highly vulnerable to boots and erosion until bone dry. Stay home until the 4th of July people or go hike in Mass! The trails are still thawing north of the lakes region, especially up high! The end is near!! All is lost!! I know more than all of you and the AMC about this stuff!!! :roll: OK. Blood is flowing. Rant is over. Time to go for a hike. 8)

Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:45 am
Master Mountaineer

Who needs actions when you got words?

Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:39 am
Sovereign Woodsman

:( :evil: :twisted: Or do housework/home improvement in MA :twisted: :evil: :(

Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:14 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:18 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

This rant reminded me of one best rants from one of the best comedians we ever had. George Carlin.

Not safe for work or little kids depending on how you roll.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:56 pm

If that's him Walrus than I guess he probably does know more than me. And if that's him he should attach his name and credentials in some way, such as head maintaIner of the trail or whatever, and maybe people would listen. Maybe. I'm not mad as in angry mad, but I sure don't get why Mr. know it all (literally if that's him) wants to keep everyone off Mt. Cardigan, singularly, for the entire months of April and May. Personally prefer it when people mind their own business as far as publicly owned things like this are concerned. And having been there personally I can say that this singular mountain is no different than the rest of them, so asking people to save "his" mountain by hiking elsewhere and possibly damaging other mountains doesn't sit right with me. The 4Ks are in similar state of thaw right now. How would you take it if an individual asked you politely to stay off of them for the months of April and May every year? Or if the state actually closed them like Vermont does? I'm sure all the gridders would adhere to those requests. So I'll as politely. The 4ks in NH are still thawing. Everyone please stay off of them until at least Memorial Day so as not to damage them. Thanks!

Sun May 01, 2016 8:02 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Sun May 01, 2016 1:56 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Sun May 01, 2016 5:28 pm

What?? I asked politely! If we can be asked to avoid a state park for two months of the year by and individual what's wrong with me asking everyone to stay out of the National Forest for the same exact thing? :roll: :D

Sun May 01, 2016 8:44 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

uhhhh, nothing? It's a valid request. I'm probably not going to comply, but some people might and that could make a difference. I'm not going to disparage the suggestion, or insult the person making it. Calm down.

Sun May 01, 2016 10:10 pm

Well, we can agree to disagree here. I'm not insulting him. If he know's it all and is thinks he's doing good so be it. I see it as him wanting to protect his pet trail. So sure, he can ask politely, but I don't think it's his place if he's not in some official capacity to ask people to stay off the trails in a state park for two months, no matter how nicely he asks. And really, I didn't think he asked all that nicely but that's neither here nor there.

Sun May 01, 2016 11:04 pm
Master Mountaineer

Who needs actions when you got words?

Mon May 02, 2016 6:55 am

Mon May 02, 2016 7:31 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Maybe I'm biased because in my work I am officially allowed to tell people to do things(sometimes in their own homes), and various simple things( eg, "you can't park here") can provoke a violent response. I'm convinced(and I see it in myself sometimes) that the famous New England stoicism is merely a cover to deal with hyper-emotional personalities that are incapable of level-headed confrontation. He has a pet trail, so what? We need more, not less, of that. When everyone is responsible, nobody is responsible.

But you gave view clearing and flagging as similar examples, but those are not really equal. Yes, they are both illegal while mud trail hiking isn't, but no regular citizen has an official capacity to stop them. Should a witness mind his own business? Stomping all over alpine vegetation mostly isn't criminal, I think, so should no one ever say anything to the offenders? I feel that community is lost when conflicts cannot be resolved without appeals to authority.

Personally I usually won't say anything, even if they are clearly breaking the law, because I'm on my time and want to enjoy it. 2 years ago on Galehead I came across a large group of boy scouts setting up camp essentially on the viewpoint and immediate area around it. Right past there I overheard 2 adults, I'm assuming husband and wife, talking about the legality of the site and the man says something like "Well we're camping HERE, let's see them try and stop us" They were all wearing T-shirts with their town and troop number on it, so I looked it up later and their facebook said they had a great time camping that weekend. I kind of wish I had said something there because what the hell are they trying to teach these kids?

Tue May 03, 2016 11:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next